Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Those That Have Seen Model 3 in Person - Better Looking than the S?

Model 3 Better Looking Than the S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lexus-LF-LC-Concept-front-grill.jpg
expensive CHEESEGRATER

• Funny
Reactions: Enginerd and EinSV
We saw Jon and Franz's red Model 3s in person during Monterey Car week. In the market at some point in near future to replace our second car so was very interested to see in person. Liked it a lot actually, more than I anticipated.

I'll start off by saying I Love our MS. Really love it. There are definitely compromises with cargo space with the 3, and knew that already. I really do like the exterior. I thought I would be bothered by the really minimal dash and the single screen. Didn't get to sit in one yet or test drive but seeing it left me still very interested. This would be a second car and more for everyday around town driving and I could see being very happy with it.

We're kind of torn which way to go on our second vehicle. We put a deposit down on a Model 3 today and we'll see what we'll do when our number comes up. Hopefully one will be available to test drive before then. Thinking pearl white with the 19-inch wheels, long range with PUP in this first release. Also considering the AWD like our MS but don't know about the wait.

One thing we both agree on is that the second car will be a Tesla.

Reactions: chronopc
I am sorry but the Model S is a much better looking car than the Model 3. The Model 3 looks pretty good from the side and back but the front is pretty bad. There is no reason why a Tesla vehicle should have a duck-bill front.

Andrew
Honestly I'm not sure what Tesla's bizarre fascination is with the "just got into an accident" look.

Model S with nosecone had a beautiful shape. I see them on the road and they stand out a ton because the whole shape flows seamlessly from the underside of the car all the way to the back. It looks slick, sleek, slippery, and aerodynamic.

Then they had to smash in and flatten the front. The stache at least hides the bumper damage a bit, but it's out in the open on the 3.

I just don't get it. Their cars are designed and built to be aerodynamic and fluid-looking. Model S nosecone looks like it cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter. All Teslas since then look like they're trying to plow snow. The bizarre lines are disruptive and jarring. They don't mesh at all with the rest of the car's design language. Where else do you see lines that abruptly appear and disappear out of nowhere? Where else do you see flat, impeding shapes when it comes to aerodynamics?

I get it that they want their cars to stand out and are trying to redefine and blah blah blah, but why is Elon and co. so hung up on the smushed duck bill design? I would have loved to see a more sexy and functional design element.

This is the one thing about Teslas that has me scratching my head. It's not even just the 3, it's all the cars.

Honestly I'm not sure what Tesla's bizarre fascination is with the "just got into an accident" look.

Model S with nosecone had a beautiful shape. I see them on the road and they stand out a ton because the whole shape flows seamlessly from the underside of the car all the way to the back. It looks slick, sleek, slippery, and aerodynamic.

Then they had to smash in and flatten the front. The stache at least hides the bumper damage a bit, but it's out in the open on the 3.

I just don't get it. Their cars are designed and built to be aerodynamic and fluid-looking. Model S nosecone looks like it cuts through the air like a hot knife through butter. All Teslas since then look like they're trying to plow snow. The bizarre lines are disruptive and jarring. They don't mesh at all with the rest of the car's design language. Where else do you see lines that abruptly appear and disappear out of nowhere? Where else do you see flat, impeding shapes when it comes to aerodynamics?

I get it that they want their cars to stand out and are trying to redefine and blah blah blah, but why is Elon and co. so hung up on the smushed duck bill design? I would have loved to see a more sexy and functional design element.

This is the one thing about Teslas that has me scratching my head. It's not even just the 3, it's all the cars.

These Are The 10 Most Aerodynamic Cars On The Market

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Reading comprehension. I said the greenhouse looks bigger relatively. Model X is an SUV; you'd expect it to have a tall roof and a big greenhouse. Model 3 is a sedan, yet its greenhouse is proportionately bigger when compared to Model X., when using the hood as a reference point.
I really have no idea what you are basing your opinion on. Have you seen the car in real life? I have and the greenhouse isn't that big compared to the Model S. It also doesn't look that big in the picture below compared to a BMW 3-series.

Honestly your comment makes you sound pretty snobby. Seems like you don't like the look of the Model 3 because it doesn't match with what you think it should look like. So because you expect the Model X to have a big greenhouse it's okay for it to have a big greenhouse. But since the Model 3 is a sedan, it has to look like what other sedans look like?
bmw-3-vs-model-3-specs.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I thought the whole point of this thread was to discuss impressions of people who have actually seen the Model 3 in person.

