Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting, but not the roof or windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the U.S. Deep South where the sun is very strong and the temperatures are high. I’ve never had car windows tinted before, but I am thinking about it for my incoming MYLR.

I called around today asking about ceramic tinting, and the one place I got a hold of quoted me $550 to tint everything “except the roof and the windshield,” which would be $450 and $300 extra, respectively.

The fact that they had both the windshield and the roof each as standalone add-ons made me wonder - other than cost, is there a reason someone in my climate would not want their roof and/or windshield tinted to keep the interior as cool (or at least, “not as hot”) as possible?

Reactions: t1m1t
A lot of places are unable to tint the roof due to size of film.
Some shops just don't carry it as they don't use it often enough.
I had all my windows tinted including windshield and roof for a touch over $1k
about a year ago. Make sure to take your car to a shop that has done a Tesla roof
before if you decide to go that direction.
The price they quoted you sounds high - shop around and get a few quotes,
and be sure to ask if they have experience with a Tesla roof - they are not easy to do.
My tint was Xpel Prime XR which is supposed to be very highly rated.

Reactions: squirk
I live in the U.S. Deep South where the sun is very strong and the temperatures are high. I’ve never had car windows tinted before, but I am thinking about it for my incoming MYLR.

I called around today asking about ceramic tinting, and the one place I got a hold of quoted me $550 to tint everything “except the roof and the windshield,” which would be $450 and $300 extra, respectively.

The fact that they had both the windshield and the roof each as standalone add-ons made me wonder - other than cost, is there a reason someone in my climate would not want their roof and/or windshield tinted to keep the interior as cool (or at least, “not as hot”) as possible?
The roof is as cool as it gets. Some shops won't tint it for risk of cracking. It illegal to tint the windshield. It impairs your vision.

There are multiple threads on tinting the windshield and the roof of the Model Y. The roof has a factory tint of 5% meaning 95% of the visible light gets filtered out. The glass roof also rejects UV and IR. Adding a ceramic tint to the glass roof may not add much benefit but some Model Y owners say it definitely helps keep the passenger cabin cooler, the AC does not have to work as hard. Even if you decide to tint the glass roof a sunshade for the glass roof can provide some benefit. The mesh sun shade material will help diffuse the sun's rays so the sun won't feel as intense especially if you have a bare head. (The mesh sunshades all sag to some degree. There are suction cups and magnets that can reduce the sagging.)

The windshield of the Tesla Model Y does filter UV rays (all laminated glass filters UV due to the plastic film layer inside the glass) but not have any factory treatment for IR rejection so it can definitely benefit from a good ceramic tint. Some of the ceramic tints are barely noticeable, would pass most of the visible light yet still reject the IR rays. Check with your state's DMV regarding allowable tint levels for the windshield and front windows. Even if a full windshield tint is not allowed you can usually add a non-reflective tint strip to the top 5 inches of the windshield.

Last edited:
There are multiple threads on tinting the windshield and the roof of the Model Y. The roof has a factory tint of 5% meaning 95% of the visible light gets filtered out. The glass roof also rejects UV and IR. Adding a ceramic tint to the glass roof may not add much benefit but some Model Y owners say it definitely helps keep the passenger cabin cooler, the AC does not have to work as hard. Even if you decide to tint the glass roof a sunshade for the glass roof can provide some benefit. The mesh sun shade material will help diffuse the sun's rays so the sun won't feel as intense especially if you have a bare head. (The mesh sunshades all sag to some degree. There are suction cups and magnets that can reduce the sagging.)

The windshield of the Tesla Model Y does filter UV rays (all laminated glass filters UV due to the plastic film layer inside the glass) but not have any factory treatment for IR rejection so it can definitely benefit from a good ceramic tint. Some of the ceramic tints are barely noticeable, would pass most of the visible light yet still reject the IR rays. Check with your state's DMV regarding allowable tint levels for the windshield and front windows. Even if a full windshield tint is not allowed you can usually add a non-reflective tint strip to the top 5 inches of the windshield.
This. I‘ve literally been doing days of research recently. Read all the old articles.

