Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too dumb for dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of conversations about the caps.

I did indeed try reformatting the drive and starting with the correct caps (I'd say 95% of my attempts over the past year were TeslaCam, not sure why i had it TESLACAM when I took the screenshot), and I have indeed "rebooted" the car / screen before inserting the drive. Many, many times.

The latest USB I purchased was directly recommended on these forums as one that people have used with success, so I highly doubt it was a fundamental problem with the USB I purchased - though its possible I bought the wrong one / it was broken somehow.

The error message said something along the lines of improper formatting and to put in a drive with the correct format, I don't recall the exact verbage.

I have not tried doing it on Mac, since I don't own one. It certainly would have been a top contender for me to try next, I'm sure one of my friends / coworkers would have been willing to help.

However, The PureTesla pre-formatted one worked like a charm! I have to admit I was skeptical, and I'm still very annoyed I had to resort to that and couldn't do it myself, and it's $50 more dollars than I should have had to spend (since I had already purchased some that SHOULD have worked), but in the end it is what it is and now I can just forget about it. So, thanks Dirty for the recommendation, and I hope you made a dollar or two off the referral.

The tech in me would grab that PureTesla USB stick and plug it into a Windows or Linux box to examine the file system / partition structure to see what's different about it. Also might be worth imaging it to another USB stick using DD or something similar to see if it would work.

Lots of conversations about the caps.

I did indeed try reformatting the drive and starting with the correct caps (I'd say 95% of my attempts over the past year were TeslaCam, not sure why i had it TESLACAM when I took the screenshot), and I have indeed "rebooted" the car / screen before inserting the drive. Many, many times.

The latest USB I purchased was directly recommended on these forums as one that people have used with success, so I highly doubt it was a fundamental problem with the USB I purchased - though its possible I bought the wrong one / it was broken somehow.

The error message said something along the lines of improper formatting and to put in a drive with the correct format, I don't recall the exact verbage.

I have not tried doing it on Mac, since I don't own one. It certainly would have been a top contender for me to try next, I'm sure one of my friends / coworkers would have been willing to help.

However, The PureTesla pre-formatted one worked like a charm! I have to admit I was skeptical, and I'm still very annoyed I had to resort to that and couldn't do it myself, and it's $50 more dollars than I should have had to spend (since I had already purchased some that SHOULD have worked), but in the end it is what it is and now I can just forget about it. So, thanks Dirty for the recommendation, and I hope you made a dollar or two off the referral.

One thing I don’t think you mentioned was what exact drives you were using. There are lots of drives that could be considered USB drives. We all assume usb thumb drive or a USB hard drive. I think the type is crucial. Ssd if going with a hard drive and usb 3 preferred. It could be the drives you were using maybe didn’t have the right hardware so the Tesla system didn’t recognize them? If you did mention the exact drives I must have missed it and I apologize in advance. I didn’t see them mentioned in a quick scroll on my phone.

One thing I don’t think you mentioned was what exact drives you were using. There are lots of drives that could be considered USB drives. We all assume usb thumb drive or a USB hard drive. I think the type is crucial. Ssd if going with a hard drive and usb 3 preferred. It could be the drives you were using maybe didn’t have the right hardware so the Tesla system didn’t recognize them? If you did mention the exact drives I must have missed it and I apologize in advance. I didn’t see them mentioned in a quick scroll on my phone.

FWIW the ports in the car are USB 2, so there's no value to USB3 on that end... (I suppose if you mass up a TON of video you all want to transfer to a computer there'd be value in it though)

It would have been an interesting exercise to see if a Mac or a Linux computer would have formatted your drive correctly to work for TeslaCam. However, you've found a working solution now, so that's all that matters.