Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Shop for Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I was wondering what rims, if any, in particular. The Tesla winter package seems pricey....I'm checking out some after markets (19 and 20) for around the same price, but that look better and give me my choice of tire

Yes. I was wondering what rims, if any, in particular. The Tesla winter package seems pricey....I'm checking out some after markets (19 and 20) for around the same price, but that look better and give me my choice of tire

There is a big thread about 19" rim alternatives to check out. Tesla won't mount after market rims though so keep that in mind. The Cyclone rims don't look bad if you powder coat them a darker color. You can always buy Tesla rims and then send service center whatever tires you want (Like the Nokian R2s) and they will mount them.

Tesla won't mount after market rims though so keep that in mind. The Cyclone rims don't look bad if you powder coat them a darker color. You can always buy Tesla rims and then send service center whatever tires you want (Like the Nokian R2s) and they will mount them.

I don't see what the big deal is with having Tesla mount the tires. When I bought my Nokian winter tires, the tire shop I purchased them from mounted and balanced them for me for free. When I took the car in to Tesla for service, they had no issues or concerns doing an alignment and rotation with my Rial rims. Am I missing something?

I don't see what the big deal is with having Tesla mount the tires. When I bought my Nokian winter tires, the tire shop I purchased them from mounted and balanced them for me for free. When I took the car in to Tesla for service, they had no issues or concerns doing an alignment and rotation with my Rial rims. Am I missing something?

Maybe it depends on the service center but I thought the corporate policy was as the manufacturer they wouldn't want to take responsibility for after market rims. They'll put other tires on Tesla rims if you sign a waiver.

Maybe it depends on the service center but I thought the corporate policy was as the manufacturer they wouldn't want to take responsibility for after market rims. They'll put other tires on Tesla rims if you sign a waiver.

Not sure, but if I'm buying tires elsewhere I am not sure why I'd want to haul them over to a Tesla SC to have them mounted. I'd just let the shop where I bought them mount them for me. They usually do that for free as part of the purchase. (I suppose if you buy tires on-line you may want Tesla to do it).

Not sure, but if I'm buying tires elsewhere I am not sure why I'd want to haul them over to a Tesla SC to have them mounted. I'd just let the shop where I bought them mount them for me. They usually do that for free as part of the purchase. (I suppose if you buy tires on-line you may want Tesla to do it).

Having it done somewhere else isn't a problem, only when Tesla is involved.

That's what I did. Ordered the Nokian R2s from Tiresbyweb and shipped them to the Tesla service center where they mounted them on Tesla cyclone rims.

Gang - I just ordered the 19" tire package. I was told $2700 over the phone. I wonder if they made a mistake? I would believe $3200 also. Anyway I booked myself in for an appointment.

This is way better than the $4250 pricing they had before. They obviously went to bat for us up here in Canada. Nice!

Thanks for the clarification! That is great news. I didn't remember there was an Aero wheel so I thought the standard and aero were the same. So I'm paying WAY less than my initial quote of $4250. I'm thrilled. Thank you Tesla! Winter tires + wheels + tire sensors mounted and balanced for that price is an absolute bargain.

Question for those in the area of SW BC and NW US. I'm on the hunt for a good set of winter tires, but of course we have different conditions than the rest of Canada. Typically only 3-5 actual snow days in the city, the rest of the winter is just monsoon season. So we need a tire that will not only work well in the snow for those trips to Whistler and along the Coquihalla to the interior, but excellent wet roadholding and resistance to hydroplaning is a top priority. The snow, when we get it, is high in moisture content and is a lot more slick than cold, dry snow. So, I'm considering;

- Pirelli Sottozero 3
- Pirelli Sottozero Serie II
- Nokian Hakka R2
- Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32
- Michelin X-ice

I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone with some experience or ideas. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at tire reviews online, but most of them focus on pure winter performance for winter tires, don't spend much time looking at conditions I'm accustomed to.

Question for those in the area of SW BC and NW US. I'm on the hunt for a good set of winter tires, but of course we have different conditions than the rest of Canada. Typically only 3-5 actual snow days in the city, the rest of the winter is just monsoon season. So we need a tire that will not only work well in the snow for those trips to Whistler and along the Coquihalla to the interior, but excellent wet roadholding and resistance to hydroplaning is a top priority. The snow, when we get it, is high in moisture content and is a lot more slick than cold, dry snow. So, I'm considering;

- Pirelli Sottozero 3
- Pirelli Sottozero Serie II
- Nokian Hakka R2
- Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32
- Michelin X-ice

I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone with some experience or ideas. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at tire reviews online, but most of them focus on pure winter performance for winter tires, don't spend much time looking at conditions I'm accustomed to.
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 could be an overkill in your case. There is an all-season-like version that some here have mentioned. If I were you, I would go with that.

Just to be clear, I don't think there's any tire that I'd call overkill for winter conditions. I grew up and learned to drive in Northern Ontario, lived and worked in Waterloo/Hamilton/Burlington for almost 10 years before moving to the west coast. Driving in BC mountain ranges presents some of the nastiest winter driving conditions imaginable, and you can drive up one side of a mountain in one set of conditions, then down the other in an entirely different weather cell.

So I do want top-notch "performance" winter tires, but don't want to sacrifice wet weather capability to get it!

Just to be clear, I don't think there's any tire that I'd call overkill for winter conditions. I grew up and learned to drive in Northern Ontario, lived and worked in Waterloo/Hamilton/Burlington for almost 10 years before moving to the west coast. Driving in BC mountain ranges presents some of the nastiest winter driving conditions imaginable, and you can drive up one side of a mountain in one set of conditions, then down the other in an entirely different weather cell.

So I do want top-notch "performance" winter tires, but don't want to sacrifice wet weather capability to get it!
Ok, I thought you won't be driving in real snowing weather. I'm personally getting the Nokians R2. They are the best and I haven't seen anyone yet who have said otherwise. Next tires on the list are the x-ice. But the Nokians are much better based on every single review I've read so far.

Ok, I thought you won't be driving in real snowing weather. I'm personally getting the Nokians R2. They are the best and I haven't seen anyone yet who have said otherwise. Next tires on the list are the x-ice. But the Nokians are much better based on every single review I've read so far.

I went through last winter with Hakka R2s and was very pleased. I had come from an AWD car and was very worried about what to expect in the winter, but the car performed like a champ with these tires. I had the opportunity to drive a loaner Model S with the Tesla winter tire package and it was horrible in comparison. I got stuck in my own driveway with the loaner while my own car had no problem at all.