Factory roof has UV and IR blocking and dark "tint". No, need to tint unless you need more privacy (? ;)).

Front windows have 72% or so factory "tint" level. Rear windows have close to 24% factory "tint" level.

I’m currently getting 35% front and 70% windshield on MSM MYLR. No need to go darker on rear or back windows IMHO.

This. I‘ve literally been doing days of research recently. Read all the old articles.

Factory roof has UV and IR blocking and dark "tint". No, need to tint unless you need more privacy (? ;)).

Front windows have 72% or so factory "tint" level. Rear windows have close to 24% factory "tint" level.

I’m currently getting 35% front and 70% windshield on MSM MYLR. No need to go darker on rear or back windows IMHO.
The back windows and rear glass do not have any factory IR rejection, so adding ceramic tint to the rear windows, hatch glass could offer some additional benefit.

Do you know if the factory roof tinting is supposed to absorb or reflect IR & UV light? The roof on my M3 2022 gets very hot on any sunny day, even when it's in the 40s outside, unlike the windshield and windows that stay cold. If the roof tinting is only absorbing light, that would explain the heating, and would act as a heat source during a hotter day, so a ceramic film that reflects the light would actually help. On the other hand, you'll need more heating from the car in the Winter.

Do you know if the factory roof tinting is supposed to absorb or reflect IR & UV light? The roof on my M3 2022 gets very hot on any sunny day, even when it's in the 40s outside, unlike the windshield and windows that stay cold. If the roof tinting is only absorbing light, that would explain the heating, and would act as a heat source during a hotter day, so a ceramic film that reflects the light would actually help. On the other hand, you'll need more heating from the car in the Winter.
From all of the videos I have seen, the roof on the MY will prevent the heat from entering the cabin (this can only be done by absorbing the heat into the film and glass). This does heat up the car just because the glass radiates the heat, but the heat isn't getting transmitted directly from the sun into the interior (the glass roof blocks the solar rays). Instead the glass is blocking/absorbing the heat and radiating the heat inwards.

In short the car will still get hot, but it will cool off much faster once driving with A/C or windows open. Again, this is just from what I have read/watched over the past week or two.

From all of the videos I have seen, the roof on the MY will prevent the heat from entering the cabin (this can only be done by absorbing the heat into the film and glass). This does heat up the car just because the glass radiates the heat, but the heat isn't getting transmitted directly from the sun into the interior (the glass roof blocks the solar rays). Instead the glass is blocking/absorbing the heat and radiating the heat inwards.

In short the car will still get hot, but it will cool off much faster once driving with A/C or windows open. Again, this is just from what I have read/watched over the past week or two.
Thanks. The ceramic film sales pitches claim that IR is reflected, but that's probably an exageration if the videos you've seen show the glass heating up (which means IR is getting absorbed, no reflected). In any case, good to know that it doesn't contribute meaningfully to heating the cabin. You just saved me a good chunk of money!

Thanks. The ceramic film sales pitches claim that IR is reflected, but that's probably an exageration if the videos you've seen show the glass heating up (which means IR is getting absorbed, no reflected). In any case, good to know that it doesn't contribute meaningfully to heating the cabin. You just saved me a good chunk of money!
From that perspective, any "reflection" the film would possibly provide would be reflected back into the glass. Since the film is on the inside of the car. Sounds like someone is selling snake oil out there. ;)

The roof is as cool as it gets. Some shops won't tint it for risk of cracking. It illegal to tint the windshield. It impairs your vision.
It's not illegal to tint your windshield in all states. For example in Ohio, it's legal to tint you windshield down to 70% and you can tint the top 5" to any %VLT you like.

Also, factory "clear" windows (including your windshield) usually are around a 70%VLT to begin with. Adding 70% VLT tint would NOT impair your vision in any way.

