Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Long Range or Not to Long Range...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on keeping this car for 10+ years... I don't think my brain could handle the stress of 10 years of thinking "I wish I had bought the LR version". The range + increased acceleration + extra warranty on the LR version makes me fall for Elon's 9k price trap :S
We are planning to keep both our x and our
3 for 10-15 years so paying a little extra now seemed to make sense.

I plan on keeping this car for 10+ years... I don't think my brain could handle the stress of 10 years of thinking "I wish I had bought the LR version". The range + increased acceleration + extra warranty on the LR version makes me fall for Elon's 9k price trap :S
I keep waffling on the choice myself. I went to A Better Routeplanner and calculated my regular business trips and weekend getaways. In most cases, with the Long Range, I could drive out and easily come back home on one charge. Then recalculated the same with the Standard battery and on most I would have to stop at least once to charge. I have to say that makes the Long Range much more attractive. But at the same time, as others have indicated, there's a lot of other things I could do with that $9K. That's a chunk of change in my book.

I was on A Better Routeplanner for over 3 hours yesterday, flipping back and forth on both battery packs with over 50 road trip destinations. Starting from Portland Oregon and going as far as Dallas Texas and east Montana. In almost every situation I had to stop at almost all the same superchargers, I think on average it skipped 2 out of 15 on a long trip saving me 3 hours on a 31 hour trip. The additional time was from longer charge time and not the fact had I had to stop. Conveniently the longer stops were after driving for 3 hours or so. In some cases it was only a 10 min stop for the long range and 35 for the short range. So it's really not about how often I have to stop. More like how long do I want to wait while I am stopped. I decided that after 3 hours of non-stop driving I'm ok with an extra 25 min on a road trip that lasts all day. We are talking about 2-3 trips a year max. I think the $9k I'll save will pay for the hotels on those trips for the life of the car.

I was on A Better Routeplanner for over 3 hours yesterday, flipping back and forth on both battery packs with over 50 road trip destinations. Starting from Portland Oregon and going as far as Dallas Texas and east Montana. In almost every situation I had to stop at almost all the same superchargers, I think on average it skipped 2 out of 15 on a long trip saving me 3 hours on a 31 hour trip. The additional time was from longer charge time and not the fact had I had to stop. Conveniently the longer stops were after driving for 3 hours or so. In some cases it was only a 10 min stop for the long range and 35 for the short range. So it's really not about how often I have to stop. More like how long do I want to wait while I am stopped. I decided that after 3 hours of non-stop driving I'm ok with an extra 25 min on a road trip that lasts all day. We are talking about 2-3 trips a year max. I think the $9k I'll save will pay for the hotels on those trips for the life of the car.

Omg I just wanted to thank you guys for introducing me to A Better Routeplanner! :) I will certainly be using this, and it is slowly influencing my long range decision!

We make one or two long trips a year and having the capacity of the Sprinter van is nice, as in queen-size bed fits! S.F. is 10 hours, that's a long day's drive and we would have to stop and charge twice regardless of which battery we buy. That's another 3 hours. We could drive to Seattle (which is another likely destination) without charging with either battery. So, we'll stick with the base battery.

Reactions: Thomas Edison

This is exactly the argument and justification I am using with the wife.

Nope that new deck is still a few years out - gotta get the LR and not look back.