Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pass by a body shop on my way to work everyday. In the past 2 weeks I have noticed 6 Tesla's show up there with almost identical damage to the front bumper. Am wondering whether this is due to the fender being too low or if there is a systemic problem with the front fender/nose? More than the rear camera, we need a front camera or proximity sensor. I am always worried about hitting the curb now.

Worried that this may raise the already high insurance premiums. Any thoughts / comments on what could be causing these fender benders....

Attachments

• WP_20130624_001.jpg
    WP_20130624_001.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,343
  • WP_20130624_002.jpg
    WP_20130624_002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,389
  • WP_20130718_001.jpg
    WP_20130718_001.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,330
  • WP_20130719_001.jpg
    WP_20130719_001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,289
I pass by a body shop on my way to work everyday. In the past 2 weeks I have noticed 6 Tesla's show up there with almost identical damage to the front bumper. Am wondering whether this is due to the fender being too low or if there is a systemic problem with the front fender/nose? More than the rear camera, we need a front camera or proximity sensor. I am always worried about hitting the curb now.

Worried that this may raise the already high insurance premiums. Any thoughts / comments on what could be causing these fender benders....

That just looks like a bunch of cars who are missing their front bumper. We can't conclude that the "damage" to these cars was identical at all. Bumpers exist because they are by far the most likely part of the car to be damaged (especially the front), so seeing cars with missing front bumpers is exactly what we should expect.

Well the damage is to the bumper so theoretically the damage is "identical" though I agree the cause may be different. The point is that for some reason 6 cars have sustained front bumper damage in 2 weeks. With the limited number of Model S in circulation and with my data being limited to just one body shop - don't you think that 6 cars showing up with bumper damage is high? I am trying to find out what is causing the bumper damage.

It looks to me like they may be doing something else. All of the cars you have shown have no damage. If that many vehicles had received bumper damage, you would see damage to part you have photographed.

Is it possible there was a group buy for some sort of service? Like color matching the "cone" or installing front parking sensors?

I agree with phat78boy. The cars appear to have nothing wrong under the bumper shell/nose and no hood crumpling or paint problems. I suspect someone is did some serious modding at that place, and now others are going to the same place to get the same quality service by word of mouth referral.

I agree with phat78boy. The cars appear to have nothing wrong under the bumper shell/nose and no hood crumpling or paint problems. I suspect someone is did some serious modding at that place, and now others are going to the same place to get the same quality service by word of mouth referral.

Either that or poor driving/parking skills. :redface:

The plot thickens. I did stop by the body shop to find out what was going on. They told me that "all these cars keep getting hit" and getting the replacement parts take a long time so they have them sitting in the shop. Apparently the front bumper is low and people hit curbs and even on steep inclines (there a lot of those in the Seattle area) the nose rubs the ground if they brake too hard or hit the slope at a high speed.

The initial hypothesis is correct, Model S is prone to front fender damage - drive with caution!

- - - Updated - - -

That just looks like a bunch of cars who are missing their front bumper. We can't conclude that the "damage" to these cars was identical at all. Bumpers exist because they are by far the most likely part of the car to be damaged (especially the front), so seeing cars with missing front bumpers is exactly what we should expect.

The damage is identical the body shop just verified it. They all hit the front fender and damaged it. Please drive carefully.

Apparently the front bumper is low and people hit curbs and even on steep inclines (there a lot of those in the Seattle area) the nose rubs the ground if they brake too hard or hit the slope at a high speed.

The initial hypothesis is correct, Model S is prone to front fender damage - drive with caution!

I don't think you can blame people hitting curbs on the design of the vehicle.

I don't think you can blame people hitting curbs on the design of the vehicle.

I would argue that the car sits much lower than most people are accustomed to. I think the parking curbs are usually a standard height and until the Tesla driver is accustomed to how low to the ground the car sits, these fender benders will continue to happen. I have had my car since the middle of May and knock on wood have not bumped one but I tend to stop way short of the curb. A front view camera would decrease the incidence.

Most of the cars I've owned have had low front ends. As a result, I have always chosen the option to raise the height of the car and only made the decision to buy the Tesla when I became aware of the air suspension option. At superchargers and elsewhere I have seen Teslas pulled in until their tires hit the curb, even though the front bumper scrapes over the curb. Since I live in San Francisco with hills and also have a steep driveway, I slow to a crawl, raise the car and go forward on a diagonal; all to protect the bumper. My remaining fear is traveling at a high speed, with the car in "low" position, and a sudden change in surface that will cause the car to scrape the nose. So far, hasn't happened but still of concern.