Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tie trunk closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at ordering my X to replace the S and in the process will be giving up the ability to carry something long if I need to. I was just wondering though for a short enough trip if the X has some available hook/loop/latch that can be used to tie the door down if its not able to close all the way?

Something along the lines of doing this... I know there are loops within the car but wasn't sure about on the door.

Can anyone comment?

68k0665s01.jpg

Reactions: Fiddler
Is it worth the risk to potentially damage the rear lift gate for thousands of dollars of repair and weeks out of service? You will be much better off renting a truck from home depot for $20 per hour (or whatever the going rate is in your area).

Sure there's a chance of anything but has anyone actually had damage from tying the trunk down if anyone has or is the X insanely fragile? I don't have a source but my gut tells me around the world there are tens of thousands of cars on the road at some point every day with the trunk tied shut because someone has something big in the back. I could see someone failing to tie it well and your item falls out and is damaged but as far as damage to the vehicle seems much less likely.

I don't want to get involved with the debate on whether or not you should do this, but I just want to answer the OP question.

Technically, you can tie down the trunk, but the hatch latching mechanism has a fairly small hole to attach to. You won't be able to use the bungee hook in your image as it won't fit through the hole (see image #1) unless you flip the locking mechanism, which I wouldn't recommend because it might confuse the vehicle's software.

You could make a metal hook from an old clothes hanger or use thin rope/bungee to tie a loop, and then use a hook bungee to tie it all down. I did find 1 large plastic bungee hook that would fit (see last photo).

Here is the upper latching mechanism:
CVNbAKZ.jpg

Here is the lower connection point:
DiEezd0.jpg

You can use a metal hook or rope to make a link for the bungee hook like this (I only used string for demonstration purposes):
gk55zHk.jpg

Here is the big picture:
o0ByXxo.jpg

Large plastic bungee hook that fits:
DONcQVT.jpg

Last edited:
Screwbal, "I've been looking at ordering my X to replace the S and in the process will be giving up the ability to carry something long if I need to."
The MX 5 seat has 2nd row folding and huge cargo capacity, but I guess you need more than 5 seats. Maybe the 6 seat is a adequate compromise.

Screwbal, "I've been looking at ordering my X to replace the S and in the process will be giving up the ability to carry something long if I need to."
The MX 5 seat has 2nd row folding and huge cargo capacity, but I guess you need more than 5 seats. Maybe the 6 seat is a adequate compromise.

It is something that is definitely on my radar and I'm closely watching the forums for some real pictures or videos on the layout in the real world. 5 seat has the most cargo space but with only 5 seats the real usefulness of the FWD's falls off greatly. This all popped in my head thinking, If I had a model X now and during black Friday (or any other time) went and bought a 65" TV which configuration works and left me wondering if you could tie the hatch shut for a short enough trip from the store to home. On the spec sheets the 6 seat has more total space than my Model S however it's not the long and flat continuous space for a single long wide item. .... Decisions Decisions ... :)

We had one BMW with a couple of dimples in the trunk lid from doing that with a bungee. Rope or twine might be be better to eliminate the spring bounce over bumps. The X should have enough interior trim to avoid this problem I would think.

I figure this would be eminently feasible for the X, since no exhaust fumes would come in through the open hatch, at least from the X.

OR, you could open both falcon wing doors and carry a load of 8' 2 X 4's . Or maybe 12 footers and take all three lanes of traffic :)
Seriously though carrying things in my S from Lowe's has become a bit more of a problem since I sold my Yukon XL. I put a whole decks worth of wood in that thing :) Still getting used to having a car "for me".