Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VandalSibs

I am One with the Force, and the Force is with me
Oct 28, 2019
Spokane, WA
Does anyone else have the issue of their touchscreen (screen side & the back/connection to the rest of the dash) heating up to crazy levels when it's sunny out? I've got the AC running (not super high power/speed, but still running), but it takes aiming the vents right at the display/stack to cool it off.

Ideas on how to deal with this, or am I just not running the AC high enough?

Does anyone else have the issue of their touchscreen (screen side & the back/connection to the rest of the dash) heating up to crazy levels when it's sunny out? I've got the AC running (not super high power/speed, but still running), but it takes aiming the vents right at the display/stack to cool it off.

Ideas on how to deal with this, or am I just not running the AC high enough?

Hmm, I've never noticed it. But perhaps I have't touched the screen immediately upon entering the car on a warm day.

It’s to be expected ... the heat load from the direct sun is intense. That said, the touch screen should be able to deal with quite a bit of heat and I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Take precautions like parking in the shade when possible and using cabin overheat protection. When driving, make yourself comfortable and don’t worry about the screen.

Reactions: VandalSibs
Look into tinting your windshield, particularly ceramic tint or something better such as nano-ceramic tint, or something such as 3M Crystalline. That should reduce the amount of heat coming in, of course, tint shouldn't be too dark for the windshield, I would say no darker than 70%.

Look into tinting your windshield, particularly ceramic tint or something better such as nano-ceramic tint, or something such as 3M Crystalline. That should reduce the amount of heat coming in, of course, tint shouldn't be too dark for the windshield, I would say no darker than 70%.

Thats what I’ve got on mine and the damn thing still get hot but it’s not always the sun beating on it, seems the screen produces a good amount of heat too.

It’s all under warranty if it fails so no worries

Reactions: BitJam
Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I've started using a sun shield in the last week, when parked - just got back to work last week, and it hasn't exactly been sunny or warm here in Eastern Washington...

I did notice that this would happen even when driving too, but I'm guessing that's just because I didn't have the A/C going very much to extend range.

Would love to tint/coat the windshield, but that's just out of the budget right now - wife and I are saving for a house down payment, so any spare money is going towards that right now.

I'm just wondering why the concern over the screen getting warm. Mine has never gotten anywhere close to being hot enough to burn me, so I never worried about it. I've also never heard of heat being blamed as a cause of failure for these things… Come to think of it, I can't recall hearing of one break.

Is there a reason to worry about this?

I'm just wondering why the concern over the screen getting warm. Mine has never gotten anywhere close to being hot enough to burn me, so I never worried about it. I've also never heard of heat being blamed as a cause of failure for these things… Come to think of it, I can't recall hearing of one break.

Is there a reason to worry about this?

Yeah, I worry - I work IT, and overheating electronics is one thing that you really don't want to have. And when your car is nothing but electronics, then I'm gonna worry about things getting hot.

Yeah, I worry - I work IT, and overheating electronics is one thing that you really don't want to have. And when your car is nothing but electronics, then I'm gonna worry about things getting hot.

Fair enough.

I live up north, but there are a huge amount of owners from Southern California and other places far warmer than here. Without being privy to the temperature specs use when designing these components, I look for failures from those pushing the extremes. If this is a weak point, I imagine we would see failures from those much closer to the equator than I am, and so far I haven't seen any. I suppose I've got bigger things to worry about, like tire wear.