Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn Between Dual Motor LR and Performance [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven both the M3 AWD with AB, the M3P as well as the AWD Y and performance Y and the speed difference is not that noticeable. You can definitely feel the difference between the AWD standard and performance but even that is not major.

For me the choice is quite simple, if you intend to run the car on a road track the performance model is well worth the $10K price difference (Canadian dollars), you get track mode which is amazing, better brakes, slightly better suspension and performance in addition if you like the Uber rims its a win/win.

If you do not intend to track the car I feel like saving the $10k and spending $2k on AB is a much smarter investment from a on the street or drag strip scenario . Add in another $3-4K for lightweight rims/tires and you are further ahead and have better/lighter wheels versus the performance.

Funny how everyone has their own perception of speed from the "really noticeable' to 'not noticeable' etc. For me the difference is very noticeable. Definitely MUCH quicker to 40mph...then the P keeps the distance. Visually the P looks more aggressive too. Lower stance, bigger wheels, much better brakes. If you can afford the P get it. If you prefer range however, get the lower powered LR or SR! I for one am moving away from performance and more to range as a priority for my next vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: fuddy
Funny how everyone has their own perception of speed from the "really noticeable' to 'not noticeable' etc. For me the difference is very noticeable. Definitely MUCH quicker to 40mph...then the P keeps the distance. Visually the P looks more aggressive too. Lower stance, bigger wheels, much better brakes. If you can afford the P get it. If you prefer range however, get the lower powered LR or SR! I for one am moving away from performance and more to range as a priority for my next vehicle.
Quarter mile times show the difference between the LR+AB and 3P to be very close, the P still has a slight edge but its minor. As you said from a roll they are virtually the same, in fact the LR+AB will in many cases pull away given equal SOC. The performance however seems to be consistently quicker off the start.

Me personally I thought there was more value in paying the $2K for AB and buying far lighter rims/tire combo (which also looks better which is again subjective) compared to the 10K performance upcharge on a vehicle I would never take on a road track to actually take advantage of the brakes and track mode (track mode again is amazing IF you have a use for it). You still come out saving $4-5K

Reactions: Jeremy3292
My thoughts are that if you're going on a track then you should ONLY be looking at the M3P. Sell the Uberturbines and and use the $$$ get fund some smaller and lighter forged wheels with sticky rubber. If you're never going on a track, you should NEVER be looking at the M3P. Get stickier rubber and/or AB to scratch your performance itch. If you felt the need for AB and sticky rubber and new wheels and upgraded brakes, you should have just gotten the M3P to help with your resale value.

My track urges and performance itches disappeared as I got older, so it's SR+ for me.

My thoughts are that if you're going on a track then you should ONLY be looking at the M3P. Sell the Uberturbines and and use the $$$ get fund some smaller and lighter forged wheels with sticky rubber. If you're never going on a track, you should NEVER be looking at the M3P. Get stickier rubber and/or AB to scratch your performance itch. If you felt the need for AB and sticky rubber and new wheels and upgraded brakes, you should have just gotten the M3P to help with your resale value.

My track urges and performance itches disappeared as I got older, so it's SR+ for me.
100% how I feel, aside from the fact I go with the LR AB haha...I am not old enough yet apparently

mmmm shinny pedaaals...my precious !

no-ragrets-tattoo.jpg

Reactions: BnGrm and TBrownTX