Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM/OEM 19" Turbine wheels -- the real story?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched for a similar thread but could not find one.

What's the real reason the 19" Turbine wheels were briskly removed from the Design Studio?

I remember seeing them in the DS and rejoicing that they were finally available, but then I blinked an eye, and they were gone.

I asked the sales agents in the Tesla Store about this and I got two different stories.

The first Assistant Manager simply said: "They weren't selling enough" so they removed them. I was like "what? Not selling enough?? I figured EVERYONE in the winter climates would fall over to get the 19" Turbines" (as witnessed with all the 19" Rial Laguna threads here in TMC.)

The second Assistant Delivery Manager said that due to the smaller 19" diameter wheels, the turbine fan blades created significantly much more drag than the 21" Turbine wheels, and therefore, a measurable drop in range. He went on to explain that the 21" turbine blades had wider spacing between the blades, and that created an "air buffer" around the wheel and therefore less drag. The 19" wheels can not create this "air buffer" resulting in more drag. So as quickly as they put them up for sale, the took them off because of the hit on the max range. His explanation was detailed enough to sound plausible, but at the same time, it also sounds kind of fabricated or misunderstanding of the real reason.

So does anyone know the real reason TM briefly sold, than pulled the 19" Turbine rims?

Last edited:
Not sure what they were talking about either. Especially about the drop in range. They've never had 19" 'turbine' wheels anyway, only the 21" version. As Gizmotoy said the do have the 19" cyclone rims.

Which Tesla store what this at? Can't believe they all wouldn't know what the company has in stock.

It's not a stocking issue.. they were put up, and then pulled. When I asked the TM employees about it, they said that if I was lucky, they might be able to find an unsold set somewhere, but it was unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are the first person to report this. Did you get a a picture of the screen?

I sure wish I did. I had an order made out and everything. This was about 6 or 10 weeks ago.

They would sell really well. Their explanations obviously make no sense why they were pulled. Maybe they didn't get enough in stock or some issue with the actual rim showed up. I'd definitely order them.

This would be news to me. I've been very active on these forums and I've seen no such talk about oem 19" *turbines* (not cyclones). Only thing remotely similar are the aftermarket Rials.
Same, though for not quite as long as you. A search of the 54-page "19" Turbine wheel solution" thread turned up nothing. I think he's mistaken. Maybe confusing the turbines with the Aero wheels, which were introduced and then shortly after pulled.

The only rims I know of that Tesla put up then pulled are the aero rims.
Which, oddly enough, are available right now in the online store as a complete package:
AeroRimsFeb2014.jpg

I found an email with another (different) sales associate when I started looking.. I wrote:

"Also, is it my imagination, or were 19" Turbine wheels briefly available? I could have sworn I saw that option recently, but now it's gone. "

his response: "The 19" Turbine wheels are no longer an option."

Guess they are back! Thanks, good to know. Odd they don't offer then to config with car (at least last time I checked).
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

I believe the Aero Winter Package never went away. I think it just hasn't sold out yet.

I've been tempted on more than one occasion to jump on that offer.

I also remember the 19 inch Turbine-style wheels being online briefly, and as of last month, I was surprised that they were actually still on display at the Houston TX Galleria store. They were silver, not gunmetal. You should try calling them.