Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Connect 2014 - Save the Date - July 18-20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. There was no news whatsoever. Merely insights into the backgrounds of the warriors involved (for an EV revolution) and the ability to see the level of their devotion and in some cases their reasons (Diarmuid in particular). Steve Jurvetson's logical conclusions on the future were highly enjoyable, but alas, no news.

Yeah. There was no news whatsoever. Merely insights into the backgrounds of the warriors involved (for an EV revolution) and the ability to see the level of their devotion and in some cases their reasons (Diarmuid in particular). Steve Jurvetson's logical conclusions on the future were highly enjoyable, but alas, no news.

That is what I expected, and why I decided not to spend the money on the attendance fee after seeing the agenda and speakers list. I'm sure the attendees had fun and hopefully picked up some useful info from the talks. It's always great to be around a lot of people who are enthusiastic about the topics being discussed.

Would've been nice if they could have made one small announcement at the conference. Battery swap, firmware 6.0 sneak peak, etc. I don't think that would've killed them. Obviously I wouldn't expect some major announcement on say the giga-factory, but you get my point.

but didn't he also say that you wouldn't be able to drive them except on a track?
like the electric part though
I forget which speaker it was talking on autonomous cars, and when I heard the "but it'll be illegal for you to drive" line I thought: "Hmm. Would it be acceptable to boo?" :biggrin:

Not for the speaker of course, I think that's a genuine possibility in the future, but for the idea. Obviously I decided against it. You can pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands, legislatures.

That said, a car that provides the *option* of driving me around would be much appreciated.

I forget which speaker it was talking on autonomous cars, and when I heard the "but it'll be illegal for you to drive" line I thought: "Hmm. Would it be acceptable to boo?" :biggrin:

Not for the speaker of course, I think that's a genuine possibility in the future, but for the idea. Obviously I decided against it. You can pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands, legislatures.

That said, a car that provides the *option* of driving me around would be much appreciated.

We were going to Boo the 'GMO's are important to feed the next X billion" thing that SJ said otherwise he was very interesting, a great speaker, super exuberant and full of energy.
sure they are neat and all but I must disagree w/ what we are doing to our nature which supports us. GMO stuff is killing our insects you know?
maybe not having Xbillion more people would be even better? blah, blah.. organic GYO yummy!

We were going to Boo the 'GMO's are important to feed the next X billion" thing that SJ said otherwise he was very interesting, a great speaker, super exuberant and full of energy.
sure they are neat and all but I must disagree w/ what we are doing to our nature which supports us. GMO stuff is killing our insects you know?
maybe not having Xbillion more people would be even better? blah, blah.. organic GYO yummy!

I remember thinking that particular comment might not be very well-received with the Tesla crowd. To his credit I'm sure he knew that and said it anyway. Takes some character in front of so many people.

Same with Sexton and the Supercharger question.

Really great speakers, I thought.

I somehow missed that comment and would have joined in the booing.

I have to admit I did get a bit bored in some of the presentations and played a few games on the phone....

Part of the fundamental problem is that conferences post-internet are really not that necessary. Information available on demand, so if you keep in touch with it, there is not much to learn. I would have preferred some more technical talks myself.

Part of the fundamental problem is that conferences post-internet are really not that necessary. Information available on demand, so if you keep in touch with it, there is not much to learn. I would have preferred some more technical talks myself.

Steve said something interesting that most blew right over ... that most new ideas come from urban areas and universities, because of the exchange of ideas / ideas building on ideas / leapfrogging / etc. Conferences ARE important, because even though you can get presented information sitting in front of your computer, you cannot get the EXCHANGE of ideas that happen at conferences. And that's why people heard me say multiple times that it's the attendees that make the conference. Presenters are the spark. Attendees are the real reason for being there.

Steve said something interesting that most blew right over ... that most new ideas come from urban areas and universities, because of the exchange of ideas / ideas building on ideas / leapfrogging / etc. Conferences ARE important, because even though you can get presented information sitting in front of your computer, you cannot get the EXCHANGE of ideas that happen at conferences. And that's why people heard me say multiple times that it's the attendees that make the conference. Presenters are the spark. Attendees are the real reason for being there.

Exactly. That's the real reason to go to a conference. Not because there's gonna be any news. You can follow the news on your computer anyway.

Don't leave us folks who could not attend hanging :). What was the supercharger question?

Apparently way back when she made some disparaging comments about the announcement of Tesla's new Superchargers network along the lines of it being the opposite of what the movement needed. Fewer charging standards, not more, something to that effect.

The question was whether she still stood behind that position after seeing the success of the network and what it's done for EV adoption.

The answer was a qualified yes. She felt the media mischaracterized her statements, that the Supercharger network was successful for Tesla, and in a lot of ways what's good for Tesla is good for the EV movement, but she still felt that multiple proprietary standards aren't a good way to spread EVs to the masses.

The above is all from memory and may not be 100% accurate, but that's what I recall. I think videos of the presentations will get posted eventually so you can hear it right from her. Her presentation was fantastic, IMO.