TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tough decisions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dan5, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dan5

Dan5 Member

So, I got my car in December of 2012

Recently Tesla came out with the P85+ and the backup sensors

These are retrofits that were not available at the time of delivery.

My way of thinking is that if I want to keep it original, as a historical collectors item (first completely built model from a new company, not discounting the Roadster, but that used a Lotus frame), since it was delivered in 2012, the first year of production, not to get those retro fit options

Then again, I like those features.

I just don't want it to be like modifying a Corvette:
    Like putting a manual transmission on a 1954 Corvette, you just killed the value or changing the interior, or adding AC on an older model, when the date of production was 1 week prior to when they started putting AC in production cars, making it not original. With Corvettes it's all about matching VINS, timelines, and originality.

I could get another bumper, and keep the tires, out I don't know about the other stuff like wiring, and stiffening the bars.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I wouldn't worry about modifying it to your liking especially if it is all done at Tesla. Even the Signature cars probably won't have much value in a couple of years. If you plan to keep the car 30+ years then maybe it might carry some historical value then. Other option would be to give that Model S to your wife and get a new one:smile:

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

This is the best option, finances willing.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm of two minds on this one.
    (1) I really like the parking sensors but am not sure I'm willing to replace the bumper for it.
    (2) I "get" what you're talking about above. It crosses my mind a lot as a Sig owner. For GP I wouldn't worry about it, I'd probably consider the trade-in option. More on that...

The federal $7500 (claimed again in 2013 after having done so already in 2012) and the no sales tax in Washington makes it pretty compelling to consider trading in for a new vehicle. In addition to the new options, you get a "battery reset" (from your current vehicle to near-zero) and the aforementioned $7500 can cover some of the replacement cost.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member