Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of us that paid $2500 were pleased with our upgrade and I at least for one, think it was well worth the price. And we don't begrudge that the price was lowered to $1500, even when we don't get anything of the $1,000 difference. That's just the way things work out. But to hear folks comment that the newest price at $2,000 is unfair seems... well hmm, _______. I'll let someone else fill in the blank. I recall reading how there were those that were going to take their chances that the price would fall again from the $1,500 to some number. I guess those folks are now wishing they had jumped on that bargain at $1,500. Again, that's just the way things work out. Sorry it works out that way.

I don't agree. The issue is that the extra $500 they are charging ap 2.0 and 2.5 cars is for HW3. Which is supposed to be free with FSD

I don't agree. The issue is that the extra $500 they are charging ap 2.0 and 2.5 cars is for HW3. Which is supposed to be free with FSD

perhaps I miss something but I don't recall Tesla saying the reason you're paying more is to give you the hardware 3. perhaps it's just more difficult, more expensive, better equipment, to do the cars that have hardware 3 capability.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
For those of you that did the MCU2 upgrade, did your spotify stop crashing? I just got my car back from the 8 gb emmc recall fix and my spotify still crashes every time. I have a 2015 AP1/MCU1 with premium connectivity/LTE
The 8GB EMMC "fix" is totally different from MCU2 upgrade. MCU2 gets you a much faster, more powerful processor. EMMC is simply addressing a memory issue.

As soon as I went from MCU1 to MCU2? My streaming service issues (including Spotify crashing, especially when attempting to change from one streaming service to another) 100% disappeared. I have not had one single streaming service crash since going to MCU2

[rant]Turns out the service appointment I made a month ago just meant « we will look at your request 4 days before, send you an invoice and if you accept order the parts and contact you when you can make an appointment when the parts are here ». What a great service.

I am postponing the MCU upgrade for now (as I did not realize it also meant losing DAB (I dumbly thought it was just analog radio (AM/FM)) and having Netflix, a bunch of games and radio « again » isn’t worth 2’500. As for a normally functioning, stable and responsive touchscreen.. I thought that was included in the 90k+ I paid for the car originally. Guess I was wrong. I’ll just wait for the MCU to finally give up and die and they’ll either replace the eMCC or the MCU for free then; I just hope they end up paying less than 2’500 for the tow..[/rant]

[rant]Turns out the service appointment I made a month ago just meant « we will look at your request 4 days before, send you an invoice and if you accept order the parts and contact you when you can make an appointment when the parts are here ». What a great service.

I am postponing the MCU upgrade for now (as I did not realize it also meant losing DAB (I dumbly thought it was just analog radio (AM/FM)) and having Netflix, a bunch of games and radio « again » isn’t worth 2’500. As for a normally functioning, stable and responsive touchscreen.. I thought that was included in the 90k+ I paid for the car originally. Guess I was wrong. I’ll just wait for the MCU to finally give up and die and they’ll either replace the eMCC or the MCU for free then; I just hope they end up paying less than 2’500 for the tow..[/rant]

Do you know for sure they would replace your dead MCU free of charge under warranty and not consider it a consumable wear and tear item?

What is it you don't agree with?

Trying to explain this since many are missing my point.

Tesla bumped up the price for Ap2.0/2.5 cars to $2000 from $1500. The price for AP 1.0 and older cars remains $1500. This price difference is for the cost of HW3 (which isn't installed in older AP 1.0 cars). Unless Tesla has determined that there are no longer any AP2.0-2.5 cars that prepaid for FSD but didn't get HW3 yet, why are they now off loading the cost of HW3 (which should be free with FSD prepaid).

Example - I installed HW3 (prepaid FSD) but kept MCU1 last year for free. Then upgraded to MCU2 for $1500.

Example 2 - Owner that prepaid FSD but never bothered to get HW3 installed and kept MCU1. Now this owner wants to get MCU2, he now pays $2000 to get HW3/MCU2, while older cars will only pay $1500 since they don't get HW3.

The issue is not the price increase, they could charge $3000 if they wanted. The issue is charging $500 for HW3 which should be free for FSD owners (unless Tesla determined there are no more prepaid FSD/MCU1 cars left)

Reactions: fetzu
We don't have yet a detailed menu with prices. A menu that goes deep enough for an explanation about the 2.0/2.5 cars. In your comment above, you may be correct. Could be that Tesla has determined that there are no longer any AP2.0/2.5 cars that prepaid for FSD. Or, we've not heard from anyone that has recently got MCU2 upgrade and had FSD, so they might get a $500 discount at payment time.

Reactions: viper2ko
For those of you that did the MCU2 upgrade, did your spotify stop crashing? I just got my car back from the 8 gb emmc recall fix and my spotify still crashes every time. I have a 2015 AP1/MCU1 with premium connectivity/LTE

As soon as I went from MCU1 to MCU2? My streaming service issues (including Spotify crashing, especially when attempting to change from one streaming service to another) 100% disappeared. I have not had one single streaming service crash since going to MCU2
both of these are good to hear.

these are the things I've been wondering, in my 2015 AP1/MCU1 70D Spotify stops working almost every single drive, whether refusing to start up when first getting in the car or almost always stopping within a few minutes of driving - until I switch audio sources, sometimes a few times and back before Spotify will start playing again. Especially these days my drives are mostly short, so a very high percentage of the time in the car I'm fiddling with the screen while driving, just hoping to hear some music. Really ruins the enjoyment of the drive.

