Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on how I averaged~190 wh/mi for 17,000 miles (so far...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya know... Maybe rather than play, "I know more than the software does", put climate on AUTO and let the software deal with it.

How was quoting my post relevant to this point? If quoting me, why not this prior post:
If you are trying to break a personal record on consumption you want to waste as little watts as possible on spinning the fan. If you just want easy comfort, auto is fine and probably makes a minuscule difference :)

Wh/mi measurement for AC is highly dependent on your speed :) ... if you are standing still it consumes infinite Wh/mi ;)

It’s better to think about AC in kW or W. e.g. if it takes 0.8 - 2 kW tops for AC, maybe average 1 kW? Then that’s 1 kWh energy used in an hour, or 0.5 kWh in a half an hour, regardless of speed or miles traveled.

If your consumption is say 220 Wh/mi without AC, then 0.5 kWh uses another 2.27 miles of range.

For a certain trip you can calculate it as Wh/mi, but not really in general.

Another way to think of it is in mi/hr actually too.

How I estimated energy draw actually was fooling around with HVAC settings while plugged into an L2 charger and watch my “km/hr” charge rate drop off more based on fan only, AC, AC + LO, heat, heat + HI

At 220 Wh/mi, 0.8 - 2.0 kW is like 3.6 - 9 mi/hr
Thanks for pointing that out. Couldn't have said it any better. The compressor must be 1 kW rated, and for my speed and distance the 30 Wh/mi increase (compared to without AC) seems right.

OK, what is different now from then? It could be as simple as I got a software update or as seemingly inconsequential as a heatwave or cold snap.
I am getting some higher efficiency drives now but I'm still looking for patterns. I have noticed in the downpours we get in South Florida the efficiency goes down quite a bit. Maybe by the time you add up the extra power used by the headlights, the windshield wipers, possible head winds and driving through constant water puddles on the road it makes it less efficient.

I am getting some higher efficiency drives now but I'm still looking for patterns. I have noticed in the downpours we get in South Florida the efficiency goes down quite a bit. Maybe by the time you add up the extra power used by the headlights, the windshield wipers, possible head winds and driving through constant water puddles on the road it makes it less efficient.

The rain is likely the only major significant factor. Dramatically increases rolling resistance. Wind obviously matters (at high speeds) too.

For all the other accessories, you can take their wattage (estimate!) and divide by average trip speed to figure out the added Wh/mi. I doubt all those accessories (with exception of AC or heat) are any more than 200W total.

AC is more like 500W-1.5kW and heat can be 7+ kW so those definitely can add up.

And just more resistance from wind and rain. Cutting through air is far more efficient than cutting through water.

The rain is likely the only major significant factor. Dramatically increases rolling resistance. Wind obviously matters (at high speeds) too.

For all the other accessories, you can take their wattage (estimate!) and divide by average trip speed to figure out the added Wh/mi. I doubt all those accessories (with exception of AC or heat) are any more than 200W total.

AC is more like 500W-1.5kW and heat can be 7+ kW so those definitely can add up.
Very true regarding the rain and it's effects on efficiency.

I had a Prius and I installed a 'Scan Guage II', permanently mounted on the dash, and plugged into the OBD2 outlet.

It was setup to include instantaneous fuel economy.

As soon as the roads had any measurable moisture on them, I could instantly see the hit I took, fuel economy wise.

IIRC, 15% was about the penalty I encountered during light to moderate rain events.

• Informative
Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
Most recent stroll to DC, moderate traffic.

I fully expect to be around 170wh/mi lifetime by 33,000 miles.

Also of note, unrelated however, just purchased Xcelerate’s extended warranty. 10 years or 148,000 miles.

I’ll be cruising for years.

