Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Long Range or Not to Long Range...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly it's all about your budget. The rule of thumb is Buy the biggest battery you can afford. If it's in your budget then do it.

True, I think the sweet spot for me personally would be right between the two batteries but no dice. Even if it's in the budget I hate to spend an extra 9k if I'm not going to utilize it, its a tough call.

My wife and I pondered this a lot and decided that the base model is fine. We can do everything we'd need with the 220mi range and $9000 will get a hell of a lot of rentals for the (maybe) once per year we might need more. Yes, I'd like the extra speed and range would be "nice" but totally not necessary for my family. Saving money is nice.

My wife and I pondered this a lot and decided that the base model is fine. We can do everything we'd need with the 220mi range and $9000 will get a hell of a lot of rentals for the (maybe) once per year we might need more. Yes, I'd like the extra speed and range would be "nice" but totally not necessary for my family. Saving money is nice.

I have the same thought process and have finally made a decision.... I think. I'd like the small bump in speed and supercharging but I'll pocket that 9k and be happier since the 220 should fulfill my driving needs. Unfortunately it means I might be waiting another 3 months but I have patience.

I just won't use that extra mileage enough to justify the 9k plus sales tax AND ownership tax on that amount.

Reactions: kenbefound
Honestly it's all about your budget. The rule of thumb is Buy the biggest battery you can afford. If it's in your budget then do it.
Whatever rated range means I don't need to discuss range or rules of thumb anymore is the range I want. The Model 3 310 may not quite accomplish that goal given 310 is more like 230-250 in most situations. But it's close. The Model 3 220, which is really more like 150-170? Not even close.

I'm hoping there will be some independent testing showing how the real-world highway range compares to the EPA rating before placing an order.
Based on the Model S (and really any other car), it depends on the driver, weather, and terrain. I get better than EPA, some folks get worse. Everyone's real world is different. Here's how you can tell.

1. Find the EPA number for your current car.
2. Check what you're actually getting on your current car. (from your logbook or energy use app).
3. Divide your actual number by the EPA number for your car.
4. Multiply the ratio found in step 3 by the EPA number to get a really close idea of what you will achieve in the Model 3.

Whatever rated range means I don't need to discuss range or rules of thumb anymore is the range I want. The Model 3 310 may not quite accomplish that goal given 310 is more like 230-250 in most situations. But it's close. The Model 3 220, which is really more like 150-170? Not even close.
Rated range is basically EPA. What you get depends on a number of factors. On my S85, I have an average of 246 Wh/mi over 94K miles about half of which are highway miles. Not everyone does that well, but saying 310 is more like 230-250 isn't correct--unless you're talking about -20 weather with snow covered ground.

At the risk of sounding "poor" I just can't justify a 60k vehicle. And I feel that in order to get a complete vehicle that doesn't feel like a neutered EV I can't get away for less than 45k. (Base Model, + 5k for the only available upgrade package + 5k for AP). Now I'd like another color besides black and better wheels but those are truly optional things.

Having manual, cloth seats, no covered storage and possibly no basic cruse control (no one has confirmed either way on that) for 35k just seems like it's not the vision that Tesla is selling to me anyway. So I'll need the 45k car, Can't slap another 9k on that for range I'll use once a year.

Reactions: Gtosnipey
Rated range is basically EPA. What you get depends on a number of factors. On my S85, I have an average of 246 Wh/mi over 94K miles about half of which are highway miles. Not everyone does that well, but saying 310 is more like 230-250 isn't correct--unless you're talking about -20 weather with snow covered ground.

Or driving 85mph. But to say "in most situations" is definitely not true.

At the risk of sounding "poor" I just can't justify a 60k vehicle. And I feel that in order to get a complete vehicle that doesn't feel like a neutered EV I can't get away for less than 45k. (Base Model, + 5k for the only available upgrade package + 5k for AP). Now I'd like another color besides black and better wheels but those are truly optional things.

Having manual, cloth seats, no covered storage and possibly no basic cruse control (no one has confirmed either way on that) for 35k just seems like it's not the vision that Tesla is selling to me anyway. So I'll need the 45k car, Can't slap another 9k on that for range I'll use once a year.

Having manual what? not sure what you're talking about here..?

On the other thread there was mention that not having spare tire saves plenty weight, so it gives better range. How about if you only charge up to half-full, how much weight that would save and give better range/kWh rating? What's the weight of full battery of electrons? Improve your MPGe by only half charging

:) ;)

We had a 60D that had about 220 mi range. I used it for a 30-40mi daily commute. There were about 5 family trips that we went on during the year that ranged between 100-300 mi in the Tesla and the superchargers worked great. Extra range is helpful because it allows you to drive comfortably at higher speeds without worrying (i.e. 80mph to Vegas to keep up with traffic or up the mountains and using 500+ wh/mi).

Ultimately, the decision was based on whether the extra $9k was worth spending on range vs a family vacation or two and the latter won.

Last edited:
Having manual, cloth seats, no covered storage and possibly no basic cruse control (no one has confirmed either way on that) for 35k just seems like it's not the vision that Tesla is selling to me anyway.

Having manual what? not sure what you're talking about here..?

Manual seats.

The first comma in that sentence separating the two adjectives for the seats was quite confusing given it was in the midst of a list.

And no Oxford comma either. Tsk, tsk.:D

Keep in mind battery degradation in range over the first year.

220 may end up reducing to 210 within a year...310 to 300. (Based on a average model S/X reductions in a 12 month period.) After year 1, reductions in range seem to stabilize.

Cold driving conditions? Knock another 25% off the range:

210 x.75 = 157.5
300 x .75 = 225

Just want those who haven't gone through a year with a Tesla to know real world driving conditions...especially those in the Northern States and Canada.

Reactions: KJD
On the other thread there was mention that not having spare tire saves plenty weight, so it gives better range. How about if you only charge up to half-full, how much weight that would save and give better range/kWh rating? What's the weight of full battery of electrons? Improve your MPGe by only half charging

:) ;)

OK i'm reading this and i'm like , wait what!?
:):)

Manual seats.

The first comma in that sentence separating the two adjectives for the seats was quite confusing given it was in the midst of a list.

And no Oxford comma either. Tsk, tsk.:D

Yes manual cloth seats. My apologies for adding my drop of poor punctuation to the great sea of punctuation mistakes that is the internet. (One of the reasons I never went into coding growing up, one missed comma, extra space, etc just killed you code. Don't know if it's the same these days)

Unfortunately I no longer have the option to edit my post. The shame of my poor grammatical choices will be on display for the word to see until the collapse of civilization.

• Funny
Reactions: shrspeedblade