• Informative
Reactions: squirk and Noflash

Would skip roof and definitely tint front windshield. The change in visibility at 70% is almost unnoticeable. I did 3m crystalline 90 on my previous car and have crystalline 70 on my wife's car. The 70 feels much more comfortable. Will have Spectra Photosync IRD applied this weekend to the new MYP

Reactions: fholbert and squirk

So are you doing 35% on the two front windows, anything on two back windows?? and will you be doing front and rear windshields with 70%?

Sounds like no roof film...Did your research say roof blocks UVA and UVB and IR heat, if so did it say to what extent?

Thanks!!

So are you doing 35% on the two front windows, anything on two back windows?? and will you be doing front and rear windshields with 70%?

Sounds like no roof film...Did your research say roof blocks UVA and UVB and IR heat, if so did it say to what extent?

Thanks!!
Yes, moonroof blocks UV and IR significantly (to the point where it doesn't make sense to add tint). I did 35% on front two and 70% on windshield looks good. Not too dark, maybe even a little too light. 20% would look good, but then the front is darker then the rear, so you need to add 70% to the rear to get it in line. I left it lighter. Not a fan of fix it tickets or the hassle and I was only looking for a little more privacy.

I had Xpel plus ceramic film done to the front doors only. Not sure what %, just told them to match the rear. I’m happy with the results.

45477088-AEBB-4AEC-9997-FC5374DF5CA1.jpeg

Yes, moonroof blocks UV and IR significantly (to the point where it doesn't make sense to add tint). I did 35% on front two and 70% on windshield looks good. Not too dark, maybe even a little too light. 20% would look good, but then the front is darker then the rear, so you need to add 70% to the rear to get it in line. I left it lighter. Not a fan of fix it tickets or the hassle and I was only looking for a little more privacy.
Hey thanks for info. I too am not a fan of tickets!!! hahahaha

I'm still veeeeeeery confused on what to put film on (main goal is UVA/UVB blockage and heat reduction is always a bonus). Planning on some sort of ceramic film...

roof blocks close to 99% UVA/UVB and heat ----> no film needed unless you want more tint color

yes, thinking 35% for front two windows is sweet spot for front two windows for some privacy and some extra UVA/UVB protection. Could go 45-50% also...

back two windows --maybe 70% --since not laminated and double paned thinking less UVA/UVB protection, if someone knows different please let me know...because fine not to tint it

Really not sure about front and back windshield. Any UVA/UVB data here would be great here if anyone knows!

Thanks!

Thanks to you all for the replies. I had the four door windows and the hatchback window done today within my state's legal limits. Did not do the roof.

That said, the roof does get pretty hot to the touch down here in the strong Louisiana sun. Nothing that will actually burn you, but definitely uncomfortable to hold your hand against it for an extended period of time.

If the roof is a 1%-5% UV-blocking/heat-rejecting tint, I guess there is not more to be done about it other than buy a sun shade. I just don't love the look of those, though.......

Thanks to you all for the replies. I had the four door windows and the hatchback window done today within my state's legal limits. Did not do the roof.

That said, the roof does get pretty hot to the touch down here in the strong Louisiana sun. Nothing that will actually burn you, but definitely uncomfortable to hold your hand against it for an extended period of time.

If the roof is a 1%-5% UV-blocking/heat-rejecting tint, I guess there is not more to be done about it other than buy a sun shade. I just don't love the look of those, though.......
Hey brother! Just wondering how the tint is working out now that you've had it for awhile. I put Spectra Photosync all around including the roof on my first model 3. It was extremely expensive. Heat rejection is awesome. But I've been surprised how much I miss the roof being clearer to look out of. I have a new model 3 coming next week that will be getting tint as well. I'm really considering skipping the roof this time around. Are you still rolling tintless on the roof?

Roof sunshade works pretty good.. Picked up a two piece (upgrade version) from Amazon, no sag. blocked sun. And can take it off during winter time.