Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting the back window/sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I am new to this club and still waiting for my model 3 to arrive but had a question about the tinting. I know the sunroof is already tinted but if you tint the back window do you tint the sunroof too so it looks continuous? Or of just tint the back window will you see a seen from the outside or the inside??

I recently tinted my back window (and all side windows). I only did up until the tint, and from the inside you can see a seem but I never notice it unless looking for it. From the outside, if you walk up to the car and know it's there, you can find it. But even from a foot or 2 away you cannot see it. Really wasn't worth the money to go all the way up for me. My tint also has a lifetime warranty.

I also tinted All the windows. Jury is still out if tinting sunroof dark helps keeps car cooler or not or leave it light or not touch at all and see out of it better? I think if I had to redo, i would make sunroof tint very light like 80% and use best tint to block IR UV. And yeah, back window top to bottom. Those that made it half way are not too happy. Plus i think it has higher chance to peel since edge are in the middle. Glad thats not what OP is doing

I did every piece of glass in my car. Didn't even consider doing only part of the back window. The installer I used had another customer's car in his shop that did that, so i had a chance to see how it looked. No way I was going to do it that way.`I didn't do the "sunroof" originally, but when the weather started to get warm, I found I didn't like the light coming through. Went back and did that and the windshield. Couldn't be happier with it.

1. The whole piece of glass on the rear.
  2. I chose to do the roof (30%) for light purposes - I didn't like the sum coming through and didn't want to have to wear a cap when I drove
  3. Did the windshield and it is very noticeably different in heat blocking
  4. Go Ceramic. It's more expensive but worth the investment

Reactions: AZAV8R
Can someone post a picture of why doing only the lower half of the back glass looks bad? I was thinking of doing this also.

whats your reasoning. Is it that cheaper to do the partial rear glass? In my case I actually picked a cheaper film for the rear glass but at a darker shade to make up for decreases IR rejection. I got Stratos on the doors and Pinnacle on the rear glass and saved like $100.