Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Long Range or Not to Long Range...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like my thought process but realistically I realize the LR is probably unnecessary for my needs. I do think the LR will hold value better at both 5 and 10 years, but by how much no one knows. I think the 210 with degradation and future advances in range will seem short on range.
Because people will routinely drive 150+ miles most days ?

I suspect that the depreciation will occur due to much faster charging in the future, and then the ~ 30% faster charging in 310 Model 3 over the base version today may look like a small difference. For example:

220m Model 3: 60 kW
310m Model 3: 80 kW
Future car: 200 kW

Because people will routinely drive 150+ miles most days ?

I suspect that the depreciation will occur due to much faster charging in the future, and then the ~ 30% faster charging in 310 Model 3 over the base version today may look like a small difference. For example:

220m Model 3: 60 kW
310m Model 3: 80 kW
Future car: 200 kW

I didn't say I did but some may. Even if someone doesn't drive that far daily there is a fear among new EV owners whether purchasing new or used about range and you can't deny that.

I do agree that charging speed will make a big difference in the future.

Reactions: kenbefound
there is a fear among new EV owners whether purchasing new or used about range and you can't deny that.
I suppose, but it is based on ignorance that will presumably drop in the future as EVs become more common and SCs more plentiful. If you are going to make a purchase decision today based on resell value in the future then take into consideration the likely future state of affairs.

The truth is, tech advances too rapidly to make your kind of decision rational. Pretty big differences (in function and price) today are small differences in 5 years. And ignore the minority of future buyers. They are the minority.

Last edited:
I don't know if I agree. I certainly agree that in 5 or 10 years, 300 or even 400 miles range will likely be far more common. But does that mean 220 and 310 are equivalent? I think of it more like the 220 becomes more undesirable due to it being much lower than what is currently available. Sorry to "argue" on such a speculate subject!

Reactions: jsrawa
I don't know if I agree. I certainly agree that in 5 or 10 years, 300 or even 400 miles range will likely be far more common. But does that mean 220 and 310 are equivalent? I think of it more like the 220 becomes more undesirable due to it being much lower than what is currently available. Sorry to "argue" on such a speculate subject!
I hear you. If the average is 300, you are right. If the average EV has 400, then they both would be inferior, and I'd be right. :)

The LEAF is a good example:

When packs were 24 kWh, the upcoming 30 kWh pack was a point of envy and commanded a premium. Today both packs are viewed as local commuter cars and the cars sell for similar amounts. The 60+ kWh packs in other EVs deprecated the 5 kWh (25%) improvement.

The other issue is that cost per kWh will surely drop, perhaps dramatically in the next 5-10 years. No one will care that you paid $400 a kWh today if the future price is $100 a kWh in a new car. At best, the 25 kWh purchase today would fetch $2500 in that future scenario.

Buy the car that will satisfy you for 10 years. Anything else becomes an exercise in eating rapid depreciation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Robert831
The LEAF is a good example:

When packs were 24 kWh, the upcoming 30 kWh pack was a point of envy and commanded a premium. Today both packs are viewed as local commuter cars and the cars sell for similar amounts. The 60+ kWh packs in other EVs deprecated the 5 kWh (25%) improvement.

The other issue is that cost per kWh will surely drop, perhaps dramatically in the next 5-10 years. No one will care that you paid $400 a kWh today if the future price is $100 a kWh in a new car. At best, the 25 kWh purchase today would fetch $2500 in that future scenario.

Buy the car that will satisfy you for 10 years. Anything else becomes an exercise in eating rapid depreciation.

I agree, choose the car that will work for you for 10 years but the future is hard to judge. The long range will fetch some premium when it comes to resale but I'd guess 2k with all the model 3s that will be on the road. With battery advances I'll admit that maybe it won't even hold that, it's just hard to predict.

Depreciation is underrated, IMO. My VW Jetta under 10 years old is worth about $3k. Maybe 15% of the new price. In 8 years, as tech expands, our cars will be worth maybe $5k-$10k. As you said, get what you need, not what you expect to help resale value in 5-10 years. JMO.

I agree, choose the car that will work for you for 10 years but the future is hard to judge. The long range will fetch some premium when it comes to resale but I'd guess 2k with all the model 3s that will be on the road. With battery advances I'll admit that maybe it won't even hold that, it's just hard to predict.
Perhaps one way to look at it is to consider the ability to sell the car on the used market in the future. Over time, the base range of new EVs will increase. Today, that target is about 200 miles; 10 years from now, it's probably going to be somewhere between 250 and 300 miles. Less than that, and you're looking at a limited-use car (e.g. commuting). Used short-distance cars are practically free on the used market.

An originally 220 mile car will probably be down to something around 180 miles or less, and therefore may not be competitive on the resale market 10 years from now. An originally 310 mile car probably will be viable, even with normal degradation. So, you may end up essentially junking the 220 mile base car in 10 years, while the long range 310 may still have sufficient range to be competitive with the mainstream, but lower-end, new cars. With Tesla's continual software updates, the long range car will hold its value much longer than the base car. At least, that's my theory...

Good points all.

I'm concerned here in Colorado as I have the triple threat of weather, elevation and high speeds on the highway.

I fully expect that the 220 would be more like 150 or so on most of the trips I take so I'm going with the LR. I regularly have to travel 200 miles RT regionally here and, other than east, everything is uphill.
Two things:
1. Your state is ideal for screenshots.
2. By the time you get your car all these grey superchargers will be red.

I'd get the standard range and spend the difference on bells and whistles.
upload_2017-8-6_16-45-3.png

Almost no one who has purchased a larger battery says that if they had to do it over again they would get the smaller one. The same can't be said for those who purchased the smaller battery. Besides longer range, there's the potential of faster Supercharging, and battery life before replacement (thought the way my battery is lasting, I may need replacement before it does). IMHO, the reasons you might want to consider the smaller battery are:
1. Your car is going to be a commuter car because you already have an X, S, or Roadster with the new pack.
2. You have a three year lease and don't intend to keep the car past the three years, so battery life doesn't enter into it.
3. Finances.