Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top "Dumb EV Charger" for your garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone - my model Y lives in my condo's subterranean garage where there is no wifi. I'm looking to install a non-tesla EV charger (so I can charge non teslas easily in the future) however as I can't get any wifi signal down there it likely does not make sense to spend money for a smart EV charger as my app won't connect to the charger unit

Can anyone recommend their favorite non smart EV chargers?

I guess one more question for the good people of this chat - If I am having a nema outlet installed by my electrician, do I even need a chargepoint, juicebox etc, or can the tesla just plug right into the nema outlet
When you say NEMA outlet, all outlets conform to a National Electrical Manufacturers Association specification. If you mean the NEMA 14-50 (240V/50A) receptacle then yes, you can plug in your Tesla Mobile Connector into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle with the optional Tesla 14-50 power plug adapter ($35 US from the Tesla Store.) You do not need to buy, install a separate EVSE such as the Chargepoint or other brand of equipment. Your Tesla Mobile Connector with the optional NEMA 14-50 power plug is all you would need. One reason not to use your Tesla Mobile Connector is so that others could charge there too, even if they were not Tesla vehicles. Most NEMA 14-50 receptacles are not designed for being plugged, unplugged repeatedly. (This type of receptacle is typically used with a wall oven or a range. How many times per year or even per decade is the typical wall oven or range unplugged? Hardly ever. There are special built NEMA 14-50 receptacles for use in places such as RV parks. Those 14-50 receptacles cost quite a bit more but would last longer when repeatedly plugged and unplugged.

I second Rocky_H's recommendation for a ClipperCreek EVSE. Their electric vehicles service equipment is very high quality with excellent customer service should you have any concerns. For your condo garage the best option would be to hard wire the EVSE so there is no plug. Most manufacturers offer a version of their EVSE that is desired to be installed by an electrician. To use a non-Tesla EVSE to charge your Tesla you would need to to use the Tesla J1772 adapter that you should have received in the case with the Tesla Mobile Connector. Additional Tesla J1772 adapters are currently $95 US, available from the Tesla Store.

Last edited:
I guess one more question for the good people of this chat - If I am having a nema outlet installed by my electrician, do I even need a chargepoint, juicebox etc, or can the tesla just plug right into the nema outlet

Just plug in the Tesla Mobile charger. Note: Plan on somewhere to hang it up.
Do you need to worry about it being stolen or vandalized?

What kind of NEMA outlet? 14-50, 14-30, or 6-50. They are all good.
Unless you have a lot of daily mileage, 6-20 is also good.

A couple of potential caveats with a NEMA outlet. The electrical codes are a bit different for an outlet vs a hardwired appliance and you may need to get a GFCI breaker if you just use a NEMA outlet. Those can get quite pricey for a 50A circuit (>$100)

Also, if you are plugging/unplugging from a NEMA outlet it will wear out.

I have a modified Clipper Creek charger that I got from our electric co op since it allows me to get a discounted electric rate. Aside from having to use a J1772 adapter I'm very happy with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
My plug-in JuiceBox 40 has integral GFCI circuitry so I'm not sure why I would have to add a GFCI circuit breaker. Also, IIRC neither of my electric range nor electric dryer have GFCI circuit breakers. Admittedly I don't have familiarity with the NEC codes that other board member do so I'll wait for some of the smart people to respond.

You always need to use an EVSE for home charging.
Tesla calls it a connector. People often call it a charger. (It's not strictly a charger).
It's legally required for safety.

You can use the portable connector (UMC) that comes with the car. You can buy adapters for different sockets.

But, I would suggest that you buy another dedicated connector or other EVSE and reserve the portable connector for travel and backup in case of failure of your dedicated connector.

