Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To rotate or not to rotate tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know how to rotate ones own Model S tires with only one jack? You can't fit a jack stand in if the jack is there holding up the car.

For years, I have only rotated when I do my seasonal summer/winter tire swap. I note where they came off, and in the spring/fall, put them back on in the new rotation pattern. Maybe I'm not rotating them enough with the miles I drive, but I've never had any problems with uneven wear and such.

If I had rotated mid season I could have eked out another month or so of use. Otherwise I have this on rears:
d4d2d40d2ee0f324a9eacbdf7a5a2c1f.jpg

They are done. Why the centre wear? I am running the recommended tire pressure. I have now gone through 2 sets of summer tires and one set of winter tires in 100,000 km (60,000 miles) over not quite 3 years. I should also qualify that traction control and stability control are well used on my car. ;)

Last edited:
They are done. Why the centre wear? I am running the recommended tire pressure. I have now gone through 2 sets of summer tires and one set of winter tires in 100,000 km (60,000 miles) over not quite 3 years. I should also qualify that traction control and stability control are well used on my car. ;)

That is bizarre. It must have something to do with the 21's you run. My car is almost exactly the same age and I just turned over 61,000 miles this week. My 19" Nokian R2s are still in excellent shape, and will be going on the car for their third winter shortly. I did replace the OEM 19" Goodyears, but it was because they developed very loud road noise... but they still had plenty of tread and perfectly even wear when they came off. My replacement Michelin MXM4s still look like new.

If I had rotated mid season I could have eked out another month or so of use. Otherwise I have this on rears:They are done. Why the centre wear?
I am running the recommended tire pressure. I have now gone through 2 sets of summer tires and one set of winter tires in 100,000 km (60,000 miles) over not quite 3 years.
I should also qualify that traction control and stability control are well used on my car. ;)

The evidence of heavy wear in the center of the tire can indicate over-inflation.
The heavy wear on the inside of the tire can indicate out of spec camber and toe alignment settings.
As always, proper inflation, rotation and alignment on regular basis can help avoid issues ... YMMV.

If I had rotated mid season I could have eked out another month or so of use. Otherwise I have this on rears:They are done. Why the centre wear? I am running the recommended tire pressure. I have now gone through 2 sets of summer tires and one set of winter tires in 100,000 km (60,000 miles) over not quite 3 years. I should also qualify that traction control and stability control are well used on my car. ;)

1. How many rocket launches do you do?

2. Is your pressure gauge accurate (or is it just a $20 variety)?

3. How much high speed driving do you do (80 mph +)

It's very unusual for radial tires to wear in the centre due to inflation unless the tires have a small crown radius (which those don't).

1. How many rocket launches do you do?

2. Is your pressure gauge accurate (or is it just a $20 variety)?

3. How much high speed driving do you do (80 mph +)

It's very unusual for radial tires to wear in the centre due to inflation unless the tires have a small crown radius (which those don't).

1. Often. Although not as much as I used to. Tire cost has me driving more conservatively.
2. Use my high quality bicycle pump that has a pressure gauge dial.
3. Lots of highway driving at between 70-80 mph.

1. Often. Although not as much as I used to. Tire cost has me driving more conservatively.
2. Use my high quality bicycle pump that has a pressure gauge dial.
3. Lots of highway driving at between 70-80 mph.

I'd suggest getting a quality automotive gauge as bicycle pumps tend to emphasize pressures 90 psi and over (at least the ones I've used). Maybe it will show the same and maybe it won't, but it's what I do.