Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure warning calibration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove up the mountain where the altitude and cold changed the tire pressure, on the way back we got a warning for the front left. It is really strange since the front right is lower but it isn't colored for a warning. Before we left the pressure was 42 all the way around.

tire pressure.JPG

Last edited:
Not quite sure this is the place to post this issue.

Yesterday I updated to 2018.42.2.1. I'm getting a new alert sound that I haven't had before.
I suspect this is a low tire pressure warning. It was very cold this morning. I no longer get the low tire pressure indication even though my current tire pressure is "low." Is this the new way of announcing tire pressure.

The sound is like a ring rather than a tone.

We drove up the mountain where the altitude and cold changed the tire pressure, on the way back we got a warning for the front left. It is really strange since the front right is lower but it isn't colored for a warning. Before we left the pressure was 42 all the way around.

View attachment 352173

I had something similar this weekend- at 42 psi... and with it warning for one tire at 42, but not the one on the other side at the same pressure.

(this was in mid-40s temps, also driving up a mountain though not a huge one)

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
My snow tires went on the Model 3 yesterday. Today, it was giving me the "Tires very soft x 4" error, and it showed all 4 tires read 35 psi. Well indeed they did, because that is what they were inflated to by the service center. So I inflated them up to 42 psi. Strangely, now I am still getting the error that says the tires are low, even though all 4 are reading 41 psi!

Got the same warning last week. It was only for one tire for multiple days. Then temps dropped a bit more and I saw it for several tires. I inflated all of them to 42 and the warning went away. It really didn't make sense as some of the ones displaying a warning were actually 1 or 2 higher than the ones with no warning.

Same here, and the warning will not go out even when the tires warm up and the pressures are all 40+. Even going into park makes no difference. Has anyone called support for htis? Any solutions?
View attachment 352874
I had this happen today (started "low" at mixed 41/40 - though only 41's were indicating low, all warmed up to 42 after driving on highway). After stopping, getting out of the car, eating lunch, and returning to the car, it seems the warning went away. I suspect that it only clears the alert after the vehicle is "turned off" (i.e., parked and you leave it alone), even if the actual tire pressures are shown as normal.

I "commute" every few days between Sedona (elev. 4600') to Flagstaff (7000'). Then I drive to Tucson (2800') every couple of weeks. A couple of weeks ago when it started getting cold, I started getting this annoying low tire pressure warning while in Flagstaff (38 psi when cold). From what I have read about elevation, my "real" pressure at 7000' is about 4 psi higher than the sensors indicate, or at a good 42 psi value, like I have in Sedona. I don't want to change my tire pressure twice a week just the keep the inaccurate tire sensors happy.

So, is there any way to reset the sensors, or get the Tesla to incorporate altitude into its software?

I got the low pressure warning multiple times over the past 2 weeks when the pressures in all tires decreased to 39psi or less. I am at 500 ft above sea level and air temps have been 45 to 55F: obviously not “real” winter.

Yesterday with the tires cold I pumped them up to 44-45psi, verified that my tire gauge matched the pressures the car display (within 1psi) and the warning has gone away. I realize that Tesla recommends 42psi cold tire pressure. I may drop my pressure down to that, but wanted to try the higher pressure first as an experiment. 44-45psi cold won’t hurt the tires; the tire sidewall label states the max pressure is 51psi. At this time of year they will never get that high even if I drive all day.

Yes, at the higher tire pressure the ride is not as smooth, but I don’t mind. It’s better than having the low pressure warning always on.

I expect that in the future Tesla will modify the firmware to allow for some flexibility in when the warning is displayed. For now you will just have to live with the warning or add air.

Last edited: