Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I’ll do the MCU2 upgrade then when I do the HW3. We keep cars a long time so it’ll make the car nicer to use. Our cars are usually old enough to vote when we finally get rid of them. Thank you for all the time and energy you put into the reply, explaining everything. If you lived a little closer I’d buy you a beer.
If you are keeping the car, MCU2 is worth it. Dramatic improvement. Annoying that you need it to make the car keep working like it did when we bought it, but...

Remember, MCU2 is $2000 with HW2, $1500 with HW3. Make sure if you are getting HW3 due to buying FSD that they only charge you $1500. If they push back because the car doesn't have HW3 when you schedule the MCU upgrade, just ask for the HW3 update one day, and tell them you'll come back tomorrow for MCU2 for $1500. They'll see they will have to tear apart the car twice if they do this...

If you lived a little closer I’d buy you a beer.
It's the internet. I'm probably a dog. Just pay it forward!

Reactions: croman
The subscription is live now the app. It’s $199/mo.
Yes, more details here... Tesla launches its Full Self-Driving subscription package for $199 per month

Last week, Tesla has started pushing its FSD Beta v9 software update to its early access program and now the company is also releasing its Full Self-Driving subscription service. Today, the automaker pushed a software update to its mobile app and while the release notes were only related to the virtual power plant that we reported on earlier today, it also quietly included a new “subscription” option to Tesla’s “upgrade tab” in the app:

Screen-Shot-2021-07-16-at-11.21.31-PM.jpg

Tesla described the new product in a message sent to owners titled “Introducing Full Self-Driving capability Subscription”:

Full Self-Driving capability is now available as a monthly subscription.
Upgrade your Model 3, VIN ending in ******, for $199 a month (excluding taxes) to experience features like Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Auto Park, Summon and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.
For those who own a vehicle without the FSD computer (HW3.0), they can still order the monthly subscription, but they are going to have to pay $1,500 for the computer upgrade, which is included in the $10,000 price of a direct purchase. Finally, Tesla is also selling the package for $99 per month for those who already purchased the now-defunct Enhanced Autopilot package, which already included some of the features in the FSD package. The subscription can be canceled at any time through the mobile app.

Basic Autopilot to FSD capability$199.00 per month
Enhanced Autopilot to FSD capability$99.00 per month

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
My apologies if this has already been discussed, can the MCU2 upgrade be performed by the mobile service tech without taking the car to a SC?

Thanks in advance.
@tonglaji, said no.

I think, yes and no. To say yes is to presume that every mobile tech working out of every SC in the world/U.S. has done it more than once and can do it under average or less than those circumstances. Even after 16+ months of MCU2 upgrades being available, I believe its accurate to say not all can/have done it.

I have questions for you. (You don't have to answer.) Why would you do that? Why would you want a Mobile Tech to do it? Why would you choose to put that kind of pressure on one person working at your home/office to get it done when you don't need to?
The benefits to you and the best success for your car at the SC is the better choice. The best choice for success may not be easiest for you. Assuming best of weather, best of covered work location, unexpected need for additional equipment or fellow technician expertise still might not put mobile tech's working location on equal ground with SC.

At the SC any single tech has the option to reach out/over to a fellow tech to assist with another set of hands/eyes and help with any problem quickly. The Mobile Tech would need to call and chat and wait for an answer (most likely). After the last 16+ months of MCU2 installations, I venture to say most/every SC has had the experience to deal with nearly all the weird/difficult upgrades that occur. And the combined experience and expertise available far exceeds what one mobile tech is likely to know. My vote is maybe a mobile tech can do it, but I would take my car to the SC. Least amount of downtime and better chance overall of success.

If you are going to say the SC is too far for you to take yours; what about the Mobile Tech having to drive the same distance the day of or before to reach you to work on yours. Do you want a Mobile Tech that drove half a day (average) to your house to begin working and have only a few remaining hours to work on your? If they don't finish, close it up and come back (hopefully) the next day vice just lock the doors to the SC and begin early the next morning?

…Why would you choose to put that kind of pressure on one person working at your home/office to get it done when you don't need to?

If you are going to say the SC is too far for you to take yours; what about the Mobile Tech having to drive the same distance the day of or before to reach you to work on yours. Do you want a Mobile Tech that drove half a day (average) to your house to begin working and have only a few remaining hours to work…
I figure that if a mobile tech is assigned to it, the mobile tech knows what they are doing. Also, they have customers all over and that they assign you a certain day in order to optimize their driving.

Last edited:
I think, yes and no. To say yes is to presume that every mobile tech working out of every SC in the world/U.S. has done it more than once and can do it under average or less than those circumstances. Even after 16+ months of MCU2 upgrades being available, I believe its accurate to say not all can/have done it.

I have questions for you. (You don't have to answer.) Why would you do that? Why would you want a Mobile Tech to do it? Why would you choose to put that kind of pressure on one person working at your home/office to get it done when you don't need to?
The benefits to you and the best success for your car at the SC is the better choice. The best choice for success may not be easiest for you. Assuming best of weather, best of covered work location, unexpected need for additional equipment or fellow technician expertise still might not put mobile tech's working location on equal ground with SC.

At the SC any single tech has the option to reach out/over to a fellow tech to assist with another set of hands/eyes and help with any problem quickly. The Mobile Tech would need to call and chat and wait for an answer (most likely). After the last 16+ months of MCU2 installations, I venture to say most/every SC has had the experience to deal with nearly all the weird/difficult upgrades that occur. And the combined experience and expertise available far exceeds what one mobile tech is likely to know. My vote is maybe a mobile tech can do it, but I would take my car to the SC. Least amount of downtime and better chance overall of success.

