Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire low pressure warning, all 4 tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a tire pressure warning on all 4 tires.

The weather just got cold around 48-55F from 70s.
I thought its weather related but in the afternoon the temp got back in mid 70s but warning didn't go away.

Should I be setting up a service appointment? or just put more air?

TIA

Attachments

• tesla-tirepreassure.PNG
    tesla-tirepreassure.PNG
    460.7 KB · Views: 206
Put in more air. Warning will go away after a while.
Or if you want to run pressures lower than the recommended, just reset the pressures in the service menu and then you won't get warnings when the temperature drops.

If you normally fill your tires to the placarded pressure after driving a while, you should expect to see a 4-5 psi drop as the tires cool. The placarded pressure is the PSI to fill to when the tires are cold. Add to this a cold day and you may well get low enough to trip the warning.

You should fill the tires at home when they are cold. If you fill after driving a while, add 4-5 psi to the placarded pressure. Then after a few hours, when they have cooled, you can let a little air out; but I wouldn’t bother.

Why isn't your first thought to simply check the pressure in the tires? Too easy?
the tire pressure is showing on the screen. isn't it?
it is showing 33psi and 35psi

If you normally fill your tires to the placarded pressure after driving a while, you should expect to see a 4-5 psi drop as the tires cool. The placarded pressure is the PSI to fill to when the tires are cold. Add to this a cold day and you may well get low enough to trip the warning.

You should fill the tires at home when they are cold. If you fill after driving a while, add 4-5 psi to the placarded pressure. Then after a few hours, when they have cooled, you can let a little air out; but I wouldn’t bother.
Thank you. should I add 5psi more? so 35 psi will become 40psi

shyboy: Nothing special about EV tires. Many people are concerned about PSI fluctuation, which can be 5-6 psi in a normal day, because of ambient temperature change, and the heating of the tires while driving. This has ALWAYS been the case.

The difference? Many cars have constantly updating PSI graphics, showing this fluctuation. Many people just didn't have any idea that this fluctuation is normal.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
the tire pressure is showing on the screen. isn't it?
it is showing 33psi and 35psi
Sure, unless you question the computer. That seems to be the case to since you created a post here about your questioning of said reading. If you're unsure (which we seem to have established) the very first step should be to verify the pressure yourself.

That's common sense. I know, it's a lot to ask but owning a vehicle can be a very challenging task at times.

Take 2min to get out a tire gauge and verify the readings yourself. If the readings you get match what the sensors are telling you, add air until they're at the optimal set temperature.

I'm genuinely interested: If you're struggling with something like tire pressure, how did you ever manage with everything you're responsible with monitoring and maintaining on an ICE car?

Thank you. should I add 5psi more? so 35 psi will become 40psi

Assuming you got that 35 psi number from the placard on the driver’s door pillar, and that you will have driven the car long enough to get the tires warm then yes, use 40 psi as your desired fill pressure.

But I very much doubt the recommended pressure on the pillar placard says 35 psi. My Model Y says 42, so a hot tire should be filled to 46-47 psi.

Last edited:
To summarize - there is a plate on the driver's door jamb that shows recommended pressures for your model of car. Temps cooling off absolutely affects pressure in the tires. This is not unique to Tesla or EV's - all automotive tires can be affected by this. Bikes, too. No service needed, just add air. You can use a pressure gauge to check them as well as the screen. And you need to drive for a few minutes before the pressures shown on the screen will update. What would be displayed when you get into the car is the most recent pressure before you stopped driving.

Pressure at
20 °C (68 °F)​
10 psi​
20 psi​
30 psi​
40 psi​
50 psi​
60 psi​
70 psi​
80 psi​
90 psi​
100 psi​
104 °F​
11.7 psi​
22.4 psi​
33.1 psi​
43.7 psi​
54.4 psi​
65.1 psi​
75.8 psi​
86.5 psi​
97.1 psi​
107.8 psi​
40 °C​
86 °F​
10.8 psi​
21.2 psi​
31.5 psi​
41.9 psi​
52.2 psi​
62.5 psi​
72.9 psi​
83.2 psi​
93.6 psi​
103.9 psi​
30 °C​
68 °F​
10.0 psi​
20.0 psi​
30.0 psi​
40.0 psi​
50.0 psi​
60.0 psi​
70.0 psi​
80.0 psi​
90.0 psi​
100.0 psi​
20 °C​
50 °F​
9.2 psi​
18.8 psi​
28.5 psi​
38.1 psi​
47.8 psi​
57.5 psi​
67.1 psi​
76.8 psi​
86.4 psi​
96.1 psi​
10 °C​
32 °F​
8.3 psi​
17.6 psi​
26.9 psi​
36.3 psi​
45.6 psi​
54.9 psi​
64.2 psi​
73.5 psi​
82.9 psi​
92.2 psi​
0 °C​
14 °F​
7.5 psi​
16.4 psi​
25.4 psi​
34.4 psi​
43.4 psi​
52.4 psi​
61.3 psi​
70.3 psi​
79.3 psi​
88.3 psi​
−10 °C​

Sure, unless you question the computer. That seems to be the case to since you created a post here about your questioning of said reading. If you're unsure (which we seem to have established) the very first step should be to verify the pressure yourself.

That's common sense. I know, it's a lot to ask but owning a vehicle can be a very challenging task at times.

Take 2min to get out a tire gauge and verify the readings yourself. If the readings you get match what the sensors are telling you, add air until they're at the optimal set temperature.

I'm genuinely interested: If you're struggling with something like tire pressure, how did you ever manage with everything you're responsible with monitoring and maintaining on an ICE car?
I'm genuinely interested: How you manage to collect 5832 thumbs up, if you provide responses like this one.
If you don't have useful comments to contribute then common sense is to skip the post and go on with your day.

I appreciate everyone else who tried explaining and provided positive feedback.
Thanks once again.

Reactions: JMGNC
I'm genuinely interested: How you manage to collect 5832 thumbs up, if you provide responses like this one.
If you don't have useful comments to contribute then common sense is to skip the post and go on with your day.

I appreciate everyone else who tried explaining and provided positive feedback.
Thanks once again.
Amen Brother

In SoCal, some time it is 55 degrees in the early morning when I leave home and 95 in the afternoon when I leave work. I park outside so in the morning; I get the flat tires logo and check to see all 4 tires below 40 psi. On the way back from work, all 4 tires are above 43 psi. At this point, I pretty much ignore the flat tires sign in the morning. I think if I put nitrogen in the tires, the difference maybe less due to temp changes.