I feel my car is starting to show some of the various early signs of eMMC failure, but now with the recall Tesla seems to want MCU1 to fail completely before doing the replacement. Was hoping for it to fail sooner than later, to try the MCU1/eMMC free replacement first and see if Spotify behaves better, then if not bite the bullet and pay for the infotainment upgrade. but maybe it takes months, or a year or two for the MCU to completely fail?

sounds like maybe worth it to just go straight to MCU2 infotainment upgrade and avoid another few years of MCU1/Spotify annoyances? even though less benefit for AP1 cars like mine, and I don't really care about netflix, games etc

We don't have yet a detailed menu with prices. A menu that goes deep enough for an explanation about the 2.0/2.5 cars. In your comment above, you may be correct. Could be that Tesla has determined that there are no longer any AP2.0/2.5 cars that prepaid for FSD. Or, we've not heard from anyone that has recently got MCU2 upgrade and had FSD, so they might get a $500 discount at payment time.

I can tell you specifically that’s not the case: I have an AP2.0 car and preordered FSD, haven’t gotten my AP upgrade yet (and I have asked a few times in the past 12 months) and got confirmation today that the price for me would indeed be 2000.

Granted, I have a facelift S with AP2.. but AFAIK the MCU (including connectors) are exactly the same for an AP1 MS and an AP2 MS; so what would be the reasoning behind the 500 difference besides the fact that they do have to upgrade the AP computer for AP2+ cars? And trust me it’s not because “the menu isn’t detailed enough”: they even bothered adding the Radio Tuner update to the invoice which I specifically told them I did not want.

Do you know for sure they would replace your dead MCU free of charge under warranty and not consider it a consumable wear and tear item?
As per this page (8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions) and the email I’ve received from them; I want to say yes. But then again, this is Tesla we are talking about..

Last edited:

these are the things I've been wondering, in my 2015 AP1/MCU1 70D Spotify stops working almost every single drive, whether refusing to start up when first getting in the car or almost always stopping within a few minutes of driving - until I switch audio sources, sometimes a few times and back before Spotify will start playing again. Especially these days my drives are mostly short, so a very high percentage of the time in the car I'm fiddling with the screen while driving, just hoping to hear some music. Really ruins the enjoyment of the drive.

I feel my car is starting to show some of the various early signs of eMMC failure, but now with the recall Tesla seems to want MCU1 to fail completely before doing the replacement. Was hoping for it to fail sooner than later, to try the MCU1/eMMC free replacement first and see if Spotify behaves better, then if not bite the bullet and pay for the infotainment upgrade. but maybe it takes months, or a year or two for the MCU to completely fail?

sounds like maybe worth it to just go straight to MCU2 infotainment upgrade and avoid another few years of MCU1/Spotify annoyances? even though less benefit for AP1 cars like mine, and I don't really care about netflix, games etc

for me? MCU1 to MCU2 was night and day difference. Granted, I had previously upgraded from EA to FSD, which included HW3. And once I went to FSD/HW3, my MCU1 issues became almost unbearable. MCU2 resurrected the car

• Informative
So - took my AP2/MCU1 2017 Model S into the service center today. Still no estimate showing in the app against the appointment.

Service guy : "Did they quote you a price for this ?"
Me : "The mobile service guy who came out to me last week said it would be $1500. The webpage said it would be $1500. But you asked me to sign off a $0 estimate in order to get the appointment confirmed"

Service guy : "Well there's been a price increase to $2000"
Me : "I think you need to go and have a chat with someone. You sold me something that you advertised for $1500. Now you expect me to pay an extra $500 just because. That's absurd."
Service guy (after going away for 5 minutes) "Well, you placed the order on the 17th, and we increased the price on the 17th. Technically the price is $2000, but we will honor the $1500 this time"
Me : I know it's not your fault, but 'technically' Tesla has the most f'ed up approach top customer service of any brand I know right now. You seem to be able to turn a good deed into a steaming pile of turd almost effortlessly these days"
Service guy. "Your car should be ready in about 4 hours. Would you like an Uber credit ?"

• Informative

I'm with you man. It kills me how bad spotify is now. Was really hoping the emmc "fix" would at least help. I think the map is a little more responsive, which I'm not looking at half the time lol, but spotify still sucks. I want to upgrade my sound system as well but the mcu thing is making me hesitant

I want to say I haven't seen confirmation that the MCU2 increased price for AP2+ was tied directly to HW3 upgrade because the price is also $2000 for AP2+ cars without FSD. My initial thought was just that the upgrade is worth more to post-AP1 cars because it does more things, so as an AP1 owner, it made sense that I wouldn't have to pay as much since I won't get a lot of MCU2 features that depend on the Tesla AP hardware (Sentry mode, dash cam, etc)