TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire wear question

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Patrick W, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

My service center tells me that when my S85 was delivered 6 months ago the tread depth of its new 19" tires was 9/32".

I just had snow tires mounted and out of curiosity measured the depth of the removed normal tires to see how much they had worn in the just over 10,000 miles I've driven on them since new.

Three measured 8/32" all the way across. The forth measured 8/32" on one side and the middle and slightly less on the other side.

I'm no tire guy so I've no idea if that amount of wear is good or bad.

Opinions, please? Good, bad, average or what?

Many thanks!

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1/32 in 10K miles is about as good as you're going to see. The one tire appears to have a slight alignment wear issue, but there's not enough information to say more than that.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

That's good. I'm at 11k miles now, just had my car in for some fixing up and my first rotation, and they measured my tires 8/32" all around (L/C/R Front/Back), I was surprised and happy, because from reading all the reports here the car supposedly eats tires for dinner.

4. Xenius

Xenius Member

I think this is mostly with the 21" wheels, and also depends on how aggressively you drive. If you aren't doing too many TESLA starts, I don't know that the 19" tires wear any faster than a normal car.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My first set sure did. The alignment was way out and they had the wrong specs in the machine.