Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TOP GEAR: TESLA’S MODEL 3 IS A 'TRIUMPH'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t seen this posted yet.
Top Gear: Tesla’s Model 3 is a 'triumph'
Tesla Model 3

Performance is paramount in any Top Gear review. And it's reported that, "the Model 3 never feels anything less than enthusiastically fast... the whole car feels tight, alert and moves as one solid unit. Add to this the fact the battery pack is in the floor pan, which gives the 3 an unusually low centre of gravity, and there’s (whisper it) actual fun to be had here."

Cornering was a definite highlight: "On fast, sweeping corners [you] keep your inputs smooth, your foot away from the brake pedal and you can hustle it at quite hilarious speeds... The sensation is firmness, but well damped firmness, much like the sporty German saloons it’s looking to eradicate, but there’s purpose to its tautness – the chassis feels properly developed."

Last edited:
It is the prior host of Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson that Tesla will need to impressive. He was a large critic, and villain of Musk, which only continued in his Model X review for the Grand Tour season 2. (although, that review was much more positive, he was poking fun at previous altercations)
Seems likely the Model 3 shows up in series 3 of the Grand Tour, which I believe is filming now.

I haven’t seen this posted yet.
Top Gear: Tesla’s Model 3 is a 'triumph'
Tesla Model 3

Performance is paramount in any Top Gear review. And it's reported that, "the Model 3 never feels anything less than enthusiastically fast... the whole car feels tight, alert and moves as one solid unit. Add to this the fact the battery pack is in the floor pan, which gives the 3 an unusually low centre of gravity, and there’s (whisper it) actual fun to be had here."

Cornering was a definite highlight: "On fast, sweeping corners [you] keep your inputs smooth, your foot away from the brake pedal and you can hustle it at quite hilarious speeds... The sensation is firmness, but well damped firmness, much like the sporty German saloons it’s looking to eradicate, but there’s purpose to its tautness – the chassis feels properly developed."
No, this is a Triumph.
Robin
1978-Triumph-Drivers-Side-630x276.jpg

"...it corners like a wounded rhino..."
- Car and Driver review of a car in the 1970s
I really don't think the Robin corners like that. It was certainly frightening, compensated slightly because it was very, very slow, but still faster than the AC Invalid Cart which shared similar handling (FWIW, I am one of those idiots/fools who have driven them both):
1965-ac-invalid-car-on-display-at-bentley-wildfowl-motor-museum-BR7P4T.jpg

I cannot resist. AC was also the chassis source for this, which I also drove (because the owner lost his license so I became his lucky chauffeur fro a brief, glorious time):
7959451.jpg

Reactions: TI Sailor and e-FTW
Actually, a Robin is a Reliant:eek:
View attachment 296109
Both had similar quality control, as I recall. Anyway, I have been waiting months for an appropriate monument to post this, Robin. Anyway, I prefer the Navion.
The Navion manages to accomplish the magical aeronautical feat of being both nimble in handling and very stable. The Robin Reliant is also very stable, but only once it's safely on its side.
Robin
reliant_robin_02.thumb.jpg.451b70be1756ccbd7281ea5ba408215c.jpg

Back on topic. How will Top Gear react to a P3D? I wonder if there will also be a higher capacity battery coming for the 3 once the Models S & X have had their next range improvements.

Man, that article was a tough read.... sooo sprinkled with inaccuracies that would have taken them all of an hour of research to sort. That, combined with the sardonic (annoying) British "wit" made it a bit of a wince to read.

Here's the gems;

So, the Autopilot system – a $5,000 option, or $8,000 if you want to prepare the car with all the sensors and cameras it’ll need in the future

The extra $3,000 is nothing but a deposit on a promise of future full-self driving software, not any extra hardware. Not sure where they hell they got that from.

Also, how Tesla manage to make real hide look like pleather is endlessly fascinating.

Apparently the geniuses at Top gear don't know fake leather when they see it.

Modes like the Mars button that turn the map into the surface of the Red Planet, or the Santa setting (only available with Autopilot engaged) which turns your car into a sleigh, the road into a rainbow and other road users into reindeer. You will either find this fun or excruciatingly annoying

Something's excruciatingly annoying.

but it’s worth it for the endless view out through the full-length sunroof

It's not a sunroof if you can't move it. It's a glass roof.

don’t leave the key card inside the car and step outside only for it to auto lock itself moments before you realise you have no data signal on your phone. This may involve an embarrassing phone call to a Tesla PR who will unlock the car remotely from the comfort of the dealership.

1. I thought the fear of this happening was already proven false... as there should be no data signal needed to use BT to unlock the car.
2. If you "don't have a data signal" how did you call Tesla to unlock it?
3. They don't unlock it from the dealership.

“The graphic for setting your maximum speed on the cruise is also on the small side, tucked away in the corner of the screen – why not use the scroll wheels on the steering wheel for that? An over the air update will sort that out soon, says Tesla.”
Fantastic news. Doing the same for the following distance setting will calm the “3rd-stalk” pitchfork waving crowd (which I am a part of).

“The graphic for setting your maximum speed on the cruise is also on the small side, tucked away in the corner of the screen – why not use the scroll wheels on the steering wheel for that? An over the air update will sort that out soon, says Tesla.”
Fantastic news. Doing the same for the following distance setting will calm the “3rd-stalk” pitchfork waving crowd (which I am a part of).

Our 3 has the latest software (14.13) and no AP. The right scroll wheel works great for controlling dumb cruise control.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW