Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting rear window night visibility question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Im getting my car this week and was thinking about tinting it and the shop gave me a quote that included the rear window also. I'm just wondering how the visibility is at night with the rear window tinted. I can't see that well at night to begin with.

I saw a blue Model 3 yesterday with 20% on sides and no tint on back. It looked awesome. I believe a police officer would be less likely to give you a ticket since they could see in through the lower section of back. Visibility is good front and back.

Also, the rear glass has blue tint on top also. If you tint the entire thing, it will make the blue look black and mismatch with your front glagl section.

Save almost half the cost of the tint job and skip the back. That is what we are doing.

The cop gives you the ticket for illegal tinting after he walks up to the side of the car to give you that speeding ticket.

Not that you’re going to get a speeding ticket in a Tesla....... :)

I don't know about you, but I would roll all windows down before he walks up to the car... whether there is tint or not. Number one rule is to make them feel comfortable that you don't have anything sketchy in the car.

I have pretty decent night vision still, but our old BMW was tinted to the legal limit in AZ (sorry, don't know what that is and bought the car used). While I could see headlights OK through the rear window I couldn't make out the lane lines at night. That made it tough to figure out which lane the cars were in. Sometimes I rolled down the driver's window to get a better look. And stopped taking that car at night.

The normal X tint works fine for me, not sure how it compares with the 3. I'm not willing to add any more tint.

I have 20 all around and 70 on the front day time its really not that dark because the entire roof is glass unlike any other car so from the outside it doesn't appear to be 20 but I also have the white interior. I will admit at night it does kind of suck it wouldn't be so bad but the rear view mirror are auto dimming and when they do that you struggle to see out the rear. I still don't mind it just going to take some time to get use too. I would much prefer this than to get blinded by headlights.

Hi, Im getting my car this week and was thinking about tinting it and the shop gave me a quote that included the rear window also. I'm just wondering how the visibility is at night with the rear window tinted. I can't see that well at night to begin with.

Hard to say without knowing how bad/good your vision is, but I would say the most popular shade for us in Texas is 35% for all ages.

If you're only wanting to tint it for heat rejection purposes, look for a film that blocks a lot of heat heat without compromising clarity (Photosync or Ceraluxe).

Hard to say without knowing how bad/good your vision is, but I would say the most popular shade for us in Texas is 35% for all ages.
32~35% is the legal limit in about 80% of the states... that's a pretty safe bet. 50% hardly looks like anything from the outside. Keep in mind it looks lighter on the inside looking out than the outside looking in. Make sure you check the laws for your state (and any other state you frequent by car.)

I am a little unclear how much tint is on the rear window and whether I need to apply less than 32% (so that the net impact is no more than 32%). I know quite a few people just slapped a full sheet of 32% on the back window which makes it a little darker with the existing tint, I guess, but they seem fine with it.

I have bad night vision and I find it actually IMPROVES night driving by taking the glare out of the rear of the car in looking back for lane changes. Easier to spot cars by two "glowing" headlights rather than the full beam without the tint. I went 35%

I have 5% ceramic on the back and 20% on the front. It is a bit dark in the back when there aren't any street lights or car headlights but I haven't had any trouble with visibility. I can see cars clearly both behind me and in my peripheral.
20180830_222241.jpg Tesla.jpg