Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was less lucky.. upgraded today, nothing was mentioned when I picked it up but the first thing I noticed was the sub not working. Went back to the Service center, they said they didn't even notice it, but with the MCU replacement the default amp was also replaced; therefore the sub signal needs to be reconnected somehow - which Tesla won't do for aftermarket upgrades, I'll need to go back to the installation company to see what they can do.

A bit disappointed since it was in fact a Tesla sales rep who recommended me back in 2017 to get an aftermarket audio upgrade (the Tesla audio upgrade was EUR 5.5k back then and included other things I wasn't interested in).

Other than that, happy with the upgrade, it's nice to have a workable MCU again instead of a slow laggy screen in a modern car like the S!
kinda odd. When I installed my NVX sub, I installed my line level converter on left side of dash in a space that was perfect for the small converter. (Left of steering wheel in this pic where it says "amp". Thats where my converter is)

interior_top_view_red_tan_12-speakers1-jpg.637836

Tapped into speaker wires for my signal from same side, floor level just ahead of the door behind kick panel. Close to dead pedal area. I needed nothing from the MCU area for my install nor did I need to touch/tap into the factory amp for anything.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Daniel-RedS
So did they replace your IC too? Since you have AP1 this would be confirmation that there isn't some older configuration where they keep IC1.

There is no separate item for the IC listed on my invoice, but the Service person (when I dropped off the car) explained the level of work required (pull apart center stack, replace IC, replace radio card) when he gave me the time estimate for the repair. Other than that I have no way to know if the IC is different or not.

Interesting points!

Has anyone who's gotten the new IC also have AP1?

So, update: to all I have crossed, doubted, misunderstood, etc., I humbly stand corrected. I haven't read every thread and every post but thought I had a clue about the MCU2 upgrade. Apparently, I did not. Service center just confirmed what some of you have said: the IC2 comes with the MCU2 upgrade as a package. That would also clarify why the fonts, layout, annunciations are different. I attributed those just to the code coming out of MCU2.
BTW: mine is a 2016.5 refresh 90D AP1 no FSD software or hardware. So in answer to @sorka I got the new IC with AP1 no FSd.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and sorka
I saw your report about this a while back and asked around in the forum and even started this thread:

UHFS sound quality after MCU1->MCU2 upgrade?

So far nobody else saying performance actually degraded but that the volume range changed and they have to turn the volume up higher. Did the range actually changed (max number) or is this due to an impedance matching change (which would be bad).

Do you have the UHFS? If so, can you verify they hooked your subwoofer back up and that it's actually working?

I don't have UHFS/Premium. Messing with the EQ helps a little bit, but as someone mentioned in that other thread, there seems to be a small (10-20ms?) delay between the front speakers and the rear which for me is interpreted as throwing the soundstage off. The delay is noticeable if your head is perpendicular to the windscreen - the difference effect almost like an echo between left and right ears. Thankfully, I drive with my head facing forwards most of the time :) - I've gotten used to it now, but it's had the effect of me not listening to music in the car as much any more. Both of the "backwards steps" make me want to drive my wife's Model 3 because the audio is better, and I won't crash into anything when backing into the driveway at night. I wish they'd just offer some line level outs and I'd throw some aftermarket gear in and solve it myself.

Last edited:
Most private buyers aren't going to know in advance that they can upgrade to MCU2. All they're going to care about is what features it has now when it's being sold. Even for buyers that know, most aren't going to want to go through the hassle to upgrade. Also, this is Tesla, they could raise the price again or more likely just stop offering the upgrade after the whole Tegra recall mess is done.

For me, I'd gladly pay the upgrade price in resale or even more if I was looking for an older Tesla. I'd prefer to get one that has already gone through the hassle of doing the upgrade.
Those buyers who don't know about MCU2 upgrade will likely have no clue about MCU1 vs MCU2 either, so they are not going to value the upgrade at the retail $2,000. If you explain to them that it is a $2,000 upgrade (with FM), then perhaps you will get a depreciated value (same % of $2,000 as your car value of MSRP). Any buyer who will come in armed with the knowledge of the differences, will more than likely know about the upgrade, and the recall on MCU1 which gets them a free CPU board anyways. I see MCU2 upgraded cars selling faster, but not for much more money. Of course there are always exceptions, like those people who have bought used Teslas for above MSRP sans rebates for example - not a lot of those, but occasionally you will find one.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the Light Harmonics amp still works after the MCU2 upgrade?