Please only vote if you've seen the 3 in person, and feel free to post the details for why below.

We have plenty of other threads discussing impressions from photos and debating whether the photos are distorted or not.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: DR61

ROTFLOL at some of your descriptions. Clearly not your design favorites. Since airflow isn't needed to cool an engine, there really is no need for a front grill look. With the front "solid" more or less, I would think it would push, or "plow" as you referred to the front design, the air to the sides and up and be more aerodynamic. The newer nosecone looks have really grown on me, like the minimal interior, and they're not flat like a brick wall. I'd say the new fronts are less "classic car" looking. Kind of goes hand in hand with a more simplified, miminal look and I think still classically sleek.

Current Model S is best looking. Just in my opinion, it looks even better than the pre-refresh.

It looks sharp and gives you feeling that it can intimidate any cars out there. (And it does in 0-60mph)

The Model S' front headlight looks like a supermodel eyes (especially with outline) and the back looks it is from future.

Before I got to know Tesla, I used to like Lexus ES350 or GS, or BMW 6 Coupe design but until I saw Model S, I didn't look back.

Oh, the third brake band gives more sporty like BMW 6 series or Audi A7. The Model 3 doesn't get the entire band like S does.

Don't get me wrong, the Model 3 is elegant and futuristics too, but Model S has got the golden proportion that it seems the design looks perfect in my eyes.

ROTFLOL at some of your descriptions. Clearly not your design favorites. Since airflow isn't needed to cool an engine, there really is no need for a front grill look. With the front "solid" more or less, I would think it would push, or "plow" as you referred to the front design, the air to the sides and up and be more aerodynamic. The newer nosecone looks have really grown on me, like the minimal interior, and they're not flat like a brick wall. I'd say the new fronts are less "classic car" looking. Kind of goes hand in hand with a more simplified, miminal look and I think still classically sleek.
I don't dislike the designs, but I do think they're out of place when looking at the rest of the car.

I have also heard the "push air to the sides" theory, and it's not true. The most aerodynamic shape is a teardrop with a rounded front. Tesla has not found a more aerodynamic shape than hundreds of years of fluid dynamics research has. The idea behind aerodynamics is you want to divert and redirect air as little as possible. A flat face creates loads of turbulence on the sides. So while it may be diverting air to the sides of the car, you just created pockets of turbulence, resulting in drag, whereas with a round shape, there are no sharp corners for air to launch off and immediately get sucked back in due to pressure changes.

In fact, many people subscribe to the theory that the new Model S is less aerodynamic than the original design because Tesla didn't mention that the Cd improved, which I feel like they would have if it went down. It probably went up, and physics would agree, but it probably didn't change much so it can still be rounded to .24.

• Disagree
I really have no idea what you are basing your opinion on. Have you seen the car in real life? I have and the greenhouse isn't that big compared to the Model S. It also doesn't look that big in the picture below compared to a BMW 3-series.

Honestly your comment makes you sound pretty snobby. Seems like you don't like the look of the Model 3 because it doesn't match with what you think it should look like. So because you expect the Model X to have a big greenhouse it's okay for it to have a big greenhouse. But since the Model 3 is a sedan, it has to look like what other sedans look like?
bmw-3-vs-model-3-specs.jpg
lmao I'm basing my opinion on the picture showing the two cars side by side that everybody else in this thread is commenting on. If you measure from the ground to the hood, then divide that by the distance between the hood and the top of the glass, that number would be smaller on the Model 3. At least that's how it looks in that picture. I think it's reasonable to use that as a comparison point since they're both in the same shot.

And my other point is that tall roofs aren't sexy. There's a reason people other than myself have commented that Model 3 looks "goofy" in that pic. It's too tall! Sedans can be sexy and SUVs can be sexy, but in different ways. Traditional notions of "sex" are low, sleek, long body styles. Just look at literally any sports car in existence. Look at Model S. Model 3 has proportions closer to Model X than Model S, namely being narrow, long, and tall (proportionately). Look at S3X side views and you'll see that Model 3 looks like a mini X more than a Model S.

Model 3 comes across to me as a tiny SUV without the functionality of an SUV because it's tiny, but also without the sexiness of smaller cars because it's proportioned like a tiny SUV.

In case you haven't guessed, I don't like the way SUVs look! But that is something purely subjective, so I can see people liking the Model 3's design more than the S if they're more inclined toward SUV type shaping. I'd be curious to see if there are any people who prefer the way the X looks to the S.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911 and DR61