Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a EchoHitch also sold by torklift on my Model 3. It works well but be aware a bike rack will ding your range a good 10%.
Yes, at the end of my post about using our bike rack on our EcoHitch, I estimate that the range loss could be as much as 25% at highway speeds, based on a quick-and-dirty experiment driving the same route:

16_table.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg
I installed a EchoHitch also sold by torklift on my Model 3. It works well but be aware a bike rack will ding your range a good 10%.
Thanks for the reply. I did in fact get the Torklift hitch put on, and after some research I went with a Saris rack. I know that it's not the highest quality rack out there, but I needed to be able to lift it and put it on/remove it by myself, so the weight (under 30 pounds) was manageable.

Reactions: Yanquetino
View attachment 346131
Thanks for the reply. I did in fact get the Torklift hitch put on, and after some research I went with a Saris rack. I know that it's not the highest quality rack out there, but I needed to be able to lift it and put it on/remove it by myself, so the weight (under 30 pounds) was manageable.

Saris makes great products and has outstanding customer support. We have two Freedom Superclamp racks and love them.

Are there any other options besides the Ecohitch? I'm looking to install a hitch in the next few months.

None that I have seen. Having installed the ecohitch myself I can attest that it is well built and bolted right on with no drama. Unwrapping the bumper will be the most nerve-wracking part, make sure you have a partner to hold one end :)

Are there any other options besides the Ecohitch? I'm looking to install a hitch in the next few months.
Yes, I make one that uses the Model X removable receiver as I prefer that to the Ecolift receiver installation. About the same price as the Ecohitch. PM me for details.

Attachments

• IMG_7105.JPG
    IMG_7105.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7107.JPG
    IMG_7107.JPG
    472.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_7141.JPG
    IMG_7141.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7145.JPG
    IMG_7145.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7108.JPG
    IMG_7108.JPG
    614.8 KB · Views: 134
I just had the Stealth hitch installed on a M3. It took a Tesla certified body shop about 2 hours. The hitch was the same price as the torklift but they had a coupon code for $100 off. I am very impressed with how solid it is and can be removed/installed in about 3 min. I have not purchased the rack yet.

Reactions: xpitxbullx