Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tough decisions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I got my car in December of 2012

Recently Tesla came out with the P85+ and the backup sensors

These are retrofits that were not available at the time of delivery.

My way of thinking is that if I want to keep it original, as a historical collectors item (first completely built model from a new company, not discounting the Roadster, but that used a Lotus frame), since it was delivered in 2012, the first year of production, not to get those retro fit options

Then again, I like those features.

I just don't want it to be like modifying a Corvette:
Like putting a manual transmission on a 1954 Corvette, you just killed the value or changing the interior, or adding AC on an older model, when the date of production was 1 week prior to when they started putting AC in production cars, making it not original. With Corvettes it's all about matching VINS, timelines, and originality.

I could get another bumper, and keep the tires, out I don't know about the other stuff like wiring, and stiffening the bars.

I wouldn't worry about modifying it to your liking especially if it is all done at Tesla. Even the Signature cars probably won't have much value in a couple of years. If you plan to keep the car 30+ years then maybe it might carry some historical value then. Other option would be to give that Model S to your wife and get a new one:smile:

Other option would be to give that Model S to your wife and get a new one:smile:
This is the best option, finances willing.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I got my car in December of 2012

Recently Tesla came out with the P85+ and the backup sensors

These are retrofits that were not available at the time of delivery.

My way of thinking is that if I want to keep it original, as a historical collectors item (first completely built model from a new company, not discounting the Roadster, but that used a Lotus frame), since it was delivered in 2012, the first year of production, not to get those retro fit options
I'm of two minds on this one.
(1) I really like the parking sensors but am not sure I'm willing to replace the bumper for it.
(2) I "get" what you're talking about above. It crosses my mind a lot as a Sig owner. For GP I wouldn't worry about it, I'd probably consider the trade-in option. More on that...

The federal $7500 (claimed again in 2013 after having done so already in 2012) and the no sales tax in Washington makes it pretty compelling to consider trading in for a new vehicle. In addition to the new options, you get a "battery reset" (from your current vehicle to near-zero) and the aforementioned $7500 can cover some of the replacement cost.