Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tipping for PPF/Ceramic installer?

Tipping for PPF/Ceramic coating install

• Yes, percentage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Having PPF and ceramic along with window tint installed this week. What’s the etiquette on tipping? The guy owns his shop and is the one doing the work if that makes a difference.

I found some stuff online that a car detail deserves a tip but couldn’t find something for a high value (~$3100) transaction such as this.

If tipping is appropriate, is there a percentage or amount appropriate? Would like to hear your opinions.

I apologize if this has been asked before; I did search both here and on google/other sites and found nothing. Posted a poll as well to summarize results if you want to vote.

Thanks!

It’s not enough to pay 6 bucks for a cup of coffee, there’s a tip jar too
It’s not enough to pay 3k+ for putting plastic sheets on the car. I certainly hope they don’t expect a tip
I believe the best way to recognize great artisan work is to thank the person and be sure to refer plenty of folks (in addition to paying the market rate)

• Love
Reactions: duanra and Sherlo
T
It’s not enough to pay 6 bucks for a cup of coffee, there’s a tip jar too
It’s not enough to pay 3k+ for putting plastic sheets on the car. I certainly hope they don’t expect a tip
I believe the best way to recognize great artisan work is to thank the person and be sure to refer plenty of folks (in addition to paying the market rate)

thanks for the reply. I am of this mind mostly but my wife has worked in the service industry more recently than I have and is big on tipping/etiquette where appropriate.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kevy Baby
Jeeez the installed probably used $200 with of parts (factory whole sale 3m film) and 1000 in profit. That would be rediculous to tip an additional 15%. Now if it’s a waitress depending on tips I’m totally down. I even tip when I travel in a foreign country where tipping is not the norm (as long as tipping is not viewed in an offensive).

It's not $1,000 in profit; it's called being paid for time and skill. I will gladly pay a premium for someone who has taken the (unpaid) time to learn how to do a job correctly and accurately.
I’m not knocking paying $xx for their skill. Hell I charged $1400 for private consults in my profession. It’s the idea originally of what the OP asked about tipping. Tipping for a job that’s $1200 is what I find silly. It would be like someone tipping my $1400 for my assessment. I do not expect it and I would not accept it.