TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tire wear

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by odguy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. odguy

odguy Member

Question regarding tire wear. I'm in AWD 60D on original goodyear tires over 12K miles and the rear tires have worn more than the front. Is this typical? I almost always have range mode off, don't drive aggressively but do floor it occasionally. I would estimate more highway driving slightly.

2. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

About right. 12,500 miles on mine and I needed a new set of rear tires. Par for the course.

3. rdr1rx

rdr1rx Member

Goodyears imply that you have 19s with a square setup. Then yes, typical for more rear tire wear because you didn't mention rotation at the recommended 6,250 mile interval on those original tires.

However if you did rotate at that mile marker, then no, atypical because wear should be fairly equal. If rears are worn more than the fronts with a rotation, I'd suspect an alignment and/or air pressure problem.

4. odguy

odguy Member

Thanks for the responses. Yes correct 19s, was planning 1st rotation yesterday at Costco but didn't realize I needed this lug nut cap removal tool. He said he could remove with pliers but risk braking them.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

lug nut cap removal?

Is this some cap you've added to the OE design?

Don't be pulling apart OE lug nuts.

6. Max*

Max* Banned

I think it's abnormal if you need to replace them already.

70D, 19", 41k miles and I'm down to ~3/32s. I'll replace them before my next long trip.

7. odguy

odguy Member

This is the specific tool: Tesla — Lug Nut Cap Remover

Just to remove the cap over the lug nut.

Was planning to rotate not replace, just thought front would wear faster than rear in AWD.

8. st50maint

st50maint Member

At 26,000 miles I had the first tire rotation on my 2015 70D.
    The front two tires were worn down to 7/32.
    The left rear was at 6/32.
    The right rear was at 5/32.

The tires were not rotated at my first annual service (12,500 miles) because Tesla said all tires were evenly worn.
    I asked the service advisor why the right rear was worn so much. He claimed that the right rear is where the most power is applied.

9. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

Just took mine in for a rotation. 2017 90D with 8000+ miles. Fronts at 8/32, rear at 5/32. Service guy told me he's seen most people needing new tires around 15k miles. I don't drive crazy or too fast. Hopefully I'll get more mileage out of these.

10. scottm

scottm Active Member

100,000 km on RWD car, swapping out seasons for tires, still on original set of Michelins.. but this will be their last season.

I have been so looking forward to turning off Traction Control and lighting 'em up in smoke at the end of this summer... then rotating them... and doing it again!! Just before I put the winters on.

A lot depends on how you drive and how you like to drive and how much you're willing to pay for driving like that... enjoy!

11. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

I usually just use my fingers to remove the plastic caps.

12. paperjohn

paperjohn Member

2016 MS 90D
    Never rotated, even wear
    Goodyear 19"
    Changed out all four at 24500, with more Goodyears.
    I think I could have gotten 27000, but had a bad puncture(pencil size hole), so changed them out early at my 25000 mile service.
    Some mountain driving and lots of freeway driving