Another vote for Clipper Creek if you don't care about having a smart EVSE.
I have been charging a Volt with an LCS-25 (240V 20A max, hardwired) since 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
My plug-in JuiceBox 40 has integral GFCI circuitry so I'm not sure why I would have to add a GFCI circuit breaker. Also, IIRC neither of my electric range nor electric dryer have GFCI circuit breakers. Admittedly I don't have familiarity with the NEC codes that other board member do so I'll wait for some of the smart people to respond.
In 2017 the NEC was updated to require a GFCI on a 240V/50A circuit with a receptacle and plug such as the NEMA 14-50. The reasoning is that although the EVSE already has GFCI capability this does not detect ground faults at the power plug end, only at the J1772 charging cable end of the EVSE. A GFCI circuit breaker will help prevent the user from being electrocuted while plugging/unplugging the power plug. My electrician, who installed my NEMA 14-50 receptacle prior to 2017, did not think the GFCI was necessary in my NEMA 14-50 installation, inside my garage, when I asked him about it. It is however, now part of the code. Why not for a oven or a range; because you hardly ever plug and unplug those appliances. Also, the NEMA 14-50 receptacle can be installed outdoors (with a covered enclosure). I recall reading that outdoor use of the NEMA 14-50 was only approved for temporary use such as when powering a parked RV motorhome while the NEC considers an EVSE to be a permanent installation. It would makes sense that the GFCI would be required on NEMA 14-50 receptacles installed outdoors; there may have been cases of people getting shocked while plugging and unplugging 14-50 power plugs connected to RVs. Perhaps someone has better, more up to date information.

Last edited:
In 2017 the NEC was updated to require a GFCI on a 240V/50A circuit with a receptacle and plug such as the NEMA 14-50. The reasoning is that although the EVSE already has GFCI capability this does not detect ground faults at the power plug end, only at the J1772 charging cable end of the EVSE. A GFCI circuit breaker will help prevent the user from being electrocuted while plugging/unplugging the power plug. My electrician, who installed my NEMA 14-50 receptacle prior to 2017, did not think the GFCI was necessary in my NEMA 14-50 installation, inside my garage, when I asked him about it. It is however, now part of the code. Why not for a oven or a range; because you hardly ever plug and unplug those appliances. Also, the NEMA 14-50 receptacle can be installed outdoors (with a covered enclosure). I recall reading that outdoor use of the NEMA 14-50 was only approved for temporary use such as when powering a parked RV motorhome while the NEC considers an EVSE to be a permanent installation. It would makes sense that the GFCI would be required on NEMA 14-50 receptacles installed outdoors; there may have been cases of people getting shocked while plugging and unplugging 14-50 power plugs connected to RVs. Perhaps someone has better, more up to date information.
It has nothing to do with how often an appliance is plugged/unplugged. NEC requires GFCI protection for outlets installed in 'wet' locations and specifically lists garages as a required locations.

Even if the charger has built in GFI protection, that does not protect the outlet. It's analogous to saying that the outlet in your bathroom doesn't need GFI protection because your hair dryer has it built in. That solves the problem for the hair dryer but not the outlet.

It has nothing to do with how often an appliance is plugged/unplugged. NEC requires GFCI protection for outlets installed in 'wet' locations and specifically lists garages as a required locations.

Even if the charger has built in GFI protection, that does not protect the outlet. It's analogous to saying that the outlet in your bathroom doesn't need GFI protection because your hair dryer has it built in. That solves the problem for the hair dryer but not the outlet.
Thank you for the clarification. Does the requirement for GFCI protection for outlets in wet locations apply to all types of electrical outlets, for new construction and new circuit installation?

Thank you for the clarification. Does the requirement for GFCI protection for outlets in wet locations apply to all types of electrical outlets, for new construction and new circuit installation?
I believe it does. The relevant section of the NEC is 210.8. Specifically it says,
"All 125V through 250V receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (A)(11)...shall have GVCI protection"

If you are doing the wiring yourself I would recommend calling the electrical inspector to verify before you install. There are some grey areas in the code that can get interpreted differently.

I believe it does. The relevant section of the NEC is 210.8. Specifically it says,
"All 125V through 250V receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (A)(11)...shall have GVCI protection"

If you are doing the wiring yourself I would recommend calling the electrical inspector to verify before you install. There are some grey areas in the code that can get interpreted differently.
I'm not arguing against NEC requirements but there's more water in my kitchen and laundry room than in my garage and my dryer and range are not on GFCI circuits.