Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Loss or repair

• Total Loss

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Repair

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • It'll buff out..

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photos to come in next comment.
We've read so much to indicate either way, and we wont necessarily put our hopes in what comes through in the comments as ultimately it will be to the insurance companies, but we'd like to share our experience as it happens in case someone else finds themselves in the same boat. And we would still be very interested in hearing peoples opinions, and shared experiences.
Here's the situation:
- We were turning left (indicator on, have dash cam footage from all angles to show we were 100% driving responsibly and it was night time so you can see the indicator and everything).
- Young buddy it a kitted out (roll cage and all) Totyota Celica (or SC300 or similar) is way behind us, but speeds up like crazy and attempts to overtake us on the left and smashes into our car!
- It hit the front left part of our car. A millisecond more into the turn and my partner who was driving (I was passenger) would have been struck.
- It got towed to a yard, then to a repair shop.
- ICBC and the repair shops initial warnings to us before inspecting it closely were "don't expect it to get totalled. We'll see after the proper assessment.

We are in British Columbia, Canada, insurance here works differently to other provinces and the U.S.
We are hoping that ICBC declares it totalled, as we have third party insurance that would cover the cost of getting a new car and if this one gets repaired, it's going to be greatly devalued. It was only 11 months old. Also, we really don;t feel confident they could repair it and make it whole again, but maybe we are wrong in thinking that.
Anticipating questions, here's some key things about the the car and incident:
1) We've had two repairs on it due to a rear end incident, and an towing accident (mistaken identity, they began towing the wrong car - our car - and didn't use jackpoints so it caused damage to the underside and the rocker panels). Neither incidents were our fault, however likely reduced the cars value.
2) If ICBC decide our car was only worth, say 70k (random guess, no idea right now) before the crash, then the higher the repair bill, the more likely they will declare it a total loss, and no skin off our nose because we have the extra insurance that steps in to top up the change on what it costs to get a new vehicle. The car is 11 months old.
3) The auto body shop said they rarely see Telsa's totalled however, because they are so expensive. Ours had FSD too.
4) Airbags didn't go off due to the angle we were hit at. We likely would have been injured from them though had they of gone off so that's good. We have no serious injuries (just muscular-skeletal stuff that is being cared for by massage, physio, chiro etc and should hopefully resolve soon due to getting immediate care).
5) We were not using autopilot.
6) It was a 60km zone and obviously we were going much slower because we were about to make a turn. Conservative guesses for the speed of the other vehicle has been between 80-120km/h, but likely at he higher end.

Once it's all resolved, we'll share dash cam footage (not sure if we want to expose the other drivers embarrassing mistake just yet, or if it's legal while the case is still open). The other car was totalled. We initially freaked out, thinking he was dead when we saw his car, the whole left side was smashed in. Turns out he was in a right hand drive, and walked away from the incident. I'm pretty sure he's going to have worse muscular-skeletal complications in the future that we will though.

We welcome opinions and comments and will update as we go through the process. Also would like to add that I don't ever want to not be in a Tesla again. The low centre of gravity reduced how far our car got pushed, and the experience with our rental car is reminding us every second how amazing our model 3 is/was.

IMG_3640.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Glad neither of you were hurt, that’s the main thing.

I’m currently in the same boat as you, but about 3 weeks ahead time wise. Still waiting for the insurance to confirm final repair estimate and the. We can decide wether it’s a total or not.

My damage looks worse than yours but I also have a performance model 3. Mine is only 6 months old and has 2900 miles so a reallllll bummer.

Try and stay positive, insurance companies will be unlikely to total unless repair costs are more than Actual Cash Value of the car minus the salvage auction price the car will get.

My situation is slightly different in that the other drivers insurance has officially accepted liability now so we have options hopefully.

Best of luck to you with the journey, hope it goes the way you want it too.

I'm glad you and your partner are OKI
In case the car is not totaled, can't you claim compensation for the devaluation of your car with the person who caused the accident.
We are hoping that might be a possibility. We live in a province where there's only one insurer which is mandatory to get for your primary coverage, so technically we have the same insurer. The other person unlikely had additional coverage with a different company like we did.

That’s a close one. I see:

Front bumper cover
Left front fender
Hood
Front crash bar
Car looks low, so suspect front left undercarriage/suspension damage

Were any other panels damaged? IE driver’s door? And did any air bags deploy?
11months old, airbags didn't deploy (more details in the original post). Left front passenger door squeaks when opened. Technically a 2020 year but there have been previous repairs on it which would cause previous devaluation (a good thing for us as it means the repair cost will be closer to value of it precrash, but not new, then maybe we can use our additional coverage to get a replacement). Suspension was definitely damaged for sure.

Glad neither of you were hurt, that’s the main thing.

I’m currently in the same boat as you, but about 3 weeks ahead time wise. Still waiting for the insurance to confirm final repair estimate and the. We can decide wether it’s a total or not.

My damage looks worse than yours but I also have a performance model 3. Mine is only 6 months old and has 2900 miles so a reallllll bummer.

Try and stay positive, insurance companies will be unlikely to total unless repair costs are more than Actual Cash Value of the car minus the salvage auction price the car will get.

My situation is slightly different in that the other drivers insurance has officially accepted liability now so we have options hopefully.

Best of luck to you with the journey, hope it goes the way you want it too.
I was just reading your post today! We are in Canada so things might be al little different here but I'll be watching your journey. One thing I didn't mention was that ours has 20,000kms on it (we've done some great roads trips in it!). I hope your situation works out too!

You damage looks significant for the age and mileage of the vehicle. Be sure to get them to add loss of use and diminished value onto their calculations of total cost to “make you whole”

If car is worth $40,000 say and repairs are $25,000 they likely won’t total it. But if they add in the diminished value claim and the loss of use for 2 months of no car then it may push you into the total threshold.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and katbc
I think the FSD add on might actually be the tie breaker here, since that itself is currently worth $10k USD. It's an expensive fix for sure, but I am not sure if it's at the point of totalled. I would hope it does, since there seems to be some sort of structural damage to the vehicle.

Reactions: katbc
Mine was NO WHERE near that bad. Figured it would be repaired. NOPE. TOTALED. Claims adjust actually said with when they have a Tesla with airbag deploy (understand yours didn't) it's an automatic total since the airbags are so much and every time they start a repair it just ends up being way more expensive than planned due to subsequent issues as it goes through repair process.

Reactions: katbc
I think the FSD add on might actually be the tie breaker here, since that itself is currently worth $10k USD. It's an expensive fix for sure, but I am not sure if it's at the point of totalled. I would hope it does, since there seems to be some sort of structural damage to the vehicle.
Totally agree. That's one of our biggest concerns. I really wonder if they will include it in the value considering it's an add-on. We'd be ok if they didn't add it as our additional insurance would cover it's replacement. We will appeal any decision that isn't total loss due to it being devalued and we weren't at fault. It sucks that we'd have our car returned to us and repaired but significantly devalued. Apparently Tesla wont take rebuilt models as trade-ins and we were hoping to do that in our future.

Mine was NO WHERE near that bad. Figured it would be repaired. NOPE. TOTALED. Claims adjust actually said with when they have a Tesla with airbag deploy (understand yours didn't) it's an automatic total since the airbags are so much and every time they start a repair it just ends up being way more expensive than planned due to subsequent issues as it goes through repair process.
Your comment lifts my spirits, however many people suggest the high value may work against it. May I ask what year yours was, and the milage? Also.. any pics you have?? I'd really appreciate it for comparison. Our also had previous repairs on it (other accidents we weren't at fault for, but would have devalued it somewhat).