Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire low pressure warning, all 4 tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that I needed to put some air in my tires about every six months.
But I started putting Nitrogen using a Costco pump, and now the air pressure didn't changed for a long time.

Also previously, the air pressure display was only available when driving, so I was not checking the air pressure very often.
In a recent update, Tesla started providing the last measure pressure available when the car was parked, so it is more easy to keep an eye on it.

Note: I saw a picture of a Chinese EV displaying both the temperature and the pressure of each tire.
I think this is a good idea (but I didn't save the picture from the article).

Tyre temperature will start becoming available in cars soon as tyre manufacturers such as Michelin are starting to roll out tyres with the sensors embedded internally in the carcass.
TMPS sensors already have temperature monitoring capabilities, but as they are installed in the wheel, they measure the internal air temperature rather than the actual tyre temperature.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I'm genuinely interested: How you manage to collect 5832 thumbs up, if you provide responses like this one.
If you don't have useful comments to contribute then common sense is to skip the post and go on with your day.

I appreciate everyone else who tried explaining and provided positive feedback.
Thanks once again.
It might be my uncanny ability to point out the obvious.

Shyboy, get yourself an air pressure gauge, set it to psi and check all the tires while cold, pumping them up to 42 PSI (45 psi if tires are hot). If you like a bit of a softer ride, 40 psi. Reason for using the gauge is when adding air, you can quickly read/add/release, right there, instead of running to view the screen inside the car each time. That would be a pain. It can also determine the accuracy of the car sensors by comparing. So far, the dash readout has been spot on for me.

I got one similar to this at Home Depot or Lowes. Has the seatbelt cutter and glass breaker in case you feel destructive or like driving into lakes. :)

61h1zAGzDqL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
shyboy: Since you have no idea what the PSI was PRIOR to the warning, you have no idea how much the PSI dropped.

Based on your posts, it seems you've never actually checked your tires. Without a "base line" starting point, there's no way to determine if you have a leak (which seems improbable).

You now know what to do. Air the tires up to 42psi, cold, and keep an eye on the psi at various times during the day.

Reactions: Watts_Up
shyboy: Since you have no idea what the PSI was PRIOR to the warning, you have no idea how much the PSI dropped.

Based on your posts, it seems you've never actually checked your tires. Without a "base line" starting point, there's no way to determine if you have a leak (which seems improbable).

You now know what to do. Air the tires up to 42psi, cold, and keep an eye on the psi at various times during the day.
Incorrect. I knew the psi prior to this error.

My regular PSI used to be 40~42

shyboy: You never posted this.

When did you last check your psi prior to the "warning"? How often did you check psi prior to the warning? Have you ever checked the psi manually, with a tire gauge?

Incorrect. I knew the psi prior to this error.

My regular PSI used to be 40~42
What no one has mentioned is tires do slowly leak air and need to be checked 2 or 3 times a year. That and cooler temps are causing your issue. Simply have someone look at your tires.

I just checked, Discount Tire has stores in Northern Virginia. Just drive to one and ask them to air up your tires. It’s free, they don’t charge for the service. In SoCal they have a lane coned off for checking tire pressure, you won’t have to get out of the car. Just follow the signs.

1697200222605.jpeg

Attachments

• 1697200287399.jpeg
    1697200287399.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 18
shyboy: You never posted this.

When did you last check your psi prior to the "warning"? How often did you check psi prior to the warning? Have you ever checked the psi manually, with a tire gauge?
Last I checked the PSI on Tuesday ( a day before the warning came out). I usually check the psi everyday on the screen.
Never checked with the tire gauge. on my last service call last month (on something else), the tesla tech did the tire gauge check and told me its good.

I will take it to the Discount Tire, since its free and fill up and see if the pressure drop again.

Thanks once again guys.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I've learned to ignore the PSI fluctuations that occur 24/7. I can start my day at 50f, 38psi, in Fort Worth, and 7 hours later, 85f+, in Corpus Christi, TX, psi would be 45-47psi, after steady highway cruising at 80mph. If I need to stay more than a day or two, I'll bleed off some air, mostly to prevent harshness to the ride.

Every autumn, there are a ton of threads in multiple car/tire forums about PSI concerns, which are simply caused by the drop in ambient temps.

I don't know the max psi, printed on the side of every tire, on the variety of OEM Tesla tires, but it could range from 44-51 (My Michelin Pilot Sport say 50psi).

AFAIK, a healthy, well designed tire, has a burst pressure of 200psi, so we're not at risk of tire rupture if under 50psi.

Underinflation? Not a huge risk, either, except for potential rim damage, excessive edge wear, and lower efficiency.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Last I checked the PSI on Tuesday ( a day before the warning came out). I usually check the psi everyday on the screen.
Never checked with the tire gauge. on my last service call last month (on something else), the tesla tech did the tire gauge check and told me its good.

I will take it to the Discount Tire, since its free and fill up and see if the pressure drop again.

Thanks once again guys.
I'm sorry that your posts make no sense.

ALL FOUR TIRES were at 40-42psi, and lost 7-8psi overnight, with only a 15-18f temperature decrease?

It isn't plausible that all four TPMS sensors failed simultaneously.

Someone in your community must be pranking you.

Air up to 42psi, cold, monitor for a few days, then report back your findings. a visit to a Tesla Service Center is a waste of time for all concerned.

There are some posters here that are being a little too tough on their fellow owner... acting like maintaining proper tire pressure is extremely easy.

I spent all day blowing on that thing and all I got was sore cheeks and dirty lips... I remember it being a *LOT* easier this past summer on my pool float.

Tesla has done something different with their tires where you can't just blow them up. Probably they want us to buy Tesla branded air or something.