Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yay! Picked this up today! Very different feel than an S - feels like a much smaller car. Lots of visibility up front, but I am still getting used to the speedometer and the weird blinkers, etc. Love it so far!
View attachment 271591

Will still follow up on this thread with how the insurance debacle works itself out for those following along.
Happy you got this so quick. Hoping external forces helped...? :)

Happy you got this so quick. Hoping external forces helped...? :)

Honestly, I don't know. I have not been contacted by Tesla in any way regarding the accident. It is possible that they don't throw you out of the queue immediately if you don't configure right away. So maybe chance, maybe not.

But I AM glad I was able to get a car so quick!!!!

Yay! Picked this up today! Very different feel than an S - feels like a much smaller car. Lots of visibility up front, but I am still getting used to the speedometer and the weird blinkers, etc. Love it so far!
View attachment 271591

Will still follow up on this thread with how the insurance debacle works itself out for those following along.
Swoon, that's my color right there. Congrats.

A quick update on the insurance side of the saga for those following along:

Got a call from my rep today and they have FINALLY determined the car is a total loss. The only explanation for how long that took was the holidays and because it was a Tesla it was more complicated. I am being transferred to a different rep now who handles total loss settlements.

I had also posted a few questions over on r/insurance and one person there recommended I obtain my own police report for my insurance company. I went ahead and did that (cost me $10 plus some time), and it looks like it will move the timeline on this forward a few weeks for determination of fault/insurance/etc. My insurance rep was amazed I was able to get it so fast, she said it normally takes them WEEKS to get one, so now she can proceed with checking if the vehicle owner (not the guy driving) has any insurance, etc. That will greatly speed up the process to get my deductible back under my UMPD policy (I have a zero deductible rider on my uninsured motorist). She said they can contact the other party and run the car through the insurance database now, and start a 15 day clock. If they can't find any insurance within the 15 days, I get my deductible back and they go after the driver and owner of the vehicle directly for the $$ they pay out on my insurance.

I doubt they will get anything out of them, but it is nice to know they will have some amount of pain/hassle for driving around without insurance.

Lesson learned: get your own police report and give it to your insurance. Speeds up the process greatly.

I just got the e-mail from Tesla that my 2013 is coming up for the passenger airbag recall, LOL. Ah well. The passenger airbag is actually the only one that didn't go off in the accident, so I suppose the recall may still apply if someone parts it out.

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
View attachment 271591

I haven't been on in awhile so I am just now stumbling upon your post. So glad you are okay, that dashcam footage was chilling to watch! I was in a total loss accident about a year ago (someone ran a red light and totaled my Model S). My wife and I were basically unscathed. I ordered a new (check every box fully loaded :D) Model S soon after my accident, and had the 3 been in the cards at that time, might have done that instead! The total loss shenanigans with the insurance company took awhile for me too, but it all worked out in the end.

Enjoy that beautiful (and SAFE) Model 3!

Reactions: ModelX and Az_Rael
I just got the e-mail from Tesla that my 2013 is coming up for the passenger airbag recall, LOL. Ah well. The passenger airbag is actually the only one that didn't go off in the accident, so I suppose the recall may still apply if someone parts it out.

I remember a news story with some manufacturers recovering defective airbags from salvage vehicles to get them off the market. I wonder if Tesla wants to do something similar in this situation. I’d definitely check on how they and the insurance company want to handle your specific case.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
You'd probably be surprised how quickly you adapt when the steering wheel is on the other side. It's more dangerous walking because we look the wrong way before crossing the road and that can be fatal. But I've never had a problem driving on the other side, except for all the roundabouts in Australia that took some extra thinking before entering and exiting.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was texting when he drifted over but it sure does look like he's suicidal.

a monkey could drive in australia's simple road system, hence aussies are such crap drivers. The UK is a very difficult country to drive in (even for people from the UK). Only reason they don't have that many accidents related to foreigners is because the standard of driving in europe is generally much higher...

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
I was in a very similar accident in a Honda CR-V a while back. ( Sovnet bak rattet - krasjet med møtende bil )

The driver fell asleep and drifted into my lane. I probably had more time to react, as it happened on a straight section of road and a bit lower speed, but the outcome was quite similar, except the CR-V rolled over once before ending up back on it's wheels. (In retrospect, I should have turned more into the ditch, rather than simply gone right as much as possible without leaving the shoulder.) My wife and I both had some neck pain for a few weeks/months, but it eventually passed.

The footage gives me chills, so I'm glad to hear you're okay and in a new Tesla. The Model 3 seems to be extremely safe, for it's weight class.

I'm quite happy to be in a Model X now. There aren't very many safer cars, and it almost certainly wouldn't have rolled over in such an accident. And now I also have a dashcam for added protection. :)

Got a call from my insurance today, they are totalling out my 2013 P85 with 64K miles for $43K. That seems pretty reasonable, but I have asked for a copy of the evaluation report anyway to make sure all my options were listed correctly.

You might see if you can squeeze a few more dollars out of them. Tesla currently has a 2014 P85 with over 70k miles listed for $54,400. They have a few other 2014s with 15k to 22k miles listed for $61500 to $66300: Tesla Inventory Search P85 Listings

Yeah, that is why I am getting the valuation report. Browsing over on r/insurance, your best bet for arguments is on condition or options if they weren't included. Otherwise you have to come up with your own comparable sale prices (not list prices), which can be difficult without access to some of the industry databases.

I am going to mention I had the 21" wheels that I had just purchased, as well as see if they will compensate more for the fact that the car was under the CPO warranty until 90k miles.

Reactions: tracksyde