Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. Sorry folks, I saw the total eclipse in '78 from my fricken back yard! It wasn't a big deal. 2017 won't be either.
"Sorry", but I've never seen a total solar eclipse. To me, it's a big deal and worth traveling 500 miles to see. You are welcome to completely ignore it if that is your preference.

Is the eclipse better to view earlier in the morning or later in the day? (Oregon it's around 10AM vs. closer to 1pm local the more eastern you travel)?
The duration of totality tends to increase as the path of the eclipses moves east , but the duration also depends on where you are located within the shadow since it is not a perfect circle on the surface of the Earth. See Eclipse Maps | Total Solar Eclipse 2017

I was able to get a hotel near Woodburn, OR earlier this year (I think it was the last room available within 100 miles). I'm hoping the Woodburn supercharger won't have a line around the parking lot. I originally planned to do the Madras thing but I listened to a podcast with the Madras event coordinator and he was recommending you shouldn't even attempt to drive to Madras the day BEFORE the eclipse.

"Sorry", but I've never seen a total solar eclipse. To me, it's a big deal and worth traveling 500 miles to see. You are welcome to completely ignore it if that is your preference.

The duration of totality tends to increase as the path of the eclipses moves east , but the duration also depends on where you are located within the shadow since it is not a perfect circle on the surface of the Earth. See Eclipse Maps | Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Hi,

I'm referring more to the inclination of the sun (reaches totality higher in the sky the further east). Which is better, a total closer to the horizon or higher up in the sky?

We plan to stay with some friends near Sevierville, Tn. That morning, we shall drive in the general direction of Lenoir City, or Sweetwater, as traffic allows us. I don't even want to think about what the Smoky Mountain National Park roads will be like!

Gah! Suddenly Seattle viewing sounds good.
Here is dumb question #1 (since there could be more): would an EV be better in gridlock? Does energy efficiency get better or worse?
Efficiency in terms of Whrs/mi gets worse (Whrs/mi goes up) in gridlock because all the energy is going into overhead and climate control instead of propulsion (low number in the denominator). This effect is not too terrible in summer since air con is more efficient than heating. The distance involved between Bend and Madras is not far so it shouldn't be an issue. I would consider getting a CHAdeMO adapter as a backup though. There are inexpensive, reliable, CHAdeMO stations in Redmond, Madras, Sisters and Warm Springs.

Efficiency in terms of Whrs/mi gets worse (Whrs/mi goes up) in gridlock because all the energy is going into overhead and climate control instead of propulsion (low number in the denominator)

It's not the overhead, which is really very low at any speed. In real stop-and-go traffic, it takes a huge amount of energy to overcome friction and get the car moving from 0 mph. If you do that alot, Wh/mi will skyrocket. But if you're moving along slowly but consistently, say 10mph or more, your consumption will be pretty good.

Reactions: David99
Sorry folks, I saw the total eclipse in '78 from my fricken back yard! It wasn't a big deal. 2017 won't be either.

Did you actually see the total eclipse? You have to be in a very narrow path in order to see totality. Watching a partial eclipse is like watching grass grow, compared to the very dramatic impact of a total solar eclipse.

If you were in Pasco back then, you didn't see totality.

Image1.jpg

I was able to get a hotel near Woodburn, OR earlier this year (I think it was the last room available within 100 miles). I'm hoping the Woodburn supercharger won't have a line around the parking lot. I originally planned to do the Madras thing but I listened to a podcast with the Madras event coordinator and he was recommending you shouldn't even attempt to drive to Madras the day BEFORE the eclipse.

I suspect the Oregon superchargers are going to be slammed. The Oregon State Patrol is saying traffic before and after is going to be paralyzing. Over the weekend we had several people we know contact us asking if they can stay here. We're about 70 miles from Salem and there is not a single room to be found south of here. One friend was going to stay with her cousin in Salem, but her cousin's house got too full with other friends and family staying that our friend is going to end up here. I think they plan to go down to Salem around 5 AM on the day of the eclipse.

It would be cool to see the full eclipse, but there is just too much going on and I'm too tired to go anywhere right now.

Hi,

I'm referring more to the inclination of the sun (reaches totality higher in the sky the further east). Which is better, a total closer to the horizon or higher up in the sky?
Higher up in the sky! Think of the extreme case. What if the eclipse happened right at sunrise? It would pretty much be a normal sunrise. Night becomes day.

I was at an annular eclipse, though I didn't actually get to see it because of a traffic jam. It happened right at sunset, and I couldn't really tell any difference from any normal sunset, so far as the darkening of the sky is concerned. It was daytime and then it was night time, just like any normal day.

In contrast, I saw a video of an eclipse where the sun was high in the sky. Then they pointed the camera to the horizon, and there was a strange glow in all directions. I would much rather see it when it's super obvious that something strange is going on.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
That was my first eclipse. Very exciting!

Check out the details of the one I saw in Mexico City in 1991:
Solar eclipse of July 11, 1991 - Wikipedia
It lasted for 6 minutes and 53 seconds at the point of maximum eclipse. There will not be a longer total eclipse until June 13, 2132.
This eclipse was the most central total eclipse in 800 years, with a gamma of -.0041. There will not be a more central eclipse for another 800 years. Its magnitude was also greater than any eclipse since the 6th century...

With permission from my cousin, who has been organizing the Family & Friends Great Eclipse CampOut ...
-------------

I have been preparing star charts for my effort at reproducing the “Eddington Experiment” (see my struggles with this at The “Modern Eddington Experiment”), which depends on observing stars near the sun. As I looked at the sky simulations I noticed that there will be some much more interesting features in the sky.

In particular, at least four planets will be bright enough to see during the eclipse: Jupiter, Mercury, Mars and Venus. And they will all be found along a single line across the sky: the ecliptic, the apparent path the sun takes across the sky, and all the planets follow.

I’m including a chart of the sky during eclipse. One planet I will be looking for is Mercury, which is so close to the Sun that it can only be seen a few minutes after sunset or before sunrise, just a few degrees above the horizon (which is usually clogged with trees and clouds).

During the eclipse, it will still be only a few degrees from the Sun, but the Sun will be high in the sky: near noon! You will never see Mercury at this elevation again!

You will also see Regulus, the brightest star in the constellation Leo, very near the Sun itself, and one of the reference stars I will be using in my Eddington measurements.

EclipseStarsAndPlanets2.jpeg

Bonnie et. al,

Good to see you and other people trying to detect the starlight deflection, it will be very challenging and I hope you are successful. Mars will be at magnitude 1.8 and Mercury at 3.3 (fainter), but it should be easy to find both in low-power binoculars, I will be looking for them also. As you have discovered, planetarium apps are great fun to use. My Sky Safari Pro for iOS has replaced all of my paper star atlases. I also will be looking for the rapidly approaching shadow from the west just prior to totality onset.

The event will be very exciting (and hopefully not too stressful)! Best wishes to all.

Oliver