Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery Sunday - initial impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next vehicle Tesla makes should definitely be a minivan. I would have loved a vehicle with more headroom, a bigger rear window, sliding doors, and full reclining middle seats. One thing Tesla does incredibly well is take risks. Whereas the Sienna with the super sliding seats and ottomans have a million warnings about never using it while driving, I bet Musk would make all 6 seats recline fully. Like first class airline seating.
My family loves our Sienna. It really is like sitting in first class on an airplane. However, in terms of tech and drivetrain it's the polar opposite of Tesla. It's slow, but can move decently if you plant the pedal. But then, that's how it gets 36 mpg. The tech is also woefully outdated. I remember when I first saw the backup camera, I was thinking that it looks like 20 year old video quality.

Reactions: Manbutter
I doubt Tesla would make a minivan but I'd love to see one. We've actually looked at the VW id.buzz.

I have to ask, though - how do you need more headroom? I'm close to 6 ½ feet tall and I have plenty of headroom in our MY. Even with a sunscreen over the sunroof that sags a bit I have plenty of room.
The front seats are great! It’s the middle row and (real sorry if you selected:) third row that need more. Third row is unusable for anyone older than 11. You have to sit with your neck crooked and still bang your head on every bump.

I really like minivans’ low entry floor and high cabin.

Reactions: sleepydoc
My family loves our Sienna. It really is like sitting in first class on an airplane. However, in terms of tech and drivetrain it's the polar opposite of Tesla. It's slow, but can move decently if you plant the pedal. But then, that's how it gets 36 mpg. The tech is also woefully outdated. I remember when I first saw the backup camera, I was thinking that it looks like 20 year old video quality.

I love car shows (like Top Gear and Grand Tour) and read lots of car magazines. I was seriously all over the place the last 8 years on desired cars. Never seriously bought most but:

1) own a 2010 BMW convertible
2) fell for a Toyota Highlander because of the hybrid feature
3) really liked the new Honda Accord hybrid for its insane 48mpg
4) lusted after a Porsche 718 Turbo S cause all the mags said it was an incredible driving machine
5) wowed by the Sienna’s super slide seats with ottoman and its hybrid power train. Nothing like full reclining seating to put a child to sleep comfortably and leave you in peace.
6) bought my Tesla Y because of the amazing tech and autopilot.

Like I said, haha. All over the place. Yeah, also embarrassed that a car lover would ever consider a Honda Accord or a Toyota Sienna.

I love car shows (like Top Gear and Grand Tour) and read lots of car magazines. I was seriously all over the place the last 8 years on desired cars. Never seriously bought most but:

1) own a 2010 BMW convertible
2) fell for a Toyota Highlander because of the hybrid feature
3) really liked the new Honda Accord hybrid for its insane 48mpg
4) lusted after a Porsche 718 Turbo S cause all the mags said it was an incredible driving machine
5) wowed by the Sienna’s super slide seats with ottoman and its hybrid power train. Nothing like full reclining seating to put a child to sleep comfortably and leave you in peace.
6) bought my Tesla Y because of the amazing tech and autopilot.

Like I said, haha. All over the place. Yeah, also embarrassed that a car lover would ever consider a Honda Accord or a Toyota Sienna.
I'm kind of at the two extreme ends when it comes to cars. I want either a lot of practicality or performance. I told myself a while back that I would either drive a minivan (nothing beats them for practicality) or a sports car/coupe. I see the MYP as kind of a nice compromise between those two now that I don't need as much space as a minivan provides. I suppose the Rivian R1S is probably a superior compromise of the two extremes, but I can't realistically afford one and I love my MYP, so I'm happy.