Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation frequency and pattern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't able to find any official recommendation from Tesla regarding tire rotation frequency and rotation pattern. I contacted their chat support this morning. Perhaps some of you will find it useful.
  • [ME] Does Tesla have a recommendation for tire rotation frequency and tire rotation pattern for Model 3 cars with 19" sport wheels?

• [TESLA] Great question! A lot depends on the way you drive, we rotate your tires with the annual service (12 months or 12,000 miles) but most tire manufacturers recommend 5,000 to 6,000 miles.

• [ME] Thanks. What's the rotation pattern? X Pattern, or keep left side tires always on the left and right side tires always on the right?

• [TESLA] Tires are rotated to same side with the best tires on the rear. If the front tires are not in good shape they'll recommend that the tires are replaced and put the best tires on the back.

• [ME] OK, thanks. Back to "annual service". Is that included as part of ownership, or is that something we pay extra for?

• [TESLA] You're right, the annual service is not something that is included and would be paid for at time of service.

• [ME] So if I were to rotate the tires myself as I do with my other cars, Tesla recommends that I don't do X pattern, but that I keep left side always on the left and right side always on the right. Yes?

• [TESLA] Yes we recommend front to back rotation (same side).

Interesting. I've been doing rearward crosses on my RWD. I wonder if they are sticking to same-side switches because it simplifies things for their techs or whether there's actually any downside to crossing.

Oh well. My tires are wearing nice and evenly so aside from the few extra minutes it takes to cross, I can't imagine a downside.

Where are you seeing that? The one I refer to here still has the lower figure

Link to owners manual from my Tesla page.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

upload_2019-9-15_19-29-23.png