Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn Between Dual Motor LR and Performance [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the use case for where the LR, or LR + Boost isn't sufficient for your needs and the Perf somehow is.?

Are you racing other cars on the track or street? Do you need to compensate for a "short-coming" or need something to show off to friends? If so, get the perf.

Otherwise, think with your big-head and get the LR. Especially it is going to be your daily driver.
Then if you ever find that isn't enough for you, buy the $2k boost.
Oh, and get those after-market aluminum petals and carbon fiber rear spoiler if you must.

Are you racing other cars on the track or street? Do you need to compensate for a "short-coming" or need something to show off to friends? If so, get the perf.

This is a ridiculous statement. So those of us with performance are either looking to race in the street or compensating for low self esteem? How about we just enjoy the added performance, handling and appearance in all situations. Absurd.

This is a ridiculous statement. So those of us with performance are either looking to race in the street or compensating for low self esteem? How about we just enjoy the added performance, handling and appearance in all situations. Absurd.
Some people just prefer the perf. Nothing wrong with that. But here is a guy on the fence, how does he make a decision?

You missed the point, what is the case where the LR+Boost not good enough but the perf is?

I'm coming from a BMW M4. I like the LOOK of the brakes and wheels on the performance model, but I have long since realized that I won't ever used those features on the street. I'm also quite certain that my daily driver will never see a track. The cold weather performance of the tires IS an issue for me, because it's frequently in the upper 20s, low 30s during the winter where I live. Another set of wheels/tires would not really be practical for me (expense/storage). I'm leaning towards keeping the LR I ordered. I can always add different wheels/tires later. If they had offered an all season tire on the performance model, I might have been more tempted. The only issue is that every time I see a red performance model on the 20" wheels, I think "dang....that looks nice!" :) I'd also prefer the red brake calipers, but only for the looks. I KNOW I will never actually need them. I'm also an acceleration junky and that .5 sec advantage (performance over LR with Accel Boost) is still calling my name!
I was going to say it's impossible to tell someone else how something "feels", and that you should try to test both models; but now that you added to your original post, I'd say you should keep your order and get the $2000 performance upgrade.

Some people just prefer the perf. Nothing wrong with that. But here is a guy on the fence, how does he make a decision?

You missed the point, what is the case where the LR+Boost not good enough but the perf is?
Well only OP knows what he wants/needs but he’s coming from a 70k M4 so that tells me OP has a need for some speed and handling. The performance still offers at least 50hp more across the driving range, bigger rims, stiffer suspension and aggressive appearance over the acceleration boost LR. Is that worth 6k? It was to me and I don’t plan to race the car and I don’t think I’m compensating for shortcomings.

We all have our personal opinions but I think the OP will regret not getting the extra performance and since it cannot be added later, now is the time to get it.

OP is coming from a BMW M4 with 425hp and a 3.8 zero to 60. The awd lr with performance boost will match that car in speed but only at a high SOC. Again, only OP knows what his requirements are for a new car but the performance is really the only one that matches up to an M4 after drop offs due to charging rates are considered.
To be clear, my car was a 2015 M4 convertible with a 6 speed MANUAL transmission. The 0-60 time on it was around 4.4s if I recall correctly. The DCT convertible was around 4.2s. The LR AWD with boost will be about .5s faster to 60, so it's probably fast enough me.

Well only OP knows what he wants/needs but he’s coming from a 70k M4 so that tells me OP has a need for some speed and handling. The performance still offers at least 50hp more across the driving range, bigger rims, stiffer suspension and aggressive appearance over the acceleration boost LR. Is that worth 6k? It was to me and I don’t plan to race the car and I don’t think I’m compensating for shortcomings.

We all have our personal opinions but I think the OP will regret not getting the extra performance and since it cannot be added later, now is the time to get it.

That last sentence is what I am afraid of! There's some truth to the first paragraph as well. That's why I am on the fence. Nobody really answered my original question (or maybe I did not post it?). How does the ride compare between the performance and the LR AWD with 18inch stockers?

I was going to say it's impossible to tell someone else how something "feels", and that you should try to test both models; but now that you added to your original post, I'd say you should keep your order and get the $2000 performance upgrade.
I tried to drive both. Despite being told both were on the lot and then driving 4 hours to the dealership, only the LR AWD was available to drive. So, I have not driven a performance model.

That last sentence is what I am afraid of! There's some truth to the first paragraph as well. That's why I am on the fence. Nobody really answered my original question (or maybe I did not post it?). How does the ride compare between the performance and the LR AWD with 18inch stockers?
I didn’t test drive the LR but from what I have read the real differences are tied to the wheels and not the suspension. Perhaps someone with real experience can comment on the comfort differences but I suspect the 18s are definitely more comfortable. That said maybe I’m still in the honeymoon period but even riding the 20s here in western pa I haven’t noticed any unduly harsh ride and our roads are terrible.

