Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Told I don’t have FSD??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I purchased my Model 3 in December of 2018. At the time, I believe I paid $5000 for full self driving (not sure what it was called then, but it has full self driving, smart summon, auto park, etc). I recently scheduled service to see if I could do the hw3 upgrade. When tesla called, they said that I only had enhanced autopilot.
I’m confused at this point because, at the time of purchase, I paid for what I thought was the top of the line fsd package.

Am I missing something here? Anyone else have the same problem?

Hello all. I purchased my Model 3 in December of 2018. At the time, I believe I paid $5000 for full self driving (not sure what it was called then, but it has full self driving, smart summon, auto park, etc). I recently scheduled service to see if I could do the hw3 upgrade. When tesla called, they said that I only had enhanced autopilot.
I’m confused at this point because, at the time of purchase, I paid for what I thought was the top of the line fsd package.

For a December 2018 purchase, it would've been $5000 for EAP (Enhanced Autopilot). FSD would've cost an additional $3000 before delivery or $4000 after delivery.

Since you said you paid $5000, it sounds like you only purchased EAP.

For a December 2018 purchase, it would've been $5000 for EAP (Enhanced Autopilot). FSD would've cost an additional $3000 before delivery or $4000 after delivery.

Since you said you paid $5000, it sounds like you only purchased EAP.

Thank you for your quick response. Can you tell me what the FSD option would have added back in dec ‘18? Had I spent the additional $3k, what would it have added? I ask because it seems that I already have everything ?

Thank you for your quick response. Can you tell me what the FSD option would have added back in dec ‘18? Had I spent the additional $3k, what would it have added? I ask because it seems that I already have everything ?
At the time, it wouldn't have added anything other than the promise of full self driving functionality sometime in the future.

Now, purchasing FSD allows you to have your HW2.5 car upgraded to have the FSD computer.

Currently, about the only thing FSD with AP3 hardware provides is the new visualizations (traffic lights, trash cans, stop signs, etc.) which were added in the past 2 months.

In Dec 2018? Literally nothing.

Today? Literally nothing except the free HW3/FSD computer upgrade, which itself adds nothing right now other than additional on-screen visualizations.

Someday? More driving automation/driver aid features like reacting to stoplights and stop signs, and in-city drive on nav type features.

Reactions: timp123 and brkaus
There are numerous people reporting less lane ping pong after getting their HW3 upgrade. Now I fully hope that Tesla programs the ping pong back out of HW 2.5 since they programmed it in back on 2019.40 but at the moment it’s already starting to sound like HW3 is providing a better standard autopilot experience than HW2.5.

There are numerous people reporting less lane ping pong after getting their HW3 upgrade. Now I fully hope that Tesla programs the ping pong back out of HW 2.5 since they programmed it in back on 2019.40 but at the moment it’s already starting to sound like HW3 is providing a better standard autopilot experience than HW2.5.

There's also plenty of 2.5 owners who aren't experiencing the ping ponging in the first place (I'm one of em)- and HW3 owners who haven't reported any differences at all (outside of the visualization changes).... (and I suspect some who have said things like "I think X might be a little better" or "Y is maybe slightly quicker" might have some placebo effect going on too...not really enough data...don't recall Greentheonly (who has actual access to what the AP computer sees) reporting any objective difference in performance though but I might've missed it)

I bought my car in December 2018 as well. You bought Enhanced Auto Pilot (which was $5k at the time).

There's also plenty of 2.5 owners who aren't experiencing the ping ponging in the first place ..... ...might have some placebo effect going on too...not really enough data...
I'm one of the ones who had the extreme "ping-ponging" going one. And after having the HW3 computer install, it's gone away completely - I guarantee this isn't a placebo thing, it's a night and day difference. The one wild card in this is that there's a camera recalibration that occurs after the HW3 install, this may play a role. I also see significant improvement in the videos captured by the teslacam cameras.

I'm one of the ones who had the extreme "ping-ponging" going one. And after having the HW3 computer install, it's gone away completely - I guarantee this isn't a placebo thing, it's a night and day difference. The one wild card in this is that there's a camera recalibration that occurs after the HW3 install, this may play a role. I also see significant improvement in the videos captured by the teslacam cameras.

Was mainly talking placebo-wise about the folks who I've seen saying the "think" one thing or another is better or faster or what have you.

You on the other hand appear to have a very noticeable difference... but the fact lots of 2.5 folks (myself included) don't even have the ping ponging in current firmware in the first place suggests it's not necessarily HW3 that "fixes" it... could've been the re-calibration you mention... could've also been the reloading of the firmware they do when they swap out the driving computer.

Reactions: sduck
Dec 2018 purchase here, yep you bought EAP.

I bought FSD during the sale because I wanted the FSD computer, if for no other reason than it helps with resale should I want to sell. Plus I felt EAP would be in a sort of development limbo from then on since it is no longer available.

Computer gets upgraded Monday so I’m interested to see if I notice a difference.