Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Fat for Tesla? (Model X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read this thread before it blew up. This is fun! Let's see how much hate I can get (please don't hurt me).

BMI is a rule of thumb. There are exceptions to every rule. However the majority of the time it's been shown again and again that BMI > 30 is unhealthy, because that's obese.

I know this forum is full of 5% body fat body building dudes with full heads of hair and more models on their arms than Donald Trump, but c'mon folks. If you're overweight and fine with that, good on you. I wish you well.

Myself? I like to keep my BMI < 25, thank you very much (I'm no body builder).

@jsollender I think the posters are responding negatively to your attitude, not the content of what you're trying to say. You're extremely accusatory. You don't know the person in question, you're not his doctor, and you can't possibly diagnose him with the information given here. Yes, he may have a health concern. You have no idea what that concern is and your assertions that it can be rectified with "lifestyle changes" is baseless. Others have already posted a video for you to watch. Please watch it again.

We're extremely complex machines. You think such an extremely complex machine doesn't know how to discard unneeded energy and instead chooses to slowly kill itself by storing it? Even if the weight of the person is outside the norm, you have no idea what's causing it. His doctor might. You're not him.

New England Journal of Medicine December 2010:
Body-Mass Index and Mortality among 1.46 Million White Adults NEJM

"CONCLUSIONS
In white adults, overweight and obesity (and possibly underweight) are associated with increased all-cause mortality.
All-cause mortality is generally lowest with a BMI of 20.0 to 24.9." NOT junk science.

Great chart - very clear conclusions.

upload_2016-8-4_7-31-39.png

Great chart - very clear conclusions.
Notice the male disadvantage ? That would be our unfortunate tendency to store fat in the belly instead of butt and thighs. Sigh
My BMI is 22 and I still have to lose some weight because I was shortchanged an X chromosome.

The underlying truth of the BMI is that it is distinctly unusual to not have excess abdominal fat if the BMI is over 25 and approaching impossible if the BMI is > 30.

For all you people who weigh 250 pounds and sport a flat belly -- I salute you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roentgen
@Vitold you tried to doubt my creds! Board Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon. Google me. I have all the street creds to discuss obesity and morbid obesity. I never used any BMI term or number. No one needs any BMI or BSA yardstick to prove 420 lbs at any height is anything but morbidly obese. Some other poster wants to throw out a HIPPA concern? Hah! The morbidly obese poster gave out his weight. He ain't my patient. Get your facts checked on what constitutes a HIPPA violation or just shut it, you are too ignorant. Lastly some other poster said I was giving advice...WRONGO. Stating a medical fact on someone being morbidly obese is just that. I never advised them to lose weight or diet, so be more cautious on false accusations, they can get you in trouble. I am glad I stimulated this fascinating discussion which was my whole intent. It worked!
Now back to OP...glad John McNeil responded. He too helped me upgrade from 5 to 6 seaters, without any play in my seats at 5'8" 160 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!

You appeared quick to shame the person for their condition - in other words not very professional. Also, given their height, they could be obese but not morbidly obese making your diagnosis inaccurate.

In any case, when person shares their personal information to help diagnose car problem commenting that they have unhealthy weight is akin of correcting other posters spelling errors and off topic.

Last edited:
Update on this situation. Got an email from Jon McNeill (President, Global Sales and Service), in which he stated:

Clearly the SC manager who informed me of the 250 lbs limit (and indirectly asked for my weight) was completely off based (and out of line, as Tesla's leadership agrees per my conversations with them).

@boardworks If you hear more I would greatly appreciate it if you could share, I'm torn because I see two sides to this issue. 1) The engineers may have truly designed it for <250# people and are now scrambling to not say that any more than they already have and still deal with the issue. 2) I'm personally over 250 and have owned a considerable number of cars over the years and I don't recall any others rocking (well, at least not any that I couldn't attribute to rotten floor pans in the clunkers I drove as a teenager). I'm impatiently waiting on my X to arrive and hoping this isn't an issue for me.

I'm quite aware that I'm extremely overweight and I'm not going to try to convince anyone it's muscle. Maybe this can be my motivation.

Moving off of that aspect of the topic, is anyone aware of any other manufacturer that has a weight limit (of any value)?
If 250 isn't the number, is it 300? 400? 900? 1400? Obviously there is a limit somewhere.

Reactions: SageBrush
Hey all – quick update on this thread. Elon connected me with a regional service manager who called and profusely apologized how I was treated. He indicated that there was no such weight limit, and that the issue was actually something they needed to fix. He mentioned they were committed to making things right. I'm working with this gentleman and the folks on his team, and will keep you all posted on the remediation. Thanks for the support!

Update on this situation. Got an email from Jon McNeill (President, Global Sales and Service), in which he stated:
Clearly the SC manager who informed me of the 250 lbs limit (and indirectly asked for my weight) was completely off based (and out of line, as Tesla's leadership agrees per my conversations with them).

FWIW I did a test drive in a Model X last week and did notice a small back and forward rocking in the driver's seat. I had just figured since this was a demo car it probably saw a lot of in/out and rougher than normal treatment. I'm less than 250 lbs (though not that far off these days) and it was very minor but perceptible. I might have even noticed it more because I recently noticed my Cayenne is starting to have the same subtle rocking, but that is after 70k miles.

However, I thought the front seats were a traditional design without the pedestal?

They are. They're a dual-rail system. So I don't think it's pedestal related, unless the OP is also sitting in the second row and has removed the first row.. because he's 8'5". Wouldn't that throw the BMI folks for a loop?!

We’ve got a team of engineers working on a root cause for the issue with your seats. I'm not sure where the 250lb reference came from as the seats are rated way above that level.

That does sound like it is a structural issue rather than something specifically wrong with your cars. Hopefully the fix isn't too difficult.