Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who's making plans? I've got a campsite reserved in Idaho (alongside a bunch of my cousins) that is right in the path of totality.

Anyone else have plans made yet? I'm looking forward to seeing the photos & hearing the stories.

I was going to post and found this! Yes, we have plans to drive up from Scottsdale with the dog. Going through Utah for a couple nights and ending up at Ashton with friends. Our plan is to get to Rexburg that morning. I think it has the longest total eclipse. Then head to Idaho Falls to charge and next stop is Eugene Oregon followed by California for family visits. It's going to be great! We were going to camp when motels cost more and if we can find a site.

You said north of Idaho Falls. Are you near Rexburg? Maybe we'll see you there or at the SC. :)

"Boozy jams"? Is that some sort of equipment that enhances the eclipse watching experience? ;)
Why yes. Yes it is.

From her online store's web site:
Because what the world needs now is booze. Boozy jam, to be exact. And lots of it.

<snip>

About Us
Miss Tasha started canning - as is required by law - upon moving to Oregon several years ago and discovering a wealth of fruit growing on the grounds of her 1890 Victorian, now known as The Manor. Her award-winning jams use only the finest local ingredients as well as the hefty doses of booze we all need to get through the day.

On a different web site saw these, Path of Totality Mugs (by state)
MUGS | Solar-Eclipse.Earth Path of Totality Solar Eclipse August 21, 2017 – tagged "PATH of TOTALITY" – Solar-Eclipse.Earth
mockup-2d8e920f_1024x1024.png

Last edited:
Although that looks nice for a camp site, I can't help but think some daredevil thrill-seekers will be back there on the freeway!
Darnit. I won't be able to do that this trip. 1) Because I'm driving, and 2) I'll be towing my Sylvan Sport GO. (Fun fact - a cousin is picking up his GO in time for this event, after checking mine out last summer.)

But otherwise!

Harvey Mudd College is also setting up an alumni trip to Madras, so I'll be there (with my Model S of course). Not sure yet whether I'll be driving straight to Burning Man from there, but I'll definitely be at the Burn as well!
I am a Mudder also, but likely much earlier than you, with no hope of seeing 2045 eclipse. I am driving my MS to Eastern ID. I have reservation for Logan Utah, just south of ID-UT border, 2 hour drive (without traffic) to center of path. Will start driving very early that morning.

I note the Superchargers in the area have only 4 stalls each. Is Tesla making any plans to have temporary additional chargers ?
Traffic could be totally stopped for hours around the event.

6 months ago my wife and I booked a room in Bend, OR. Early in the morning on eclipse day we will drive to somewhere near Madras to view the eclipse. I am stoked!

Have our eclipse glasses already. Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - The best prices you'll find on CERTIFIED SAFE Eclipse Glasses!
Newbie here! Got delivery on Friday. Headed to Sunriver (south of Bend) for the eclipse weekend, then will drive toward Madras in the morning. I'm a wee bit nervous to make this our first family Tesla road trip... but then again, electricity might be easier to find than gasoline :)

Newbie here! Got delivery on Friday. Headed to Sunriver (south of Bend) for the eclipse weekend, then will drive toward Madras in the morning. I'm a wee bit nervous to make this our first family Tesla road trip... but then again, electricity might be easier to find than gasoline :)

There is a supercharger in Bend and another in Klamath Falls. You can also find chargers using plugshare.com

We live in the 80-90% fringe of the eclipse and suddenly we have a full house. Friends discovered over the weekend they couldn't get closer and asked to stay here.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Good luck
Central Oregon braces for eclipse traffic
"Sandy Forman, event coordinator for Jefferson County Tourism Group, which is putting on the Oregon SolarFest in Madras, said the drive from Bend to Madras — which normally takes a little under an hour — could take more than eight hours during the lead-up to the eclipse."

Reactions: benemac
I am doing the same drive. Plan to get up very early!

Reactions: benemac
Good luck
Central Oregon braces for eclipse traffic
"Sandy Forman, event coordinator for Jefferson County Tourism Group, which is putting on the Oregon SolarFest in Madras, said the drive from Bend to Madras — which normally takes a little under an hour — could take more than eight hours during the lead-up to the eclipse."
Gah! Suddenly Seattle viewing sounds good.
Here is dumb question #1 (since there could be more): would an EV be better in gridlock? Does energy efficiency get better or worse?

Ok, this is getting pretty stupid. I'm planning to just turn around if I see any traffic from Pasco to Pendleton and south into totality area. Those local folks can forget about my tourist dollars if it gets bad. Sorry folks, I saw the total eclipse in '78 from my fricken back yard! It wasn't a big deal. 2017 won't be either.