Or I suppose the same question: if anyone had removed the amp in their MCU1 vehicle when trading/selling it, but it didn't in their new MCU2?

So, update: to all I have crossed, doubted, misunderstood, etc., I humbly stand corrected. I haven't read every thread and every post but thought I had a clue about the MCU2 upgrade. Apparently, I did not. Service center just confirmed what some of you have said: the IC2 comes with the MCU2 upgrade as a package. That would also clarify why the fonts, layout, annunciations are different. I attributed those just to the code coming out of MCU2.
BTW: mine is a 2016.5 refresh 90D AP1 no FSD software or hardware. So in answer to @sorka I got the new IC with AP1 no FSd.

The layout of the IC screen was changed in software. I was upgraded to that new layout BEFORE my MCU2 upgrade.

Those buyers who don't know about MCU2 upgrade will likely have no clue about MCU1 vs MCU2 either, so they are not going to value the upgrade at the retail $2,000. If you explain to them that it is a $2,000 upgrade (with FM), then perhaps you will get a depreciated value (same % of $2,000 as your car value of MSRP). Any buyer who will come in armed with the knowledge of the differences, will more than likely know about the upgrade, and the recall on MCU1 which gets them a free CPU board anyways. I see MCU2 upgraded cars selling faster, but not for much more money. Of course there are always exceptions, like those people who have bought used Teslas for above MSRP sans rebates for example - not a lot of those, but occasionally you will find one.

They'll also know that the price drop could vanish and that the upgrade will eventually not be an option. At some point owners are either going to upgrade or get the eMMC replacement. When most have done one or the other, Tesla is not going to want to continue offering the MCU2 upgrade....at any price.

It was like that with the Ludicrous upgrade. Tesla offered that to P85Ds to stem the inevitable class action that was forming up over 691 gate. Not only can you NOT purchase the L upgrade anymore for the P85D, you can't even get it for P90Ds that have all the hardware. Tesla would rather sell you a new car.

Tesla is not offering the MCU2 upgrade to make money. At $1500 for both the MCU2 and the IC2 and all the labor, I'll but they're just about coming out even if that. They're offering it as a way to unload extra supply and not lose money servicing MCU1 recall fixes. As soon as their current supply is gone, that's it. No more MCU2 upgrades. I'm already a little nervous that they'll tell me the day before I come in for my appointment that they have to reschedule because the parts aren't in and then when that comes only to discover they ran out...for good.

Last edited:
Just had my MCU upgraded. Huge improvement to MCU1 even with the daughterboard replacement. Thank you to all who convinced me this is money well spent. Took about two weeks for parts to arrive and a few hours for the installation. They failed to transfer the settings (the SA told me there was a problem backing up my old settings) but otherwise everything went smoothly. As soon as I got home, a software update arrived (2021.4.6). It’s been a long time since our Model S was in the first rollout wave for software updates and I couldn’t believe it at first.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Do you think they'll be able to save my settings from my current v8.1:eek: I'm thinking I don't even want them to try. I'd almost rather start from scratch.

Can you update before going to the appt.? Didn't you remove a seat connection or something to prevent updates? Might want to try updating, or they might need a longer than normal appt.; might even try charging you extra for the time involved!?

Also I was going to ask if you have been looking at a yellow clock icon on the screen for 2+ years, but I don't even remember what V8 looked like....:D

Last edited:
Do you think they'll be able to save my settings from my current v8.1:eek: I'm thinking I don't even want them to try. I'd almost rather start from scratch.

@sorka, I think a fresh start is wise. Considering what we know Tesla tells us that residual files from energy, trips, NAV and who knows what else has had an impact on MCU1, I think its wise to either perform a reset or start fresh. Good idea on your part.

Can you update before going to the appt.? Didn't you remove a seat connection or something to prevent updates? Might want to try updating, or they might need a longer than normal appt.; might even try charging you extra for the time involved!?

Also I was going to ask if you have been looking at a yellow clock icon on the screen for 2+ years, but I don't even remember what V8 looked like....:D

No longer connected to the servers so can't download update.

My MCU1+AP2 was updated to MCU2+HW3 and it's indeed much faster but i'm perhaps more happy about the HW3 upgrade. Autopilot seems to work much better and I'm imaging that so do highbeams and the rainsensor. Anyway well worth the money :)