Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car upgraded and I wish I could say it was seamless, but alas, it was not. BTW, if you are in Colorado, I honestly can say stay away from the Superior Service Center. I've had so many problems with them. To be fair, they DO take care of everything but a little QA of their own work would save everyone the hassle of repeat trips.

Anyways...Took my car in on Tuesday for the MCU2/HW3 upgrade. I was told since I scheduled it before the price increase they'd honor the price (which they did). They called me mid-day on Wednesday to tell me my car was complete. Get to the SC, pay my bill, grab my keys and head out to my car. Go to take my sunglasses off and throw them in the cubby below the LCD screen and the glasses fall off into the passenger floorboard. I look down and my cubby is missing and wires are just dangling down. I go back into the SC, ask where my cubby is and why the tech didn't put it back. Turns out it was in my floorboard. Ok, no big deal, get it snapped back into place and I take off. I get about a mile down the road and realize that my map is frozen, both AP and cruise don't work, and I have no visuals on my screen other than my avatar. Drive back, ask them what is going on. Tech plugs into car, and says "oh it looks like it skipped a lot of packages for your new computer with the latest update." So, they tell me they will fix it but it'll be a couple of hours. At this point I'm asking them (sternly, but not yelling) if they do ANY sort of checking when they actually work on cars? SC technician says it's his fault and apologies. So, I'm given another loaner and drive 15 miles back home (also the loaner they gave me, an old MS 85, was in disrepair - tire going flat, missing pieces on the inside of the door, etc). So, after two and a half hours I get a call saying that the car is "fixed". Ok, great but I open my Tesla App and see the car is now on the previous version of software, not the one they had originally put on it. I ask why they didn't try the new version. I am told "Oh it's ready, you can install it when you get home." I ask "Why won't you install it?" At this point, something seems fishy. They reply that they can if I want to leave it there for another day. At this point I think to myself I've burned two half days of work to come here for this car, I'm not going to burn another few hours to come back yet again tomorrow. So, I tell them I'll pick up the car.

I pick up the car, they tell me all is good now and that my AP will need to calibrate while I drive. Ok, no big deal. By the time I get home the car has calibrated and is ready for the 2021.4.10.1 update. I click 'Install now" and leave the car.

After about an hour I get a message saying the car is updated and I go outside and, to my surprise, I have ONE headlight on. Jump in the car, and there is no way to turn the headlight off. Power off the car, nothing. Leave it for 3 hours, still nothing. I put a request in to Tesla for mobile service and am told the earliest they can be there is six days out. Luckily, the next morning I get a message from mobile support saying they are going to re-push 2021.4.10.1 because from the logs they can see the car did not take the package that controls the headlights. So, they push the package, I click 'Install' and after about 45 minutes my car's headlights work properly and according to Tesla, all the packages installed correctly.

Sorry for the long story, but figured it was worth telling in case anyone else has weird issues.

I guess I should have added as far as the MCU and new hardware, like others have stated, it's night vs day the difference. Definitely worth the $1500 (or $2000).

Now I really want to get FSD. Just gotta hold out until it's a subscription based service (currently have EAP, so I have most of what I want already).

Reactions: Greatsave35
Got mine done yesterday. Dropped it off at 9:30am and was given a loner 2020 Model X. Picked it up at 6pm.

Really feels like a new car. Better screen, MUCH faster, browser works great, and the extra entertainment stuff will come in handy on road trips. Even had all my settings retained!

Very glad I seem to have a good service team up in Milwaukee.
Had mine done Wednesday in Milwaukee as well. 2017 MS75D. Had the same experience. Service was great and nearly all settings were retained. Couldn't be happier - it's like a new car!

#teamblue

Reactions: DBO.
for what its worth to help you, there's been several reports of one headlight - dimly, remaining on in the last year. On mine, it didn't appear to be on, but after dark and when the car was in a dark garage, could see the glow from one headlight. It remained after a couple of different updates, but from one of the last couple, its now off permanently.

Interesting detail- the cost for upgrading a MCU1 car that already has HW3 is undefined. Read their page carefully:

It says "for cars equipped with HW2/2.5". So if you already have HW3, they aren't telling you the price. If you go to "additional vehicle information" on HW3 it won't say HW2/2.5 just because that's how the car was delivered. We need someone with HW3/MCU1 to get a quote and see if they are directly charging for the HW3 upgrade as part of the MCU upgrade.

I read this to say that the cost is $2000 if you're receiving MCU2 plus AP3 and the cost is $1500 if you are only receiving MCU2; isn't that what 'for all other vehicles' means?

I read this to say that the cost is $2000 if you're receiving MCU2 plus AP3 and the cost is $1500 if you are only receiving MCU2; isn't that what 'for all other vehicles' means?
Yes. Don’t forget an extra $500 if you want an FM tuner

If you paid for FSD the HW3 computer should be free. You can certainly uograde for free before upgrading the MCU.

I have a Tesla mobile service yesterday for headlights replacement and he told me that the cost to upgrade MCU2 will increase in the future. Not sure there is any truth to it.
I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't eventually happen. The reason is that I believe Tesla made the drastic price drop (40%) on the MCU2 upgrade was in order to have an adequate supply of MCU1 in which they could turn around and refurbish for the eMMC upgrade as they no longer manufactured them. With the NHTSA breathing down their throat to do a formal recall they didn't have many options.

