Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Shop for Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(LMB spouse)

Just to be clear, I don't think there's any tire that I'd call overkill for winter conditions. I grew up and learned to drive in Northern Ontario, lived and worked in Waterloo/Hamilton/Burlington for almost 10 years before moving to the west coast. Driving in BC mountain ranges presents some of the nastiest winter driving conditions imaginable, and you can drive up one side of a mountain in one set of conditions, then down the other in an entirely different weather cell.

So I do want top-notch "performance" winter tires, but don't want to sacrifice wet weather capability to get it!

Have you considered/eliminated the Nokian WRG3?

I did, and price for the R2 and WRG3 are very similar, but I did find some reviews that suggested the R2 has better snow/ice performance. I think some of that is sacrificed in the WRG3 to make in a four season tire. If one were to choose one tire to use all year, the G3 would be an awesome choice. I have the 21s for spring/summer/fall driving (like riding in a boxcar) so IMO a set of R2s will fill the gap over winter months.

Went to the local tire joint that I've dealt with for decades, I've gone ahead and reserved a set of Hakka R2s to be mounted next week. Priced at $324.67 per tire, less the $70 per set rebate from Nokian.

I just talked to the Mississauga service centre and was quoted the $2700 price for the Sottozero2 all in. To cinch the deal he said that the annual seasonal changeover is included. I believe this is good value considering it includes TPSs and will be done correctly for the Tesla. I believe he said it would be an extra $100/yr to store the tires, but I declined as I've got the space.

You didn't go to the Kal Tire on Boundary in Burnaby by any chance? The guy I talked with there said there was another Tesla owner that ordered the same tires and had the set on reserve for later installation.

While I think the R2s are an awesome winter tire... I don't think I'd drive all the way there to get them... I'm in Ontario :)

I've updated my location now as well :)

^^^

Yah, I noticed from a post in a different thread that you were pricing tires in T dot area!

- - - Updated - - -

All of that is true, but the WRG3 is better in wet conditions, and I thought you see a lot of that.

Oh, yah ... absolutely correct. But even though 90% of my winter driving is rain and slush, I still do enough mountain driving that I don't want to sacrifice the best snow/ice performance I can get! I had a good technical look at the R2's features for handling and throwing off water. It looked pretty good, so I can likely get something better for full on rain conditions, I'm thinking it won't be a terrible sacrifice. I won't be pushing the envelope in wet conditions anyway.

In summary ...

diqyg.jpg

Today I installed the Nokian Hakka R2. Of course I can't comment on the performance since it's early and we haven't got any snow yet. However, here are some comments based on a 25KM drive:
1- They are so FREAKIN' quiet compared to the Goodyears RS-A2 :cursing:. Not a small, but a HUGE difference! And we are talking about winter vs all-season tires here!
Seriously Tesla, what where you thinking when you thought of having those horrible tires as OEM! Those tires will never be mounted again!

2- Precision! I don't know how to explain what I felt but now I have more control over the car, and the feedback is superb!

3- They look sportier on the car and more aggressive. The Nokians don't have the extended rubber that protects the rims from being curbed, that's why they look like low-profile tires.

Today I installed the Nokian Hakka R2. Of course I can't comment on the performance since it's early and we haven't got any snow yet. However, here are some comments based on a 25KM drive:
1- They are so FREAKIN' quiet compared to the Goodyears RS-A2 :cursing:. Not a small, but a HUGE difference! And we are talking about winter vs all-season tires here!
Seriously Tesla, what where you thinking when you thought of having those horrible tires as OEM! Those tires will never be mounted again!

2- Precision! I don't know how to explain what I felt but now I have more control over the car, and the feedback is superb!

3- They look sportier on the car and more aggressive. The Nokians don't have the extended rubber that protects the rims from being curbed, that's why they look like low-profile tires.

Did you mount them on the Tesla rims?
Where did you buy them?

You didn't go to the Kal Tire on Boundary in Burnaby by any chance? The guy I talked with there said there was another Tesla owner that ordered the same tires and had the set on reserve for later installation.

That's probably me. I went back in September or so and ordered a set of R2. Once they arrived I booked an appointment this past Saturday for the installation. They assured me that it was OK to leave the tires in the shop for a couple weeks until the appointment since I had already paid a $500 deposit on them. I went there, waited about an hour until they got the car up on the lift, then they told me that they had given my tires away to somebody else. I was pretty pissed. I had asked multiple times if I need to take them home and bring them back and they said I can leave them there, they're my tires, etc. etc. Grrr. So they've had to order another set for me from Edmonton and I'm booked to go in tomorrow after work. Very annoying since we had to re-arrange a lot of our Saturday afternoon to accomodate the appointment. I also have my first yearly service appointment on Thursday and wanted to make sure the new tires were on. And I'm heading to Europe on Saturday for work and my wife will be driving the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to the local tire joint that I've dealt with for decades, I've gone ahead and reserved a set of Hakka R2s to be mounted next week. Priced at $324.67 per tire, less the $70 per set rebate from Nokian.

How do I get this rebate?

