Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too young for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has come sooner then I've ever expected for me. Like most of my friends and Family, there were many years where I struggled and could hardly get approved for a 10k car loan. At the time, it felt like a slow process to get where I am today but know looking back and reflecting, I've exceeded those I know at a faster pace. I'm not used to having such expensive car. I'm used to owning cars in the 15-20k range and that was amazing enough to me. I felt success when I was able to buy a $36k 2015 Mustang GT at the age of 26 a couple years ago. Eveb at that level, I hardly personally knew anyone who had such a nice/expensive car.

Well, here I am today, just turned 29 and placed an order for a $90k car. (Taking delivery next week) and although it is within our means, it still doesn't sit right with me that I was able to do this and drive a car that's worth just about 100k... typing that didn't feel right lol it was always my unrealistic dream car but never at the age of 29. How did I get so lucky?

I wonder if there is anyone else here who almost came from nothing and now own a Tesla today or if there was anyone younger then 29 when their dream became a reality.
I still feel too young to have this car

Very inspirational man! Don't feel bad when good things in your life happen, chances are you deserve them and worked very hard to achieve those goals. I know the feeling, however, this is something you want to do and something that you deserve. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
It’s funny when I see people gathering around my car, admiring it and expecting someone older to be driving it. Then, I approach the car and tell them I own it. They’re baffled and ask what my job is. .

Has this ever actually happened, even once? you regularly come out to people “gathering around your car” and vocalizing the age they think the driver is? Then when they’re wrong, they ask you what your profession is? Where do you live that this is happening?

One thing I will say is that younger people actually probably have fewer financial responsibilities so if you're earning a lot then it might be easier on your finances in your 20s or 30s than in your 40s or 50s.

I'm 42 and my house and car expenses seem very small compared to my kid's school and sport expenses. In the sandwich generation, I'm also paying some (and/or planning) to help support my mom and my mother-in-law. All that's to say, count your blessings.

But also, I can't really justify $90k on a car. I just can't even if I can afford it. $35k was pushing it. Somehow we decided $50k was ok. I love my car. But I feel really weird about it. Reason? Because $50k on a car is $50k I'm not spending on charity, loved ones, my future financial stability... But also, I really LOVE my car. And I drive a lot, mostly shuttling my kid around for his sport.

---
My thoughts:
- I strongly feel, but have no judgement against anyone with different ideas, that luxury purchases like a Tesla are best made when you can afford to buy the thing outright (this goes for other lux items like pools, hot tubs, timeshares, cruises, jewelry, art, etc etc). That doesn't mean you don't get a loan but it does mean that you don't actually need a loan to get it.
- I strongly feel everyone should be donating at least 5-10% of their income to charity. And I do judge people about that one.
- I strongly feel that we should protect our own financial futures as much as possible so we're not a financial burden on others. That simply means we should save up for retirement, have some basic life and health insurance, etc.
- Teslas are very safe and it's hard to put a price on safety.

Last edited:
This has come sooner then I've ever expected for me. Like most of my friends and Family, there were many years where I struggled and could hardly get approved for a 10k car loan. At the time, it felt like a slow process to get where I am today but know looking back and reflecting, I've exceeded those I know at a faster pace. I'm not used to having such expensive car. I'm used to owning cars in the 15-20k range and that was amazing enough to me. I felt success when I was able to buy a $36k 2015 Mustang GT at the age of 26 a couple years ago. Eveb at that level, I hardly personally knew anyone who had such a nice/expensive car.

Well, here I am today, just turned 29 and placed an order for a $90k car. (Taking delivery next week) and although it is within our means, it still doesn't sit right with me that I was able to do this and drive a car that's worth just about 100k... typing that didn't feel right lol it was always my unrealistic dream car but never at the age of 29. How did I get so lucky?

I wonder if there is anyone else here who almost came from nothing and now own a Tesla today or if there was anyone younger then 29 when their dream became a reality.

I'm 47... got my MX100D at 46. Not really that young but I also came from nothing.

I've been lucky enough to buy my dream car 3 times. My first dream car was a Toyota Prius that I got over 15 years ago! I then replaced that car with a Plug-in Prius when Teslas were already around. I dreamed about an electric car and the plug-in was the closest I thought I would get. And of course, I didn't even consider a Tesla... not even in my wildest dreams.

Then the M3 came around and I was one of the first to reserve... and things got better and better and I started to look higher and higher... my targets became a MS75D... then a MS100D... and finally, I test drove an MX and simply fell in love. It couldn't be any other car. It had to be this one.

And I got it...

No one should be ashamed of the success they've enjoyed, unless they harmed others on the way to getting there. Enjoy your success.

Having said that, I'd never judge a person's success by the things they've accumulated, and it's honestly a shame that objects are used to represent success in our society.

