Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total loss of AP, TACC & Visualisations - problem & solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping this description and solution might be helpful to other owner...

My M3 LR (March 2021) updated to 2022.16.3 on Friday. I was initially pleased with the new detail in the visualisation and think that pedestrians were picked up more readily than before.

However, on Saturday, I undertook a twenty mile journey with the rear mounted bike carrier in place. I noticed straight away that the visualisations had gone and that panel was just showing the M3 with distance lines as I passed other traffic or stopped in queues. Obviously it was in trailer mode and I know from past experience that AP won't work with something attached to the car, but TACC has always worked in the past. Once I was out of the urban area, I tried to engage Cruise, but got a warning bleep and "Cruise control temporarily unavailable" on the screen. Nothing I tried would sort it. I pulled over and did a reboot. I tried powering off the car for a few minutes; nothing. I checked the dashcam recordings in case a camera was playing up (although I would have thought I'd have got a camera obscured warning if so). There was no improvement after removing the bike carrier, disabling trailer mode and rebooting..

Having done some research, it looks like this is an error which occasionally occurs when the AP computer doesn't initialise correctly. I don't know if attaching the bike carrier is relevant, but this is the first time I've had this happen in all the time I've owned the car. Solution appears to be to allow the car to sleep for an extended period, so it has to re-initialise the AP computer.

So, I left the car to sleep overnight Saturday into Sunday and, sure enough, it was all back to normal on Sunday morning. I'm hoping it was a one-off as I'm taking bikes to the south of France at the weekend and to have TACC unavailable will make that journey a little less enjoyable. In short, I've no idea if 16.3 was a problem, or the trailer mode did something weird. Either way, letting the car sleep seems to be the solution - hope that helps.

Last edited:
However, on Saturday, I undertook a twenty mile journey with the rear mounted bike carrier in place. I noticed straight away that the visualisations had gone and that panel was just showing the M3 with distance lines as I passed other traffic or stopped in queues. Obviously it was in trailer mode and I know from past experience that AP won't work with something attached to the car, but TACC has always worked in the past.
We carry bikes on a carrier on the tow bar regularly. The car selects trailer mode, as it sees the towing connector. However, Tesla's documentation states that you should switch off trailer mode if you are not towing. For example, in Trailer Mode in the manual (pg 83 for 2022.16) it says for the yellow indicator "Model 3 detects a connection for trailer lights but Trailer Mode is disabled. It is likely that a carrying accessory has been connected" The only way to get this yellow indicator with a towing connection in place is to disable it manually. (There's a more specific instruction to turn it off if not towing that I'll post when I find it.)

We disable trailer mode with the bike carrier attached as we don't want the following to operate differently:

"• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
• Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
• The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist on page 124) may be limited."

These are sensible when towing (of course) but are not wanted with a bike carrier.

Everything works fine with a bike carrier mounted and Towing Mode disabled. The only downside is that the rear proximity sensors continually detect the bikes and show the rear proximity indictors on the screen. Ideally, Tesla should have both a towing mode and an accessories/bike carrier mode.

Any comments on or disagreement with my interpretation?

I literally was about to post this exact thread until I saw yours just now. Part of the problem for some people (myself included) is that sleep mode doesn't always come on! If you charge your car overnight, use sentry mode, or have 3rd party software regularly pulling data from the car, your car may never be able to enter sleep mode. A soft reset doesn't cut it if sentry is still engaged.

The solution that worked for me was turning Sentry Mode off, reformatting and removing the USB drive, and then doing a soft reset. I think I read on another forum that this is all because the FSD computer doesn't reset unless it's in sleep mode or capable of being shutoff during a soft reset? Also, to add to your cars list of "symptoms" automatic windshield wipers are disabled in addition to the GPS, Visualizations, etc.

Hope this is helpful!

This is possibly the same bug I was speaking about in this thread
If it is Tesla were asking people with the issue if it happens before they set off or while driving (for me, while driving).

Got anyone a solution to this problem?

Had all the same faults with a Freemont Model 3 from 3/2021 and even a front camera replacement didn't help.

Tesla states it might be fixed with a future software update but that's just a guess i think, because this fault is exisiting a long time as i can see.

Got anyone a solution to this problem?

Had all the same faults with a Freemont Model 3 from 3/2021 and even a front camera replacement didn't help.

Tesla states it might be fixed with a future software update but that's just a guess i think, because this fault is exisiting a long time as i can see.
Solution was included in my original post (which is why I posted it in the first place). If your car isn't recovering after a long period of being properly asleep, without being woken from the app or 3rd party access, then it sounds like you have other issues. Hope you get it sorted.

This happened to me the other week.
It occurred on a trip to Scotland from S England - typical!
So on the way north -no cruise control etc. I really missed the aids and it was a tiring drive as a result.
At Charnock Richard I was fortunate to meet some Tesla Rangers charging and they took a look at the obvious but reckoned it was probably a software issue rather than a hardware failure and I should book it in to a SC. So at next charging stop I booked an appointment on the app.
The next day there was no issue, everything worked as advertised.
The drive south was faultless.
SC appointment cancelled.

Solution was included in my original post (which is why I posted it in the first place). If your car isn't recovering after a long period of being properly asleep, without being woken from the app or 3rd party access, then it sounds like you have other issues. Hope you get it sorted.
Yeah it does recover but it comes back, without a warning and seems without a reason.

This happened to me the other week.
It occurred on a trip to Scotland from S England - typical!
So on the way north -no cruise control etc. I really missed the aids and it was a tiring drive as a result.
At Charnock Richard I was fortunate to meet some Tesla Rangers charging and they took a look at the obvious but reckoned it was probably a software issue rather than a hardware failure and I should book it in to a SC. So at next charging stop I booked an appointment on the app.
The next day there was no issue, everything worked as advertised.
The drive south was faultless.
SC appointment cancelled.
That's how it appears to happen for a lot of cars.

But what is the coincidence here? Made in the US? HW3?

Cars with or without Radar?