Not having enough MCU1's would mean a lengthy turn around time to have one available for a recalled car. For each completed recalled car they would get an MCU1 which they could refurbish. Once they have enough in the rotation they would not need anymore donor MCU1's therefore no need for the fire sale on MCU2's.

I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't eventually happen. The reason is that I believe Tesla made the drastic price drop (40%) on the MCU2 upgrade was in order to have an adequate supply of MCU1 in which they could turn around and refurbish for the eMMC upgrade as they no longer manufactured them. With the NHTSA breathing down their throat to do a formal recall they didn't have many options.

Not having enough MCU1's would mean a lengthy turn around time to have one available for a recalled car. For each completed recalled car they would get an MCU1 which they could refurbish. Once they have enough in the rotation they would not need anymore donor MCU1's therefore no need for the fire sale on MCU2's.
Yes, but they don’t use refurbished MCU1s for the eMMC upgrade - they just take out your MCU1, replace the daughterboard, and put the MCU back in

Yes, but they don’t use refurbished MCU1s for the eMMC upgrade - they just take out your MCU1, replace the daughterboard, and put the MCU back in
Today they might not be using refurbished MCU1's for the eMMC upgrade, but turn around would be faster, but at least 30% if they didn't open the specific owner's MCU1 to replace the daughterboard. @morepower has an interesting insight to what could be happening soon. Tesla could speed up the swap, but performing a daughterboard swap to a spare MCU1 between customer car teardowns.

Yes, but they don’t use refurbished MCU1s for the eMMC upgrade - they just take out your MCU1, replace the daughterboard, and put the MCU back The daughter board they are replacing is not new. It is a refurbished one from
But where do they get the daughterboard that they are refurbishing from 8GB to 64GB? Are they not from MCU1's as the daughterboard and MCU are no longer being manufactured. You wouldn't want them to take your daughterboard out, send to factory for refurbishment and put back in your car. Too much time so they need an adequate supply for the recall rotation.

We don't know where the "extra" daughterboards were supplied from. Unlikely they were from complete MCU1's. Separately, last summer Tesla suddenly had a significant batch of 64 GB motherboards. MCU1s were still a hot item and many people were in for the MCU1 replacement, since they daughterboard only swaps were too new to be known to be available. But there was still not enough MCU1s. My point is they would not have robbed a large number of MCU1 to get just the daughterboard, to upgrade the 8 to 64 GB chip and then not put them back in the MCU1s at the time.

Speculation was that although nVidia had stopped producing the daughterboard years ago, that Tesla got permission and had found a company to make them. That "significant batch" were used up quickly by people that were willing to pay for the board swap and fix their cars. So, we do think that Tesla can get their hands on more daughterboards, but no one but Tesla knows for sure.

Here's the rub, it takes twice as long or longer on a S or X to remove the MCU1, tear it down, swap the board(s), put it back together and back in the car than swapping a MCU1 for refurbished MCU1. The labor is by a clock, twice as long, and requires one to be more careful with the dedicate effort to disassemble and reassemble a MCU.

Just got my MCU2 upgrade on my ancient horse-driven 2013 P+. Love the new retina-display crispness of the instrument cluster and its lightening quick like our 2018 X. Worth the $$ and now I can wait until Tesla decides to manufacture a SUNROOF again in their S, the only reason I haven't ordered Plaid...
I just finished a nice evening drive picking up kids from sports with the sunroof open. It’s keeping me in this car longer than I otherwise might.

Mcu2 upgrade done! Reminds me when i switched from iphone 3g screen to galaxy oled screen ! Wayyyyy better display !
Its a very expensive upgrade just to get netflix/youtube additional functionality but overall i think its good value, even on ap1 car, due to the ridiculous emmc issues, faster mapping and even the basic version sound system seems better sounding. and with lifetime free premium connectivity on these older cars, now have much faster 4g/LTE for Spotify and a web browser which actually works.
Getting youtube premium account setup was a bit of a faff though.
Overall, £1400 well spent and adds value and peace of mind (no longer stressed when the next system crash will ahppen) to the car in my opinion.

Mcu2 upgrade done! Reminds me when i switched from iphone 3g screen to galaxy oled screen ! Wayyyyy better display !
Its a very expensive upgrade just to get netflix/youtube additional functionality but overall i think its good value, even on ap1 car, due to the ridiculous emmc issues, faster mapping and even the basic version sound system seems better sounding. and with lifetime free premium connectivity on these older cars, now have much faster 4g/LTE for Spotify and a web browser which actually works.
Getting youtube premium account setup was a bit of a faff though.
Overall, £1400 well spent and adds value and peace of mind (no longer stressed when the next system crash will ahppen) to the car in my opinion.
Would you mind saying or linking to how you got the YouTube premium to work? I haven't figured it out yet.

not sure what i did exactly as i tried many things. But here are basically the steps which may or may not work initially depending on your gmail settings:
I created a free game account on RuneScape website on my phone (account creation using google account).
Opened mcu2 web browser and logged into the game website using google account
Opened youtube app on mcu2 and logged in using same google account.

As far as i understand it , that should be enough, but for me that didnt work as i have all extra security features turned on on my gmail account.

So i ended up having to remove 2FA (MFA) and also enabling 'less secure apps' (cant remeber the actual setting name, but something to that tune) on google account security settings page on my phone browser.

Must admit it was a total faff as even after trying multiple times, logging in and out of the game website and the youtube app on mcu2 it finally worked, i then re enabled the security features in my gmail account settings.

Hopefully that may help.

Would you mind saying or linking to how you got the YouTube premium to work? I haven't figured it out yet.