Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so you if you get an attorney against this guy

Eh, the dude was in his 20s and had no license and no insurance. I am guessing that is “blood from a turnip” territory. I do have a supplemental accident health insurance as well as a $5000 benefit on my auto policy. Those should cover my deductibles for my main health insurance.

Also your dash cam isn't showing the vehicle speed - I always wondered if I should disable that in addition to disabling the internal mic in case the speed is used against me ....

I keep the internal mic off as I like to sing to the radio and I can’t carry a tune. No need for that to be recorded in infamy. :p It’s one button to turn on, if in a situation where audio might be helpful. I did disable the speed, as it’s using GPS so isn’t very accurate and I also did not want it used against me. Had to dig deep in the menus to find the option tho.

• Helpful
Reactions: run-the-joules
As odd as it is, I hope this is correct. After sleeping on it, he could have been reaching down into the passenger seat or something too. He wasn’t real clear on what happened after the accident.

It’s much easier to think he just made a dumb mistake than to contemplate the idea that he was intentionally trying to hit me.
I find it unlikely that he was trying to kill you and himself, but that's just my interpretation. Especially if his head appeared to be in the center, it indicates reaching down and people tend to steer left when they do that. My suspicion is dropping a phone or something and being a horrible driver and most would heavily suspect substances in his system. I'd look for a history of substance use, try to talk directly to the person and look on social media. Lawsuit is necessary and needed. You'll feel better with time, but this pissed me off on your behalf. Best to you and glad you are ok. Ugh. Thanks so much for positing the video, you may have saved lives just doing that.

I am looking for a recommendation on a high-quality dash cam.
I’d like one with two cameras, one front facing and one rear facing. I am more interested in quality than cost, although an attractive one would be nice. Lots of features!

The BlackVue 650/650S seems to be the accepted gold standard on the forum, and that's what he used here. I went with a cheaper camera because of the easy installation (it replaces the lower rear view mirror surround and plugs into the mirror wiring,) accepting some limitations as a result (no parking mode since the mirror isn't powered then, front view only, adequate image quality.)

Wow! Glad you’re okay! Thanks for sharing the video! I’ve been on the fence about installing a dash cam in our cars. Your video just helped me decide. Now gues I’ll start looking for a deal on 2 BlackVue kits!

Hope you feel better soon!

I am looking for a recommendation on a high-quality dash cam.
I’d like one with two cameras, one front facing and one rear facing. I am more interested in quality than cost, although an attractive one would be nice. Lots of features!

Wirecutter recommends one that's a bit cheaper than the blackvue. The Best Dash Cam

I am thinking possible suicide. Or just a terrible time to text on his phone. He seemed coherent, but he made comments that a lot of things were going on in his life and he was a bit messed up.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I remember seeing him, swerving to try and miss and then BANG airbags everywhere. A few passerby were amazed we were both OK. He was probably lucky he was in a Mercedes, another very safe car.

Going to head to the tow yard tomorrow to delete my info on the car and gather any remaining belongings (the car was still powered up when they loaded it on the the tow truck). Will get to test out my Ameriprise coverage with this. I went ahead and placed the 3 order so that can proceed while the insurance works itself out. I can't imagine any resolution other than a total.
Wow!! I’m glad you’re ok!!

Glad you're OK -- very scary video!

In terms of dashcams, Vortex Radar just published their 'best dashcams" video here:

Personally, I like the Blacksys dashcam. It's a little less expensive than the blackview with almost all the same features, and what I consider a better looking form factor (it's the one the BBmyCar guy uses -- the one in the video was pulled from his car, while all the other ones were just unboxed -- so that says something).

I feel like everyone just gets the blackview because everyone else does too. There are other options. If I didn't get the blackview, I'd probably go for the Thinkware as a close second choice.

I also have the speed disabled in my dashcam so it can't be used against me if need to use the video as proof. But also, the speed reported by GPS is very accurate, usually more accurate than most car speedometers which can commonly read +/- 5mph.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and Az_Rael
It's just a silly flesh wound. Nothing that a little duct tape and bondo couldn't fix. I know a guy who knows a guy.......
Glad you're okay!

When my husband showed up he pointed at the missing rear wheel and said “Well, there’s your problem!” followed closely by “that’ll buff right out!” :rolleyes:

I was on that road last month after I missed my turn to 14 on the way to Palmdale.
No moon night, wholly unfamiliar territory and speed demon locals.....no fun.
There but by the grace of god.....
Glad no one was hurt.
Woulda loved to have seen the air bags deploy on the video.

I am glad you are OK. Very scary situation caught on your dashcam. This is the most important reason for me to own and drive a Tesla... it can protect you and your loved ones from bad drivers out there being one of (if not THE) safest cars on the road. I have heard of quite a few people who have died in accidents caused by distracted/drunk drivers so I feel safety is the most important feature. I can’t wait until all cars have automatic safety features built in but I am also glad Tesla leading the industry in this area.

Making lemonade out of lemons. Got hit today by a dude with no license and no insurance. Video here;

You can see that he appeared to decide to hit me. Not sure what the deal was, just very, very glad we were both OK. I went to urgent care after the car was towed for some X-rays, and am chilling at home with ice packs now. My first experience with airbags.

Here are the remains of my baby. Very glad I was in such a safe car. I was going about 55 I think when he hit me. Who knows how fast he was going. I had JUST put on my gray Arachnid wheels a month or so ago. Ah well.

View attachment 268054 View attachment 268055 View attachment 268056 View attachment 268057

Anyway: I chose a Blue Model 3 and got the 19" rims. Lemonade day. :).

Wow, so sad to see that, but so happy you're ok.
It's a great advertisement for both the Model S and the Blackvue dash camera.
Thanks for posting, I trust you're Ok.

Anyway, G'day from down under. (Brisbane)

Cheers.

I've been meaning to buy a dashcam for years but could never really seem to pin down a reasonable one. Might pick up the Blackvue after seeing this wreck. Does it have to be hardwired, or is it convenient to just use the 12V plug? Any recommendations for a good installer in the Inland Empire?

Glad to hear that everyone is relatively okay. The engineering team deserves a medal.