To be clear, my car was a 2015 M4 convertible with a 6 speed MANUAL transmission. The 0-60 time on it was around 4.4s if I recall correctly. The DCT convertible was around 4.2s. The LR AWD with boost will be about .5s faster to 60, so it's probably fast enough me.

Honestly sounds like the LR AWD is the better choice based on your responses. I think those who buy the performance know at the outset it’s for them. It was never even a consideration in my mind to not get it.

Guys,

I have ordered a long range dual motor AWD Model 3. It's supposed to be delivered sometime in March. I'm seriously considering changing to a performance model. I really wanted a "stealth performance", but that's not available as far as I know. Has anyone driven the cars back to back who could compare the ride? I'm concerned about the low profile summer tires on the performance as I live in an area that sees 20s and 30s fairly often in the winter. I'd also like to know what accounts for the lower range rating of the performance model. My understanding is that the hardware is the same (battery, motors, etc.) and that it's the software that accounts for the greater acceleration of the performance model. If that's the case, why less range? Finally, is the acceleration significantly different in terms of feel? I know the numbers but I would like to know if there's really that much seat of the pants difference in the two cars.

Thanks for the advice. If I am going to switch to the performance, I need to do it soon. I figure that there is a $6000.00 difference in the two. There's an $8000.00 difference at purchase, but then I would buy the acceleration boost for the LR, so the real difference would be around $6000.00.

Todd
Honestly, Todd, I don't envy your position. I was lucky enough that the "stealth" Model 3 Performance was available when I got my car, and at the same price as what a guy would pay for a LR AWD with Performance Boost nowadays. So my decision was a no-brainer.

But if I was in your position today...

I'd buy the LR AWD with Performance Boost. I wouldn't be nearly as happy as I am with my P3D-, but since it's no longer an option, the LR AWD with boost is a fairly decent compromise.

But my situation is probably a lot different than yours; if I was ten years younger without 8 levels of my spine fused, I'd go for the full Performance, no questions asked.

The ride quality of the standard Model 3 is pretty firm, IMO. The ride quality of the Performance Model 3 is just way too firm for my old bones. And that one thing alone would keep me from getting the full Performance. When you add in the 20" wheels (not good on the horrible roads in my small town), it becomes a deal breaker... at least for me.

If you don't mind the harsher ride and the bigger wheels, you are getting noticeably better acceleration, better brakes, track mode 2.0 (which I LOVE, btw), tighter suspension, a spoiler and metal pedals (these last two I couldn't care less about). So far, the resale value of the Model 3 Performance has been pretty darn good, too, but who can say what'll happen going forward.

But in the end, only you can weigh the pluses and minuses and decide what's right for you. Regardless which car you get, I think you'll be thrilled with it.

Honestly, Todd, I don't envy your position. I was lucky enough that the "stealth" Model 3 Performance was available when I got my car, and at the same price as what a guy would pay for a LR AWD with Performance Boost nowadays. So my decision was a no-brainer.

But if I was in your position today...

I'd buy the LR AWD with Performance Boost. I wouldn't be nearly as happy as I am with my P3D-, but since it's no longer an option, the LR AWD with boost is a fairly decent compromise.

But my situation is probably a lot different than yours; if I was ten years younger without 8 levels of my spine fused, I'd go for the full Performance, no questions asked.

The ride quality of the standard Model 3 is pretty firm, IMO. The ride quality of the Performance Model 3 is just way too firm for my old bones. And that one thing alone would keep me from getting the full Performance. When you add in the 20" wheels (not good on the horrible roads in my small town), it becomes a deal breaker... at least for me.

If you don't mind the harsher ride and the bigger wheels, you are getting noticeably better acceleration, better brakes, track mode 2.0 (which I LOVE, btw), tighter suspension, a spoiler and metal pedals (these last two I couldn't care less about). So far, the resale value of the Model 3 Performance has been pretty darn good, too, but who can say what'll happen going forward.

But in the end, only you can weigh the pluses and minuses and decide what's right for you. Regardless which car you get, I think you'll be thrilled with it.

What do you use track mode for? AFAIK track mode is only used on the track and dangerous to use elsewhere? What would be the benefits of using track mode outside of the track?

Last edited:
What do you use track mode for? AFAIK track mode is only used on the track and dengerous to use elsewhere? What would be the benefits of using track mode outside of the track?
Where I live, there are numerous nearly deserted two lane roads out in the middle of nowhere that see maybe two cars a month.... and that's with me being one of them. IMO, these qualify as "a track." ;)

Edit: Just to be clear, we are extremely careful about this. We use radios and spotter vehicles to announce when there is another car entering the stretch of road we are currently on.