Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen unresponsive - Press scroll wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a few times but then about 3 months ago it started all the time. Would reset 3-4 times and sometimes immediately unresponsive and other times responded for like 30 seconds - five minutes but then went unresponsive for rest of day. Probably rebooted 300+ times over few months and it was always unresponsive when needed it - drove me crazy. Needed to use defrost, enter or cancel navigation, maybe listen to something different, turn on a heated seat/wheel, autopark, etc. 90% of the car is on that screen!

So Tesla tired 3 times to fix it. On this 3rd try just couple days ago they replaced the entire MCU/screen unit. Seems ok but it has been only day or so. Tomorrow I'm driving a lot so that should test it more. So I guess MCU's do go bad for some of us - sucks and hard to diagnose.

Good luck!

IMG_4944.JPG

Update - same message this morning after leaving the car overnight. Rebooted twice but still same message. Rebooted both centre display and driver console simultaneously (driver console rebooted using buttons under scroll wheels).
All working fine again!

Update :
Following day - Non-responsive screen again on three occasions - rebooting once or twice fixed the problem.
Today - same thing this morning, screen worked fine for a few minutes then froze - reboot fixed it.
Guess I'll see how it goes!

Update :
Following day - Non-responsive screen again on three occasions - rebooting once or twice fixed the problem.
Today - same thing this morning, screen worked fine for a few minutes then froze - reboot fixed it.
Guess I'll see how it goes!

Sounds like my thread. Had to get a new MCU after not being able to use screen for 3 months about.

Sucks when u want to use nav, turn something on or use features like autopark.

But really pissed me off when driving on tollway and suddenly fogged up and couldn't defrost. Be aware of safety issues with screen that could cause by not being able to use and fix soon.

Reactions: Tomnook
Sounds like my thread. Had to get a new MCU after not being able to use screen for 3 months about.

Sucks when u want to use nav, turn something on or use features like autopark.

But really pissed me off when driving on tollway and suddenly fogged up and couldn't defrost. Be aware of safety issues with screen that could cause by not being able to use and fix soon.

Thanks for your comment - much appreciated, I hadn't considered these aspects.

My car just gave me this error after about 3 months of ownership (pre-owned 2014 Model S). A reboot of the screen fixed it, but I am worried because my warranty ends in about 300 miles. Any reason to be concerned or have the SC take a look at it?

My car just gave me this error after about 3 months of ownership (pre-owned 2014 Model S). A reboot of the screen fixed it, but I am worried because my warranty ends in about 300 miles. Any reason to be concerned or have the SC take a look at it?

I’d suggest logging a ticket with the SC and having them look. This way if you end up with an MCU failure outside of warranty they may honor it as part of the ticket that was opened while under warranty.