Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
www.ventusky.com/?p=38.7;-92.2;5&l=clouds&t=20170821/18&w=0AAivpv2A

beware TMC likes to redirect through a tracker, you may have to copy and paste the URL.

The time marker jumps in 3 hour increments. Just look at the one before the eclipse, the one closest to it and the one just after (2 or 3 time slots) and make an estimate to interpolate mentally.

If you hit the play button beware it just goes forward indefinitely, that isn't a loop, the date will progress. Be sure you are still looking at 2017/8/21 when you get done with the play session.

Best if you have two monitors side by side and can put up the totality map on one and the cloud forecast on the other.

Ventusky now has hourly for the 21st so you can get a more accurate projection. Be sure to confirm the time of the totality and consider the map shows times based on the time zone set on your PC.

For me the totality is closest to 1pm Eastern and It's looking very clear in TN at that time.

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore
Just drove I55 through the totality zone in southern Missouri. All along the highway they have signs warning "No parking on the shoulder" Guess they expect people to be "stupid". What am I saying, of COURSE they are expecting folks to do dumb things.

I guess I'm stupid then, I had half thought about stopping on the side of I-75 or at one of the exits if it took that to find a spot with a gap in the clouds.

I was imagining cars down the side of the interstate for miles.

Here there are mountains and rivers and such, you can't just drive roads set at 90 degree angles. If the path of the totality cuts across a river I can't just drive a straight line to the next best spot.

fwiw I-55 looks like it'll be cloudy, I don't think being anywhere on the side of I-55 will help. Maybe a small gap on I-55 just short of St. Louis near the mastodon site, but most of I-55 will be cloudy (or isn't in the zone of totality).

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I went by the Tesla store locally to ask, they said 'yeah, the app showing availability is having issues'....nice to know it isn't just me - but frustrating for it to stop working now.

Thanks for the tip on those HPWC's....especially coming back from n Monday, it will be good to have other options if needed.

Dan

Idaho Falls Supercharger at 10:45am, Saturday morning. (I have no doubt that this situation will change, but just noting the current state.)

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Idaho Falls Supercharger at 10:45am, Saturday morning. (I have no doubt that this situation will change, but just noting the current state.)

View attachment 242464

You're fortunate to be headed mostly eastward. The N-S highway superchargers have been slammed for a couple of days. The thread on Mt Shasta and Corning superchargers are reporting long lines. There are gas shortages in some parts of Oregon too.

It's supposed to be 98.8% here. That's good enough for us. We're supposed to have a full house Monday night, but it's iffy anyone will get here with the epic traffic after the eclipse. My SO's cousin is going to be in Bend and stopping here on his way to Seattle afterwards (he lives in San Jose).

Another friend is coming in the day of the eclipse (he lands a couple of hours after it peaks) and wasn't aware it was happening when he booked his flight. He just wanted to escape Houston for a while. He got a room near the airport in case he can't get across the Columbia. Under normal circumstances we're only about 20-30 minutes from the airport. He's a retired Geophysicist, so this sort of science geekness is normal for him, but he'll be airborne at the peak. He might be flying under the max though.