If you are going to say the SC is too far for you to take yours; what about the Mobile Tech having to drive the same distance the day of or before to reach you to work on yours. Do you want a Mobile Tech that drove half a day (average) to your house to begin working and have only a few remaining hours to work on your? If they don't finish, close it up and come back (hopefully) the next day vice just lock the doors to the SC and begin early the next morning?

@Akikki - Appreciate your thoughtful response. My question was mostly out of curiosity and knowingly the available options for this particular work. Going to my nearest SC is absolutely doable for me and looks like a better option as you have spelled out in detail. Yesterday for the first time, after parking and opening the door to exit, the IC suddenly went all white and the MCU went dark (looked like a crash on both computers). Both came back up after a minute or two.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Akikiki
If you are keeping the car, MCU2 is worth it. Dramatic improvement. Annoying that you need it to make the car keep working like it did when we bought it, but...

Remember, MCU2 is $2000 with HW2, $1500 with HW3. Make sure if you are getting HW3 due to buying FSD that they only charge you $1500. If they push back because the car doesn't have HW3 when you schedule the MCU upgrade, just ask for the HW3 update one day, and tell them you'll come back tomorrow for MCU2 for $1500. They'll see they will have to tear apart the car twice if they do this...

It's the internet. I'm probably a dog. Just pay it forward!
I set up a service appt to what I worded as "Upgrade to MCU2 and HW3". This seemed to confuse the service center people. Their response was: "It's $2000 for MCU2, do you want that?"
They seemed to be under the impression that HW3 isn't really 'a thing they do'?
Let's say I want to upgrade my 2017 MS 75D to the very latest that I can, (using only standard installed upgrade packages available) do I tell service I want both MCU2 *and* HW3 or is my HW2 not upgradable?? FYI - if it matters, I have AP2, not AP2.5.
This nomenclature is getting a little out of hand for me :)

Let's say I want to upgrade my 2017 MS 75D to the very latest that I can, (using only standard installed upgrade packages available) do I tell service I want both MCU2 *and* HW3 or is my HW2 not upgradable?? FYI - if it matters, I have AP2, not AP2.5.
When they upgrade the MCU, they also automatically upgrade the autopilot HW (AP2 or AP2.5) to HW3, even if you don't have FSD. It's normally $2000, but if you had purchased FSD earlier and had upgraded to HW3 already, then it's $1500

Reactions: Akikiki
How long does this upgrade typically take?
One full day. Last week Tesla Sterling, VA upgraded my AP1 to MCU2 and replaced a windshield in one full day. The MCU2 upgrade includes new screens (both dash and map screens). New screens are noticeably higher resolution and contrast even to my old eyes. Service almost spilled over into second day, but the techs stayed an extra couple hours to finish it before the weekend. AMAZING SERVICE! Already got my $1500 worth of entertainment out of a car full of nieces and nephews singing CAR-e-oke and drum machine all weekend.

Reactions: WhiteWi and Akikiki
One full day. Last week Tesla Sterling, VA upgraded my AP1 to MCU2 and replaced a windshield in one full day. The MCU2 upgrade includes new screens (both dash and map screens). New screens are noticeably higher resolution and contrast even to my old eyes. Service almost spilled over into second day, but the techs stayed an extra couple hours to finish it before the weekend. AMAZING SERVICE! Already got my $1500 worth of entertainment out of a car full of nieces and nephews singing CAR-e-oke and drum machine all weekend.
Well done on the MCU2 upgrade... what is the current price for a windshield replacement?

I had MCU 2 service/placement yesterday. It took 2 days but they indicated they were slightly behind due to staffing (COVID crazy in JAX right now). Things I've noticed thus far:

1. Great screen and resolution. I had a large bubble on the center stack prior. Resolution is very clear. Very noticeable improvement
2. LTE upgrade was included and data certainly loads faster.
3. The slacker songs intermittently stop at 3/4 complete
4. Homelink garage doors had to be reprogrammed
5. I always miss my car when it's gone, even for a short while.
6. I am under warranty and they offered to Uber me to Enterprise and pay for a rental car. They were out of loaners. I chose to Uber home.
7. I generally have a really good experience at the Jax service center. I've had to visit several times for various recalls and I've never had a bag experience thus far

14' P85D
Total cost after tax $1612.xx or so.

I had MCU 2 service/placement yesterday. It took 2 days but they indicated they were slightly behind due to staffing (COVID crazy in JAX right now). Things I've noticed thus far:

1. Great screen and resolution. I had a large bubble on the center stack prior. Resolution is very clear. Very noticeable improvement
2. LTE upgrade was included and data certainly loads faster.
3. The slacker songs intermittently stop at 3/4 complete
4. Homelink garage doors had to be reprogrammed
5. I always miss my car when it's gone, even for a short while.
6. I am under warranty and they offered to Uber me to Enterprise and pay for a rental car. They were out of loaners. I chose to Uber home.
7. I generally have a really good experience at the Jax service center. I've had to visit several times for various recalls and I've never had a bag experience thus far

14' P85D
Total cost after tax $1612.xx or so.

Hi from another Jax member. I've always had a pretty good experience with them as well. I had an appt on Aug 5th to do my MCU2 upgrade, but decided to wait and finish a few other things on my car. Glad to know it worked out for you.

Reactions: J.J.
I have a 2015 P90D with AP1. I pulled the trigger on the MCU 2 upgrade after the bubbling gauge and center screens started driving me crazy. The gauge screen was so bad the battery, clock, etc on the bottom edge weren't visible at all. On top of a door handle, charge port door and two tail lights I'm at $2800 including tax, 5 days of downtime + a newer (and way nicer) MS 90D loaner car. Can't complain for a car with over 110k miles. My Audi had 10x that in repairs before it hit 70k...

Reactions: FlatSix911