Have driven about 800 miles on the Nokian R2s. First set of winter tires and no snow yet. They aren't very loud which is nice. They are a little squishy when you push the car. Definitely notice a change from the Conti summer tire but that's expected. So far so good.

I went there, waited about an hour until they got the car up on the lift, then they told me that they had given my tires away to somebody else. I was pretty pissed. I had asked multiple times if I need to take them home and bring them back and they said I can leave them there, they're my tires, etc. etc. Grrr. So they've had to order another set for me from Edmonton and I'm booked to go in tomorrow after work. Very annoying since we had to re-arrange a lot of our Saturday afternoon to accomodate the appointment. I also have my first yearly service appointment on Thursday and wanted to make sure the new tires were on. And I'm heading to Europe on Saturday for work and my wife will be driving the car.

Hmmm ... I am assuming they didn't give your tires to me, as I waited a full week. Ordered on Friday 24th and they told me that they would be ordered from Edmonton. Dropped my wheels at the shop on Monday 27th. They weren't available for pick-up until 31st.

How do I get this rebate?

They should just give you a form to take home and send to Nokian. when you get the tires. If they forget (not likely), you can download the form from here --> Kaltire - Nokian Rebate

Mail the completed form with your receipt and they send a prepaid Visa.

Hmmm ... I am assuming they didn't give your tires to me, as I waited a full week. Ordered on Friday 24th and they told me that they would be ordered from Edmonton. Dropped my wheels at the shop on Monday 27th. They weren't available for pick-up until 31st.

They should just give you a form to take home and send to Nokian. when you get the tires. If they forget (not likely), you can download the form from here --> Kaltire - Nokian Rebate

Mail the completed form with your receipt and they send a prepaid Visa.

I got the idea that they gave them to somebody who needed them on very short notice because they were going on a trip into the mountains or something like that. In the end it's fine, the tires showed up yesterday and I'll get them installed tomorrow. The most annoying bit was rescheduling our busy Saturday around getting them installed, waiting an hour past the appointment time and then being told our tires had been given to somebody else. He said he'll give me a discount for my trouble so all will be well.

Thanks for the tip on the discount!

I bought from 1010 tires 4 Michelin x-ice mounted on Canada-made Fast Wheels Rennen (Painted/Hyper Silver) Wheels 19" x 8.5" 5/120 40 72.60
They look awsome

BEWARE these rims dont fit!!! Something (brakes) abuts the rim but only on the front wheels
I learned the hard way this weekend when i installed them, car wont move, very strange feeling...
I'm waiting a call from the seller (1010 tires)
I'm pissed because it's supposed to be garanteed fit and they chose the rims specs themselves
Also, winter is coming...(I already heard this somewhere:wink:)
Louis
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 181
FOOOOOLKKKKKKSSSSSSS!

Sorry but I just experienced something that I never expected!!!!

It's my first winter with the Tesla, and the people of Ottawa know how it is outside today: Snow, water, slush, or call it whatever you wanna call it. I'm not sure if it's the Tesla or the Nokians, but the combination is EXCEPTIONALLY OUTSTANDING!!!!

The Tesla now is WAY better than my previous 2012 Tiguan 4Motions Highline with the Bridgestone Blizzak tires. Some stupid driver in front of me stopped like an idiot and I was going to rear end him (that was 30 minutes ago) and the car stopped as if there was a miracle power! Then, I thought I would do some tests since the roads were empty close to where I live. I went on the right side of the road and let the right wheels on the snow and stepped on the brake as if I had to. The car was straight and didn't even slip a bit. I pressed the accelerator on a few turns and it was turning flawlessly.

I'm really happy with the setup I have and I wish for everyone to have this same unbelievable experience. The current reviews on the Tesla + Nokians are not giving justice to how really good it is.

Bottom line: I'M HAPPY :rolleyes:

FOOOOOLKKKKKKSSSSSSS!

Sorry but I just experienced something that I never expected!!!!

It's my first winter with the Tesla, and the people of Ottawa know how it is outside today: Snow, water, slush, or call it whatever you wanna call it. I'm not sure if it's the Tesla or the Nokians, but the combination is EXCEPTIONALLY OUTSTANDING!!!!

The Tesla now is WAY better than my previous 2012 Tiguan 4Motions Highline with the Bridgestone Blizzak tires. Some stupid driver in front of me stopped like an idiot and I was going to rear end him (that was 30 minutes ago) and the car stopped as if there was a miracle power! Then, I thought I would do some tests since the roads were empty close to where I live. I went on the right side of the road and let the right wheels on the snow and stepped on the brake as if I had to. The car was straight and didn't even slip a bit. I pressed the accelerator on a few turns and it was turning flawlessly.

I'm really happy with the setup I have and I wish for everyone to have this same unbelievable experience. The current reviews on the Tesla + Nokians are not giving justice to how really good it is.

Bottom line: I'M HAPPY :rolleyes:

Glad to hear this :) My R2s are waiting at Kal Tire, my Tesla base 19"s should be here any day now... then my car comes mid Dec :)