I'd be more interested in the experiences they've had and the positive impact they made on other people's lives than the price of their car. So I guess I'd be far more impressed by a 29 year old who's traveled to Chilean Patagonia, or trekked the Himalayas, or spent a year in on a Kibbutz working for free, or joined the peace corps, than one who bought an expensive car.

I came from nothing as well, my dad was a truck driver and my parents divorced when I was two. I got my first new clothes when bought them myself when I started working at 12 doing a paper-round (I've worked ever since). I was lucky out of school landing in Finance and have been financially comfortable ever since. I've spent most of my money traveling, and while gadgets and cars and clothes rust and fade respectively, great memories never do.

Of course I love my Tesla too... :)

Reactions: arubinst
I've had more than 1 person tell me "you don't look like a Tesla owner" but I'm not sure what one looks like. Not age for me as I'm 60, married > 40 years, lots of kids/grandkids.

Then again, I ride a Yamaha sport bike as well.

I am truly blessed.

I bought my 1st Tesla 2yrs ago.

Life is short, enjoy each day with no regrets. I am 33 now and have 2 Tesla's and solar to power them and my home. Wife and 3 daughters with twins on the way to make it 5.

Enjoy every second.

Don't feel bad my friend. I got my 90D through some lucky coincidences after I sold my BMW when I was 27. Things happen. Enjoy your car and enjoy your life!

I strongly feel everyone should be donating at least 5-10% of their income to charity. And I do judge people about that one.

For years I've donated monthly to Doctors without Borders and Paul Watson's Sea Shepherd Conservation Society -- both missions are close to my heart.

But I grew up poor and did not contribute financially to charity until my family was financially secure. I felt my taxes was enough until I had more than enough through hard work, saving and smart investing, and always paying cash for cheap vehicles until I could buy expensive ones with all cash too. Paying interest on a car loan was nuts since I needed my credit to buy rental properties, then after the rents pay off the mtg the cash keeps coming in. Buying a Tesla with those funds at a young age wouldn't have me sleeping soundly hearing that flush of money. Now I have 2 Teslas and contribute every month to charities with the funds that keep coming in. So my advice is to build your investments for both you and charities when young then contribute later.

But in the meantime, charity work is important for those who can't afford to donate. It can be more valuable than money and also more rewarding than simply donating, especially assisting the elderly, disabled or helping the local animal shelter as we often do, taking pregnant strays into our home while they have their litter and we find homes. Admittedly, my wife and kids so the bulk of the work. I just get so damn attached to the cats and dogs it's hard to see them leave!

Reactions: Eevee
Has this ever actually happened, even once? you regularly come out to people “gathering around your car” and vocalizing the age they think the driver is? Then when they’re wrong, they ask you what your profession is? Where do you live that this is happening?

Yeah, I'm also curious about this one.

Driving a Tesla isn't really a big deal, it's not an exotic car or anything and fairly common.

I get a lot of looks when I walk up to my Tesla, partly because i'm AA, don't dress like I work in tech and definitely don't have the look of what everyone expects a Tesla owner to look like (that's on them, not me :))

When my wife and I decided to get a MS, it was because we wanted to finally reward ourselves for all of the hard work we've put in throughout our lives.
I've never owned a car with electric seats, a sunroof or - definitely - heated seats, lol.

I'm in my 40s, but i've always owned modest cars to make sure I had disposable income, and now that i've nearly tripled my salary in the past couple of years, i'm treating myself - f**k it :D

My MS P100D gets a lot of looks including many of our neighbors who want to take her for a spin. NO. Teslas are still rare in my neighborhood and most people don’t know the difference between a 75D and a P100D.

My son who is 11 and a car buff keeps telling me, his middle aged mom, that Sexy Hotness, our MS is “outta your league.” LOL!

Sexy Hotness - she was a showroom car, test driving her was what convinced us to get a P100D / her and named by the showroom guys - is completely pimped out. Wrapped in black satin. Check out the Supreme license plate holder and the Tesla symbols wrapped in chrome gold to match. She is hot. People smile and give me the thumbs up all the time when I am driving. Not sure if it’s due to Supreme or bc she’s a Tesla or the fact that she is a hype monster personified.

Attachments

• 48008120-002A-4620-898C-FBE1E0390931.jpeg
    48008120-002A-4620-898C-FBE1E0390931.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 51
Wow, this thread was brought back from the dead. Thanks guys and also, great stories! I honestly felt like it just wasn’t common for some young scrub like myself to own such a thing. For a while, I just felt... out of place. Especially during delivery day when the couple next to me who was taking delivery of basically the same car, was wearing Gucci and Prada... or what seemed like it to me lol nothing wrong with that, just a whole different league compared to my wife and I. I love the car and I’ve grown more “comfortable” with ownership since this was posted.
Side note, before the car, we spent a lot of money on experiences and travel. Got engaged in Paris and Married in Bali. Traveled and done just about everything from riding elephants to skydiving together. So a “luxury”car for the adventuress didn’t fit our “style” :p