Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more update:
Got a letter from my insurance that my insurance is now pursuing litigation against the other party. I guess they have not been able to get any money, unsurprisingly. It will be interesting if I continue to get updates on the case. I am sure it will move at the pace of the court system, which is....slow for civil cases.

Moral of the story: if you are going to drive around without insurance or a license, don't hit Teslas.

Do you think if it goes to trail you’ll be asked/subpoenaed to testify?

I suppose that is possible. Having never been involved in anything like this before, I don’t know how these things normally proceed. Maybe they just want to get his wages garnished or something so they need a judgment against him. I can’t imagine any of the facts are in dispute with my video, but I suppose anything is possible.

Reactions: SMAlset
Reading through this thread just now, this story is crazy. I will say, for anybody interested in an insurance company that works more quickly, we had a vehicle on my policy that ended up totaled when it was less than a year old. Liberty Mutual acted very quickly, the vehicle was paid off very quickly, and because we had the feature on our policy, they worked with us to calculate the value of a one model year newer vehicle to calculate replacement costs. Because the new model year vehicles hadn't even been announced yet, they looked at prices and depreciation for several years of this vehicle, made us a reasonable offer, and we had the check in our mailbox a couple days later.

I've previously had 21st century (later AIG), Progressive, and now Liberty Mutual. Progressive tried to screw me with a rate hike between quoting renewal and actually renewal time, so I switched to LM after well over 10 years with Progressive. I don't miss them for a second. Liberty has been great to me, their mobile platform has improved over the years, and they were there for me at the worst time. Sorry this reads like an ad, but I hate insurance companies that drag their heels for months after trying to "accidentally" lowball customers.

Reactions: Az_Rael
I suppose that is possible. Having never been involved in anything like this before, I don’t know how these things normally proceed. Maybe they just want to get his wages garnished or something so they need a judgment against him. I can’t imagine any of the facts are in dispute with my video, but I suppose anything is possible.
Yes you will most likely be subpoenaed to testify if it goes to trial. Many times they just hope you don’t show up and the trial judge dismisses the case. Remember, testifying is no big deal if you are honest and just tell them your observations and actions. Only time you won’t be required is if becomes a civil issue over payment and fault is not in question. Keep us posted.

Making lemonade out of lemons. Got hit today by a dude with no license and no insurance. Video here;

You can see that he appeared to decide to hit me. Not sure what the deal was, just very, very glad we were both OK. I went to urgent care after the car was towed for some X-rays, and am chilling at home with ice packs now. My first experience with airbags.

Here are the remains of my baby. Very glad I was in such a safe car. I was going about 55 I think when he hit me. Who knows how fast he was going. I had JUST put on my gray Arachnid wheels a month or so ago. Ah well.

View attachment 268054 View attachment 268055 View attachment 268056 View attachment 268057

Anyway: I chose a Blue Model 3 and got the 19" rims. Lemonade day. :).
Wow! Your lucky to be alive. It definitely could have been much worse. I hope you enjoy the 3!!!

Reactions: Az_Rael
Wow, Just saw this thread. Glad things worked out OK for you. Any update on the case. hope they could hold the other guy accountable. or atleast punish him.
Kim

No more updates. I never heard anything more from my insurance after the letter. Possible they settled with them out of court, or the case is still working it's way thru the system, hard to say.

Overall my first production 3 has been really good 40k miles in! It is fun owning the rare 2017 model. :)

Any big service issues you’ve had?

Minor stuff in Tesla terms. Two charge port door replacements, a couple of service bulletins for the suspension and I think the window regulators. Most annoying is a smelly HVAC (4 filter changes so far and 2 service center treatments). I think I am stuck with that one forever and will just have to change my filters twice a year when it gets bad. I have some rattles I haven't diagnosed and am slowly working to improve the wind noise.

Getting hardware 3 at the end of December, so that is cool.

Tha is cool. How did you get notified? I'm HW2.5 but down the list.

I had mobile service and asked about it. Mobile told me that there was a list, but I could ask to be scheduled and they would push those folks to the front if my car was on the VIN list.

So I made an appointment. So far they havent cancelled and I know they have looked at it.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset