Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire losing air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All

My Tesla Model Y is just 7 months on the road, with about 10K milage . The passenger rear tire keep losing air and so far I have to inflate it around 3 times and now I have to do the 4th time. I never had to blow air in any of the other tires . All tires are between 6-7/32 tread lenght. I am guessing it is a problem just for the affect tire only. I hope it is not a nail or something made a hole . Does Tesla cover tire services under warrenty or do the tires come with manufacture warrenty or I have to take it to any a tire shop to figue out what is going on?

Hello All

My Tesla Model Y is just 7 months on the road, with about 10K milage . The passenger rear tire keep losing air and so far I have to inflate it around 3 times and now I have to do the 4th time. I never had to blow air in any of the other tires . All tires are between 6-7/32 tread lenght. I am guessing it is a problem just for the affect tire only. I hope it is not a nail or something made a hole . Does Tesla cover tire services under warrenty or do the tires come with manufacture warrenty or I have to take it to any a tire shop to figue out what is going on?
It's time for a tire service. Tesla doesn't honor any tire warranty. You have to call the tire company for that.

As others said, I would just go to a local tire shop. Make sure they don't damage the main high voltage battery pack at the bottom of your car.

Many local tire shops also sell a tire warranty.

I had a slow leak also in my passenger rear tire. It lasted for about a year. It would leak about a pound a week, and sometimes would go month. Lately it would leak 3~4 pounds in a day and the next day it would not leak at all. I could never find a puncture in the tire or any rhyme or reason. I finally got fed up with it and had new tires put on last week. The only thing I could figure was that the bar code sticker (which I observed when the tire was taken off) on the part of the tire that sealed against the rim was the culprit. Perhaps the seal on the tire pressure sensor was a leaking? Maybe when the tires bottom was resting on the sticker it would leak more air. Mystery indeed. Food for thought.

You can take it to a tesla service center and they will fix it, however you'll need to make an appointment and that's probably a hassle not worth your time. I'd just go to discount tire if you have one around, they will fix it on the spot for free. Likely a nail, screw, etc.
Thank you for the recognition, we greatly appreciate it. Definitely take advantage of our free courtesy services such as a basic tire rotation and tire repair. 👍

Last edited:
I had a slow leak also in my passenger rear tire. It lasted for about a year. It would leak about a pound a week, and sometimes would go month. Lately it would leak 3~4 pounds in a day and the next day it would not leak at all. I could never find a puncture in the tire or any rhyme or reason. I finally got fed up with it and had new tires put on last week. The only thing I could figure was that the bar code sticker (which I observed when the tire was taken off) on the part of the tire that sealed against the rim was the culprit. Perhaps the seal on the tire pressure sensor was a leaking? Maybe when the tires bottom was resting on the sticker it would leak more air. Mystery indeed. Food for thought.
It might be the pressure drop due to the temperature change.

take it to any a tire shop to figue out what is going on
99% of the time it’s road hazard (e.g.
Nail, potholes, screws, sharp objects, damaged rim, damaged stem valve, etc). Not covered by Tesla nor tire warranties.

If there’s a defect with the tire, then the tire shop should be able to work with you to file a claim with the tire manufacturer.

This is just regular stuff everyone deals with at one time or another… good luck

I would think if the leak is too slow, it probably won't show up in a reasonable amount of time.
It won't. I have had slow leaks before that couldn't be found with the water method. Frustrating. Also, sometimes they can be affected by the position of the leak when you park. I would go for a couple of days with no change then all of a sudden see a large drop in pressure. The only thing I can figure is that the location of the puncture when I parked that last time allowed it to leak faster.

You can take it to a tesla service center and they will fix it, however you'll need to make an appointment and that's probably a hassle not worth your time. I'd just go to discount tire if you have one around, they will fix it on the spot for free. Likely a nail, screw, etc.

actually did this yesterday.

woke up in the morning and was notified that my rear 2 tires were low on air..pumped them up and went to work.

after work, notified that both were very low again.

hit up discount on the way home and they found a large nail in one and a small nail and a screw in the other.

patched both up for free.

trying to figure out how only the back tires got the nails and not the front 🤷‍♂️