Attachments

• D9EAFB52-43C2-44B4-B6BC-594B763203A2.jpeg
    D9EAFB52-43C2-44B4-B6BC-594B763203A2.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 89
Fascinating. I've never seen <200 Wh/mi for an extended period unless going down hill. The data Here, as posted earlier in this thread, suggests that you need to be 50-55 mph to get below 200, and for your 170 in the summer you would need to be driving ~35mph. But there is scatter int he raw dat - perhaps you just have a magic car! :)

I’ve gotten this comment from many other drivers locally. I’ve never seen my efficiency beaten or even matched for the 20,000 miles I’m nearing. While I don’t think I have a magical motor, perhaps I do have a magical skills. I’d love to jump in another Tesla and see what I can do for it efficiency wise. Any volunteers?

Attachments

• 788B21AE-CEE4-46B2-8DF7-A2318F7E192E.jpeg
    788B21AE-CEE4-46B2-8DF7-A2318F7E192E.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 64
I’ve gotten this comment from many other drivers locally. I’ve never seen my efficiency beaten or even matched for the 20,000 miles I’m nearing. While I don’t think I have a magical motor, perhaps I do have a magical skills. I’d love to jump in another Tesla and see what I can do for it efficiency wise. Any volunteers?

If I'm in Virginia, I'll look you up! The closest I'm getting is a trip next week to Tennessee.

That's an impressive screenshot.

I think I got you beat with a lifetime 185 Wh/mi @56,400 miles. I bottomed out at 180 Wh/mi and then started driving 75-80 mi/hr after getting solar. I have a 160 mi round trip commute in the SF east bay. My best commute efficiency was last fall clocking in at 130 Wh/mi (notice the time it took). I did the same things as you, but I had the tires at the previously recommended 50 PSI and I keep my car fairly clean (lower drag). On a side note, I still have the original tires (4/32 threads) and my 100% estimated range (as of today) is 311 mi. Cheers!

20190723_110147.jpg 20180810_201609.jpg

Last edited:
I think I got you beat with a lifetime 185 Wh/mi @56,400 miles. I bottomed out at 180 Wh/mi and then started driving 75-80 mi/hr after getting solar. I have a 160 mi round trip commute in the SF east bay. My best commute efficiency was last fall clocking in at 130 Wh/mi (notice the time it took). I did the same things as you, but I had the tires at the previously recommended 50 PSI and I keep my car fairly clean (lower drag). On a side note, I still have the original tires (4/32 threads) and my 100% estimated range (as of today) is 311 mi. Cheers!

*Very* niiice!

I cringe at "lifetime" being trip A though ... I'd be scared to scroll down to Trip B semi-regularly and accidentally reset it :D

You need a t-shirt made up that says something like "I speed because I'm powered by the sun" :)

So it sounds like the recipe for uber-efficient driving is Elon's "soul-destroying traffic" so you can go really slow.

Reactions: Peter 3
*Very* niiice!

I cringe at "lifetime" being trip A though ... I'd be scared to scroll down to Trip B semi-regularly and accidentally reset it :D

You need a t-shirt made up that says something like "I speed because I'm powered by the sun" :)

So it sounds like the recipe for uber-efficient driving is Elon's "soul-destroying traffic" so you can go really slow.

Well im not technically sun powered as I charge at night, but I do get peak energy credit for solar and charge at off-peak.

So even if i use more energy, PG&E is still going to pay me. :D:D:D

As for traffic...with podcasts, audiobooks and foreign language tapes + autopilot... its pretty easy going. :cool:

Well im not technically sun powered as I charge at night, but I do get peak energy credit for solar and charge at off-peak.

So even if i use more energy, PG&E is still going to pay me. :D:D:D

As for traffic...with podcasts, audiobooks and foreign language tapes + autopilot... its pretty easy going. :cool:
Hmm, well... that's I guess ... a technicality yes. If you had batteries to capture solar to charge at night you'd still technically not be directly sun powered either.

I vote we leave these extraneous details off of the t-shirt, lest it get too crowded. Maybe an asterisk, then put a footnote on the back.

Reactions: Aellinsar