TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blog TMC Member Offers Tesla Model 3 First Look

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TMC Staff, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TMC Staff

#1 TMC Staff, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
    TMC Member Joseph Torbati is now showing off the second Model 3 to land in his Fremont, Calif.-based detailing shop.

In a video posted to YouTube, Torbati gives us a full walk around a red Model 3, showing off its keycard unlocking system, door handles, backseat, trunk and a perspective from the driver’s seat.

READ FULL ARTICLE

• Informative x 1
  2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I hope the owner of that Model 3 gave his or her permission for it to be used in this manner. I'm not sure I would appreciate having my personal vehicle shown off as a way to promote someone else's detailing business.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

On the black car (the first Model 3 he had in his shop), he said he got permission from the owner to do a video on it. I assume he likewise did the same with this red one.

• Informative x 1
  4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I don't like the fact that you need to take the key card out and touch it some place for the doors to unlock. Even in my lowly Nissan Leaf, I can keep the keys in my pocket and simply open the locks with a press of a button in the handle. Same goes for starting the car. No need to take the keys out of the pocket. It seems in M3 you need to touch the keys in a specific spot for the car to start..

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Haddock

Haddock Member

Normally you'll be using the Bluetooth on your phone.

• Like x 4
  6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I would have like to see the screen functions in more detail.
    please explain the card/bluetooth usage

7. Haddock

Haddock Member

Nice!

I can see the rollers on the steering wheel being multifunction. When it's raining you press some button on the screen and for the next x minutes, the right roller controls the wiping speed. Or something. Am I being too optimistic thinking that a company from California will understand how to handle rain at some point?

Are the rollers just up-down, or do they have some left-right function too? Can you also click them down like the roller on a mouse?

8. CTreast

CTreast Member

He didn't look that comfortable to me in the back seat. His knees were awfully high. That's what stood out for me the most.

• Like x 1
  9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

He's sitting in a funny position, with his feet tucked under him instead of stretched out. No idea why.

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#10 dhanson865, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    That method is meant to be used in emergencies if your phone is dead, or as a convenience to loan a key to a valet, friend, or family member.

The primary method is to use your phone as the key and when doing so it won't have to be in a specific spot as the range of that signal is longer.

The catch is Tesla hasn't enabled the primary method yet. That may take a few weeks or months and then a software update will be available.

• Like x 1
  11. DR61

DR61 Member

Well, perhaps you should be optimistic. Last season (2016-2017) California got 87 cm (34 in) total rainfall average across the entire state. Some of the highest snowfalls in the US occur near Donner Pass on the route between Fremont, CA and the Gigafactory in Sparks, NV. Rainfall near Donner Pass totaled 301 cm (119 in).

12. SO_S90D

SO_S90D Member

I can see left and right arrows next to those wheel buttons as well.

13. sneakypotato

sneakypotato Member

Yeah it was the first time that I actually questioned the "roominess" of the M3. He did mention that he had the seat back a bit because it was set to how he would sit in the drivers seat, but it still didn't look much farther back than the passenger seat.

14. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Hopefully this video won't be taken down

15. msabadish

msabadish Member

Any thoughts on what the paint cover/protection is that he pointed out at the end of the video?

16. JPP

JPP Active Member

Stealth wrap...

• Informative x 1
  17. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Maybe not... seems they are more bothered by videos that show the UI in operation, which is likely still a WIP, rather than the hardware features, which are pretty much finalized.

18. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

I read that Tesla had initial owners sign some sort of a non-disclosure agreement (can't recall the exact term).
    I can understand that with the very early vehicles released to employees ......
    I wonder how long that policy will remain?
    I'm thinking that when everyday buyers start taking delivery there is no way that Tesla can continue to require silence.

• Like x 1
  19. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Shop owners aren't Tesla employees.....so they don't have NDA's. They can say and show anything.

Tesla can't block that.

20. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Supporting Member

In previous video he mentioned that he is 6 ft 3 inches tall, and in this video he mentioned that front seat is adjusted as for him to be comfortable in driving position. I think if you try that with one of the competitors, say BMW 330i, you likely change your opinion on Model 3 roominess.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1