Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire failure after service center visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Warranty was expiring on my 2019 3P so took it in for an inspection to the service center in West LA.

Told everything was fine, charged me $250 for the privilege.

~2 months and maybe 500 miles later, I get a flat tire. When I get the wheel off, this is what I'm greeted with!

I can't imagine this sort of asymmetric wear wasn't readily apparent two months ago. Given they claimed the tires, suspension, and bushings were all inspected, I can't imagine they didn't have it on a lift. So either they had it on the lift and somehow didn't see this, or they didn't have it on the lift and just.. lied?

I can't believe you didn't notice that sort of asymmetric wear.

If you read the 21" Plaid tire issue thread in the Model S sub-forum, it's 56 pages of owners not noticing abnormal inside edge wear until the tires start leaking or separating - esp if it happens with <5000 miles on the tires.

Even when I've had to hunt several instances for a slow leak from a screw or nail I've found it's hard to get a good look at most of the tread, so wouldn't be surprised that sort of inside edge wear would be particularly hard to notice unless you were looking specifically for it...

Warranty was expiring on my 2019 3P so took it in for an inspection to the service center in West LA.
Told everything was fine, charged me $250 for the privilege.
~2 months and maybe 500 miles later, I get a flat tire. When I get the wheel off, this is what I'm greeted with!

How many miles on the tires?
By the looks of it, the tire is worn down to the wear bars across the tread, and corded on the inside.
I don't see how it would have been in a much better shape 500 miles ago, though cords were probably not showing yet.

I can't imagine this sort of asymmetric wear wasn't readily apparent two months ago. Given they claimed the tires, suspension, and bushings were all inspected, I can't imagine they didn't have it on a lift. So either they had it on the lift and somehow didn't see this, or they didn't have it on the lift and just.. lied?

Was the fact that the tires are nearly worn out noted on the inspection report?
If yes, you at least know they looked at them.
If not, then, they didn't bother doing much. In other words, they performed a standard wall job service on the vehicle.

Sorry, it is what it is.

I can't believe you didn't notice that sort of asymmetric wear.

The wear is not particularly asymmetric. The tires are down to the wear bars, and the inside is worn down to the belt.
I've done that plenty of times with track tires (insides in the rear, outsides on the fronts), and it takes SURPRISINGLY little time, mileage, and effort to go from a "worn" to a "corded" tire.

Either way, time to order a new set of shoes!

HTH,
a