TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Touchscreen unresponsive - Press scroll wheels

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Tomnook, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Tomnook

Tomnook Member

Anyone ever come across this one? I've rebooted twice and still the same message and no response at all from touchscreen. :(

2. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

What's the message?

3. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Yes it has happened once for me but it resolved on its own.

4. travwill

travwill Active Member

I did a few times but then about 3 months ago it started all the time. Would reset 3-4 times and sometimes immediately unresponsive and other times responded for like 30 seconds - five minutes but then went unresponsive for rest of day. Probably rebooted 300+ times over few months and it was always unresponsive when needed it - drove me crazy. Needed to use defrost, enter or cancel navigation, maybe listen to something different, turn on a heated seat/wheel, autopark, etc. 90% of the car is on that screen!

So Tesla tired 3 times to fix it. On this 3rd try just couple days ago they replaced the entire MCU/screen unit. Seems ok but it has been only day or so. Tomorrow I'm driving a lot so that should test it more. So I guess MCU's do go bad for some of us - sucks and hard to diagnose.

Good luck!

• Informative x 3
  5. Tomnook

Tomnook Member

IMG_4944.JPG

Update - same message this morning after leaving the car overnight. Rebooted twice but still same message. Rebooted both centre display and driver console simultaneously (driver console rebooted using buttons under scroll wheels).
    All working fine again!

6. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Notify service...

7. Tomnook

Tomnook Member

Thanks - I notified them anyway to let them know how it was fixed. They replied to say 'thanks' and to suggest that often a back-to-back reboot does the trick. (Although in my case it didn't)

• Like x 1
  8. Tomnook

Tomnook Member

Update :
    Following day - Non-responsive screen again on three occasions - rebooting once or twice fixed the problem.
    Today - same thing this morning, screen worked fine for a few minutes then froze - reboot fixed it.
    Guess I'll see how it goes!

9. travwill

travwill Active Member

Sounds like my thread. Had to get a new MCU after not being able to use screen for 3 months about.

Sucks when u want to use nav, turn something on or use features like autopark.

But really pissed me off when driving on tollway and suddenly fogged up and couldn't defrost. Be aware of safety issues with screen that could cause by not being able to use and fix soon.

• Like x 1
  10. Tomnook

Tomnook Member

Thanks for your comment - much appreciated, I hadn't considered these aspects.